South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 10-06-2010, 05:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 207/202.3/150

Height: 5'3"

Question Newbie with recipe questions

Hi! I'm new to this site. I am currently on the SBD phase 1. I've lost 4.7 lbs so far since Monday. Does anyone know of some really good easy recipes I can use instead of the ones in the book? It was pretty expensive buying the ingredients for this week. I'd like some more "single mom friendly" recipes. I am willing to work to lose the weight but was just wondering if there are some easier recipes.
Thanks to everyone!
andreaf125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:23 PM   #2  
The journey begins...

S/C/G: 215/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I love the stuffed portabello mushrooms in the book. But I deviate. I put fat free ricotta (I don't like feta) with frozen spinach (I'm anemic) and pignoli nuts (which are pricey) on a portabello mushroom and bake. You could switch the nut or skip it since the cheese has protein.
JillyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

Just follow the food list. I lost 10lbs on P1 w/o using the book's recipes!
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: maintaining

There are tons on here in the recipe section; check it out. I never used the meal plans in the book.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:08 PM   #5  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Hi! I've only ever used a few of the recipes in the book (the first one mainly) - I recall a shrimp salad and a cabbage salad. I checked out some of the later books from the library and I have made a few of those recipes - a veggie chili, some crab cakes, today's lunch of Romaine lettuce with tuna, edamame and avocado green goddess dressing.

Mostly I just follow the principles and use my own recipes and am always trying more. I get most of my stuff online and from checking out books from the library.

A good place to start is Kalyn's Kitchen, since she outlines everything in terms of South Beach Phase 1 or 2. Here is the index for the Phase 1 recipes. Other places I find lots of recipes are MediterrAsian and Kath Eats Real Food. Sometimes things have to be tweaked - like omit sugar or substitute whole wheat flour or pasta for white - but in general these recipes are almost always inline with SBD Phase 2.

Of course the recipes HERE are great, tested by the people posting on this forum.

I do a lot of bean salads, bean soups, roasted veggies, simple salads - such as Romaine lettuce with radishes and green onions, dressed with a splash of balsamic vinegar and olive oil. I've been making my own salad dressings. I do a lot of simple things like grilled fish or tofu with steamed veggie sides.

You can certainly go exactly by the book if you like the structure! But you definitely don't have to... good luck to you!!
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:35 PM   #6  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Love Kalyn's Kitchen, but honestly, the collection of recipes here (especially p1 entrees) is phenomenal. Pick and choose through the recipes available based on what is on sale that week at the store.

good luck!
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:17 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 207/202.3/150

Height: 5'3"

Thanks to everyone! I just found this site yesterday and since then I saw the recipe section. I will try some of those as well as some of the advice you've all given.
Thanks and good luck to everyone!!! : )
andreaf125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:22 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

You welcome Andrea.
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:45 AM   #9  
Be happy.

I love to eat - but cooking? Not so much.

Here are my favorites: Heidi's blog, recipe page

Most are quick and easy and use things you are probably used to buying. The few that are a little more work are definitely worth it IMO. They're mostly from this site, (one or two from Kayln's Kitchen) but I wanted a place to find my favorites quickly and easily so I put them in my blog.

If you like soups try the broccoli cheese soup or the refried bean soup. I can get home and have either of those on the table in no time. Both are tasty and my non SBD family and friends like them as much as I do.

I do a lot of stir fry meals too, and lots of steamed veggies with broiled or grilled chicken or fish. No recipes for those, but they're quick, easy and inexpensive.

Last edited by Heidi58; 10-07-2010 at 09:49 AM. Reason: fixed the link
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:38 PM   #10  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Welcome! I've never used any of the recipes from the book, either. For me it was pretty simple. For the most part I have taken my husbands and my food preferences and modified my recipes to be compatible with SBD. During Phase one I would make an acceptable main course for dinner and not partake in the grain/starch. Although my husband loved potatoes, he's quite content with sweet potatoes and the list goes on. I find with the exception of fried foods almost anything is tweakable....If you're in the mood to tweak a recipe and don't know how-just ask!

Best wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote