South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 04-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 249.2/see ticker/125

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Default I'm so discouraged!

So I just came back from my physical (haven't had one in 4 years (maybe more) and I almost cancelled 'cuz I hate going fat! So, scale sucks (weighed this morning...gain of 1/2 lb) Blah! 1 week with my bodymedia and keeping deficit about 1000 per day and I gain. Last month...bigger deficit, lose 4 lbs in 5 weeks. Blah. People say eat more. Some say eat less. I work out like a mad woman (nrol4w 3 days and c25k 3 days) plus am actived at home and work. I've been working out for 14 years and my diet has been okay for many of those...now for the past 2 monts super clean and my blood pressure is high??????????? WTF???? I just can't do it! I don't know what else I can do. I've done WW for months ...no to little loss...I've done SB...no to little loss...the only thing that ever worked was Fat flush and I don't want to ever do that again!!!!!!!!! I am so sick of conflicting reports on what to do and not do and what to eat and not eat and "you need more cardio" no "you need more weights"...........I've done it all and why??? Why can't I just lose????!!!!!!!!!!! I don't even want to get my labs done because I' m afraid!!!! In my mind, I am an active , getting healthy fit person but my dr must just see another fat person making excuses!!!!!!! You know what she said when I told her my struggles and showed her my bodymedia? Oh. some poeple just have low metabolic blah blah blah blah.....that's all I got. She did ask me if I'd ever seen a dietician and of course I have and the woman offered me a job!!! So blah!!!!!!!! I'm ranting...I'm sorry if I'm biU**&Y!! I can usually do anything I set my mind to and yet I am failing! And please...don't anyone say ...well you lost 4 lbs in 8 weeks...that's something...please don't because if it were you...it wouldn't be enough either. Oh, and I don't usually have a pity party but I'm having one now....
kmac1196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:35 PM   #2  
...Live.Your.Dream...

S/C/G: 186/180/150

Height: 5'6"

I am a tad bit afraid to respond to your post because it seems as though you are doing everything you should be doing, and I am sure there is oodles more that you have tried but did not mention here..

What about a trainer? Have you ever had one? I didnt start losing anything until I got a trainer that cared about ME and my goals.

The only other thing I can think of that made the difference for me personally was changing up my eating habbits. Some mornings I eat at 6:45am when I get home from the gym. Other mornings I wait until about 9am. Same with lunch- sometimes 11, sometimes 12, sometimes 2. Dinner is somewhere between 7-9. Thats me personally. It has worked for me.

In addition to changing up my eating scheudle, my workouts are different everyday. Never the same thing.

But seriously, I wish I could put my trainer in a box and mail her to you for a week(but then I would want her back). Have you considered getting a trainer that is focused on YOU and YOUR body.. not the main stream stuff? If not, its something to consider, just make sure they are certified and well educated..

I wish the best of luck to you, I know just how you feel!
WendeeLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:38 PM   #3  
Asses 2 Ash/Guts 2 Dust

S/C/G: 292/ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

Wow! I am new to weightloss...as in I've been overweight since 2000, and this is my first "real" attempt to change. As such, I'm just learning myself but wanted to take a minute to give you some support. It's sounds like you're doing everything right but if there's a tweak to be found...you came to the right place! SOMEONE here will have an answer...something you haven't thought or something you haven't tried. Please stay strong and don't give up on yourself! I KNOW this will work itself out!
JamiSue3916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:07 PM   #4  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

so, i know you're working out hard and stuff, but is there any possibility at all that you might have taken off some fat, but gained muscle? if you've been taking measurements or measuring body fat, that should be pretty easy to figure out.

also, maybe post your daily menus in our thread so you can have a better idea of where you might be going wrong.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:25 PM   #5  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I feel your pain and I'm currently going through it.

First I did south beach, lost 30 lbs with it, then I didn't lose anything the last four months of the year.

THEN I changed to Medifast and lost 8 lbs the first month! Then 6 in February, then basically nothing since then...

I am convinced my body has figured me out and that now I have to change things up yet AGAIN. With MF you only eat 800-1000 calories a day (nutrition is fine because it's all packaged food with the proper amount of food) and you don't need to work out.

I'm thinking of going back to South Beach diet again to shake things up once more and then once that stops working AGAIN going back to MF. My body seems awesome at maintaining just not losing!

Oh and btw I find for my personal body if I go over 1000 calorie deficit I stop losing
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:34 PM   #6  

I do post, Zeff...I use loseit and I post my menu on the daily threads. I'm keeping my proteins to at least 130 grams and my fats fall somewhere between 20 and 30% of totals. Carbs I haven't been concerned about because they come from fruit (which I haven't done everyday) and veggies and beans. I've had only 1 sweet potato (split in half and had before 2 heavy weight lifting days) and 2 bananas (after 2 heavy days). I'm OCD about measuring and logging. Oh, and who knows...I feel like I look heavier then when I started. No change in clothing that I can see. Pants still feel the same. Added....Oh...and how the **** can I have high blood pressure??///???????????

Last edited by kmac1196; 04-14-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:24 PM   #7  
Be happy.

(((hug)))
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:56 PM   #8  

I saw this post right before I rushed out of work and had to come back and answer you. I am frustrated for you!! I do have a couple of suggestions:
1. I think you should try to cut your calories down to 1200 per day. Someone here suggested doing Atkins induction for two weeks and I think it might be a good idea. You obviously need to shake something up with your body. Something isn't working.
2. You need to weigh more often. I suggest you weigh a minimum of once a week and perhaps for two weeks chart your weight day by day. You could be having daily fluctuations up and down and it would be useful to know.
3. What exactly is your blood pressure reading? When you say "high" are you talking clinically high or just higher than before? There is something called "white coat high blood pressure" which is basically high blood pressure due to anxiety about visiting the doctor. Could this be it?

I'm so sorry....I feel your frustration.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:10 PM   #9  

Thanks. It was 160/95 and then she rechecked after and it was 140 over 100 (and something). I thought white coat blood pressure but she said it was too high to be that. How can someone who has worked out for so long and had a clean diet for at least 3 months (really longer since I was on WW and other things) not have exercise control the blood pressure. She did say clinically high. And she wants me to monitor often of the next few months as my weight may come down (though I'm doubtful). I have been weighing daily again and i'm up today. Yesterday was the same and today I'm up. So one week with my body media and I gain. UGH! You know what's really pissing me off (excuse me)? My sisters are big (bigger by far then me) and do nothing...I mean nothing. I think they tried to lose weight once in all these years and they stay...big.....I never give up (save for slips here and there). Years of searching and struggling and studying and working out and reading everything I could read about weight loss. I've been on Body for life, ww 100 times, south beach, atkins, calorie counting, Jay Robb's diet, ...I'm sure there are many more I've forgotten. I have read countless bodybuilding magazines 'cuz surely they have the answers....I lift heavy weights (which I LOVE). And all this time...I'm the SAME WEIGHT!!!!! Down a few...up a few...down a few....blah blah blah...I'm sure I'm so whiney to you all right now and I'm sorry!!! I'm just blah. I was so focused on other things besides the weight that I though surely it will just come off eventually but so much time has gone by ........the absolute only time I ever lost significant weight was on FAT FLUSH and I don't want to do it again....here...look at my picturetrail.....user name kmac1196.....there are befores and afters and nows yuck! Was it the lower calories or the actual foods that she touts as the reason????? Thank you all for your support. I'm so embarrassed, too. Here I am doing my thing. Believing that this time will be different...this time I'm doing it....and my sisters chuckle because it's just another thing Kristen is doing! Well...at least I don't give up and I keep on going believing that I'll get there and then BAM....weight gain...High blood pressure and what's next??? Labs will come back high cholesterol and diabetes, too???? This is what I get for all the effort I've put in all these years??????????!!!!!!
Old 04-14-2011, 07:10 PM   #10  

In solidarity: I just weighed myself (even though I only really like to weigh in the morning and tomorrow is my weigh in day) and apparently I have gained 5.6 lbs. in the last two weeks. I have been on plan for the most part but recently started exercising, but who on earth knows why the scale does this. I am also shaking my fist at the universe, but we will get through this!!
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:19 PM   #11  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Kristen,

I am sorry! The last time you posted I went to the daily and looked at your menus and they did look fine. Now I just looked at your menu for yesterday,

B ff yogurt, cottage cheese
L OUT...planned...olive garden, salad, 2 breadsticks, 1/2 bowl Pasta Fagioli, 1/2 bowl chicken gnocci
S nuts, peel cheese
D steak veggies

I'd just say that I don't ever weigh after a meal out, especially an off plan one. When I've been eating OP, the off plan stuff sends my weight soaring. I think that Olive Garden meal would raise my weight by at least 5 pounds; white flour, gnocci, pasta and (I am certain) lots of sodium in everything.
Don't get me wrong, I eat those off plan meals I have just learned not to expect a decent weigh in afterwards...

I'm with you, I don't understand the "science" of WL...defecits...eat more...eat less, etc.

For years my BP was fine and then at some point it started being an issue. I went to the DR. and had a high reading. I bought a good home BP machine (under $50 at Costco) and started taking my BP twice a day so I could learn about my daily numbers. Reluctantly, I went on meds because it seemed that for me, it was necessary to get those numbers down.
What did I find out?
~SBD did help, but it took awhile for my daily readings to come down reliably.

~Being agitated, such as you even described in the daily chat, did raise my BP every time.

One thing I notice about me, is that once I get stressed I start retaining water like crazy. From yesterday to today my scale #'s went up 5# with OP eating...tweaked back and a cold. For me, I've chosen not even personally register the # on the scale at the Dr office because I always weigh at home without clothes. It never has had any similarity to my scale at home.

It sounds like your DR isn't very supportive. I understand that...it's been very hard for me to find a supportive Dr. here and I get very frustrated. Perhaps, if it's been so long since you've been it would be a good time to look for someone who could be more helpful. We all sympathize but we aren't Drs.

I really tried not to give you more "advice" and just tell you my experience because it sounds like the barrage of advice you've gotten has left you very confused and frustrated.

Is there anything about your last two months that is better? Again, I'm sorry you have had such a crappy day.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:20 PM   #12  

Thank you. Altough I wish you weren't struggling, too. Can I put a link?
http://picturetrail.com/sfx/album/listing/user/kmac1196
That's my page.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:25 PM   #13  

Thanks, Debbie. I actually ate out on Tuesday. So I had plenty of time to flush...yesterday I was at the same weight as the beginning of the week so I assumed that was gone. And although I go out once per week, I ALWAYS fit it into my calorie budget. When I ordered soup, I ordered half of a bowl. Normal people do that and shouldn't negate my efforts the other 6 days of clean eating. I appreciate your support. I am NOT willing to say that I cannot control my blood pressure. I'm just not. If you knew me, you would know that I hate anything that isn't in my control...not many things are. I have always gone after and gotten what I wanted.....knowledge is power, you know? Apparently not this time...too much knowledge has certainly left me worse off!
Old 04-14-2011, 07:26 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/135

Height: 5.0

I feel you frustration I have been the same weight this week I have stuck to my diet! I am trying not to get discouraged but it is hard. We got to hang in there!
rdnkgirl0701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:31 PM   #15  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

I'm sorry you've gotten such sucky news.

About your blood pressure: people often make the mistake of assuming that because eating a healthier diet and losing weight can lower blood pressure, blood pressure is firmly within our own control. Unfortunately, it isn't. We can reduce our risk factors, but we cannot remove them.

My mom had high blood pressure for 19 years before having her first heart attack at age 46. Her doctor (whom I consider in retrospect a murderous ignoramus) told her, "Oh, you're just a small-boned woman with a fast metabolism. You're like a bird, so don't worry about your 150/110 blood pressure." Her weight varied between 105 and 115 pounds throughout those 19 years. She did smoke--almost everyone did back then, it seems--but she was otherwise an active, fit person who had never spent a day of her life being overweight.

So unfortunately, some people are just predisposed to high BP. You're lucky. Your doctor's actually looking at it and taking it into consideration instead of telling you "Oh, you're like a bird" and letting it go untreated for almost two decades. You're still doing all the right things for your health, even if your body fails to cooperate with lower blood pressure.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote