South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #1  
Getting back into it

S/C/G: 170/ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Default Coming off Phase 1 and nervous

Phase 1 was hard the first week, and I had to constantly adjust what I was eating so I didn't feel hungry. Week two was much easier. I'm used to it and lost noticeable weight.

On to phase 2 as of yesterday and am a little nervous. For instance, today I was on the road for work. Ordered what I thought was a healthy salad - discovered the vinegarette dressing was laced with corn syrup, the salad was topped with really lovely looking croutons (very deluxe compared to grocery store varieties), and accompanied by a yummy bread roll. I ate the bread role, didn't use the dressing, and left the croutons.

That bread roll was so very good.

Any tips for not over doing in Phase2 when reintroducing foods?
smarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:35 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Congratulations for a successful completion of Phase 1, Smarkey!

On Phase 2, the real weight loss begins, and it's a plan you can follow the rest of your life. But you must begin Phase 2 slowly, introducing new foods one or two at a time, to help determine which foods may be triggers for you. Also, your weight loss will be much slower, but you will notice significant changes in your body measurements.

You will find a couple of great threads that are stickied in our FAQ section that are filled with lots of helpful information about introducing Phase 2. Check them out, and good luck!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:37 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

There's lots of great tips here for transitioning from 1 to 2 (we call it 1.5). They recommend the first week to add in A fruit or grain, and the next week to add in the opposite. You may find a grain in the AM sets off cravings, then you're eating all day...or fruit at lunch, etc. Find what works for you.

The bread was a definate no-no, but it's just a live and learn. Was it 100% whole grain (they almost never are, darned it)? Did you get cravings after eating it?

(FWIW - I was PARANOID after phase I about reintroducing grains. LOL...those were the days!!)
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:49 AM   #4  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

It's still really hard for me to give up the bread, rolls and croutons that come with meals at restaurants -- especially since the rest of my family isn't trying to maintain or lose weight, so they eat it. My husband knows that I don't want any of it, so he keeps it on his side of the table and tries to make it sort of inconspicuous.

As far as salads go, might as well just say hold the croutons right off the bat when you're ordering. When I order salads, I always say "hold the cheese, bacon and croutons, and dressing on the side." There is almost always an oil and vinegar option for dressing, or just a squeeze of lemon is really good.

There will always be mistakes - just forgive and learn from it. Introduce your phase 2 foods slowly. I've been on SBD for 2+ years, have lost all the weight that I want to and to this day, I still try to avoid plain bread (sandwich bread, rolls, etc. - even 100% whole wheat) because it causes me to want to eat everything and anything in the house. Other forms of grains (quinoa, oats, etc.) don't have that same effect, but it took some trial and error to figure that out.

Good luck!
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #5  
Getting back into it

S/C/G: 170/ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for the advice and encouragement -- and inspiration! I'm so impressed by all the successes on this forum - and loving browsing through the recipes.

I did have cravings -especially for sweets (and gave in a little) - for the rest of the day following that one bread roll. I'm going to extend Phase 1 for a couple more days and then start with fruit as a reintroduction. Really, really want to reduce the amount of wheat that I used to eat and stick to healthier grains when I do eat them.
smarkey is offline   Reply With Quote