South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 09-26-2011, 12:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 129/120/112

Height: 5 Feet

Default Question about sugar.....

Maybe you can point me to a previous post but, have a question about sugar.

What is the guideline around it? I mean, we can't avoid it totally because I find it in items we are allowed to have on phase 1, so if it's way down on the list of ingredients is that ok? etc... For example, we can have turkey bacon, but all the ones I use list sugar in it. Same goes for dressings, fudgesicles, etc... Hopefully, this makes a tiny bit of sense..lol

Thanks

Audrey
jerseygiiirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:32 PM   #2  
Amanda

S/C/G: 240/236/140

Height: 5'5"

just make the best choice of the things you have available to you. But i'd highly advise avoiding fudgesicles :P You won't likely do the diet perfectly but its about figuring out the foods you can eat that keep your blood sugar stable. While some of us do this "diet" as a quick weight loss, it truly will work towards giving you a lifelong ability to stay a healthy weight as long as you keep practicing what you learn during these first two phases Turkey bacon won't likely be an obstacle. Store bought spaghetti sauce is a bit higher. Fudgesicles.. well..
jasmtnljj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #3  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Some things like NSA fudgesicles actually don't have added sugar. Dairy products all have naturally occurring sugar (lactose) and that's allowed on SBD. There is some guidance in the Foods Allowed about dressing, can't remember off the top of my head. You will get different answers from different people so I'll just tell you what I do. I never buy anything with high fructose corn syrup in and generally avoid added sugar whenever I have another choice. Sometimes it takes some searching like dressings, jar sauce, salsa, ketchup, etc but for me it's worth it to eliminate as many sources of added sugar as possible. For me sugar is just a problem and the more I have in my diet the more cravings I experience, the worse I feel and the harder my weight is to maintain.

Last edited by CyndiM; 09-26-2011 at 02:00 PM.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 129/120/112

Height: 5 Feet

I buy items that offer no sugar added, sugar free, etc. I get the no sugar added Fudgecicles. I guess what I'm asking is the goal of phase 1 isn't to eliminate sugar 100% but limit to very minimal? Correct?? DF keeps going well this has carbs so we cant eat it and I want to smack him because we can't eliminate all carbs and sugar! Ugh. Well we both are losing weight so I must be doing something right. Lol
jerseygiiirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:01 PM   #5  
Amanda

S/C/G: 240/236/140

Height: 5'5"

I avoid anything that says sugar free. If i am going to have something sweetened I try to either take the refined sugar or nothing at all. So I dont know much about that.. For Phase 1 I was keeping my carbs under 50 and my sugar under 15 g per day. (i lost 9 lbs the first week) and now im on phase 2... i quit logging my food but I am going to guess I am around 75 carbs a day and probably still around 20-30 for sugar. Even my green beans have carbs to them but I dont worry about them. The only carbs I really think about are the ones that come from sugar and grains
jasmtnljj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #6  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I try to buy products that have no sugar, or that have it listed as far down on the ingredient list as possible. If there is no added sugars, the sugars listed on the nutritional labels is for naturally occurring ones like lactose. Salad dressings are recommended to have 3 Gms. of sugar or less on SB. Lately I have been using fresh salsa & guacamole on all my salads, so I don't even buy dressing any more and get my healthy MUFA's in.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

A good salad dressing line to try is Newman's own - not only are they very low in sugar, but they're low in carbs too and taste great. I'm on BFC and we keep sugar to 15 grams a day and are NOT allowed the artificial sugars as they promote cravings just like real sugar does.
WebWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:50 PM   #8  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

jerseygirl - I go by the adage of no processed sugars, no added sugar. The point is to get your body to a low on the Glycemic Index and keep it there. Some veggies, like tomatoes, have sugar in them. Naturally occurring sugars, like in milk and some veggies, are ok. Does that make sense?

So when the ingredients list "sugar" and it's lower than <5g and it's low on the list of ingredients, I say use your judgement. I'd choose balsamic vinegar over many salad dressings because of this. I don't *need* the dressing. Know what I mean?
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote