South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-10-2011, 02:47 PM   #1  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Question Is almond flour allowed?

Is almond flour allowed on phase 1? or 1.5?
Any other flours allowed on phase 1 specifically??

Being a gluten free-wheat-free person, im trying to find ways to make buns and breads that i can eat for 1.5 or phase 2 when im ready to go there..

Can you use rice flour? or brown rice flour??
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:13 PM   #2  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Default Gluten-free baking on SBD

I have found it difficult to find information about these kind of alternative flours in relation to South Beach Diet. I think in general, if the whole product is allowed, then the flour would be as well, but in moderation as grinding a whole grain finely definitely increases its digestability. So you would have to be on the lookout for cravings these things might cause.

From previous discussions, I know that almond and peanut flour are OK. Also flaxseed meal, chickpea flour. BUT for Phase 1, the flaxseed and nut flours would be limited by the nut & seed restrictions outlined in the food list. So chickpea flour, or some other bean-based flour, might be the only types allowed in any kind of reasonable volume in Phase 1. I'm not sure about that, though. I haven't really found any bread-like substitute for Phase 1.

Kalyn's Kitchen lists brown rice baked goods for Phase 2, so it's probably considered OK. Here is a list of her gluten-free recipes. Also quinoa flour and oat flour should be OK.

I like Elana's Pantry for gluten-free baking; most of her stuff appears to be SBD-compatible. She usually uses agave as a sweetener and often uses almond flour. Here are Elana's Pantry bread recipes.

From a search of "gluten-free South Beach" I found this low-carb baking list, which would give you an idea of where to start, though you will have to decide on a case-by-case basis if these fit with the idea of SBD.

I think it would be hard to eat these things on a regular basis and lose weight - all of these grain and nut flours are pretty calorie-dense. And if they cause cravings and/or binges, then look out!!
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:45 PM   #3  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Thanks for the info... ive been baking with almond flour lately and havent found it to cause any cravings..and of course im using splenda in place of sugar, but no cravings..i actually find it hard to eat lots of this stuff..cause it seems so filling.
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote