South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 09-18-2011, 05:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 129/120/112

Height: 5 Feet

Default Rotiserie Chicken bones, ok to use to make soup?

I'm brand new and went grocery shopping today and bought one of those rotisserie chickens and used the breast meat, but, can I make a chicken soup with the bones and the rest of it or would I be better off using a chicken stock that I know is low fat/cals?
jerseygiiirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I always make chicken stock from the rotisserie carcass (and I scoop out all the gelatin from the bottom of the container too). I even throw in the skin, because I simmer all the chicken meat and bones with some soup base (a powdered bouillon or a couple of bouillon cubes, a medium onion, the celery bottom and leaves and a couple whole carrots (I don't peel any of them, I just wash them and cut a thin slice off the root end of the onion and celery)

Then I strain the stock and put it in the fridge. In a seperate bowl I put all the chicken bits and putt that in the fridge - the now-mushy veggies I either toss or nibble on.

I usually let it sit overnight. The fat rises to the top of the stock, and it can easily be scraped off with a knife. The chicken also is easy to pick through - discarding the bones, skin, trendon, and any tough bits.

Then I reunite the chicken meat with the stock and add any veggies I want into the soup (this time, dicing them into uniform pieces).

As long as you scrape off as much of the risen fat as you can, your stock will be reasonably low-fat. Because you're seperating the meat out anyway, you can weigh or measure the chicken meat before adding it back to the soup and you can then divid the finished soup into portions and know about how much chicken you're getting in each serving.

You can save a few calories with a fat-free canned broth, but really not that many. And you don't get the wonderful gelatin, which gives the soup a luxurious fat-like mouth-feel without the calories of fat (because gelatin is a protein it has half the calories of fat, but it has a similar slippery mouthfeel when hot).

The broth also has so much more flavor, that you can add more water to the soup than if you were to use canned. You can also have more control over sodium levels (beware of low-sodium broths containing potassium chloride, a salt-substitute than many people find metallic and bitter tasting. Some people apparently can't taste the difference between the potassium chloride and regular salt, but for those of us who can, it's extremely unpleasant).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote