South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 06:12 AM   #1  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Default Toasty Tuesday

Fall may be right around the corner but we are hazy, hot, humid and drippy again. It is getting just a little old. We don't expect so much of this sort of thing in Vermont! Ah well heat or not DW picked up 8 giant zucchini and a bag of green peppers yesterday and the dehydrator waits for no one.

It's a pretty quiet Tuesday around here (I hope). I'm in office clean up mode this week. If we are hiring someone new I want to get the space cleaned up some and all that old and dated paper recycled. It's nice to work on a project that ends

How is your day shaping up?
Old 08-10-2010, 06:20 AM   #2  

Height: 5'8"

Hey Cyndi,
I hear you about the weather. I think our ac's are about to give up the ghost. They've been running full blast all summer...I'm looking forward to Fall, something I usually dread.

Maybe I'm just returning to seeing the Fall as a new beginning rather than January 1. Now that my son is in public school, and I work at a school, some of that excitement is coming back. Also, we have a big vacation planned for the first week of November so that is really something to look forward to - and then there is Christmas too.

Without really going into detail, I've been through an emotional wringer this summer over my mom's condition (not great) and issues with my boss. On the work front, things got so bad my boss actually assigned someone else to supervise me, which made me SO happy (I think she thought I would be insulted, but I'm just glad to have some distance from her). With my parents, not so much improvement, but something's got to give soon - I don't know how they will deal with another upstate winter - and I'm just not sure how it will pan out.

To cope with all of this, I started really exercising and taking Sam-E and using an artificial lightbox at work (my office has no windows). I think it's helping. Going off plan, while not great, wasn't terrible, and at least now I'm back with an exercise program in place.

Wow, I didn't mean to release all of this here. Looking forward to reconnecting with everyone. Have a great day!!
Old 08-10-2010, 06:29 AM   #3  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Good morning Matilda. It's lovely to see you back. I was thinking about you the other day and hoping all was well.
I tend to be a little variable with moods and really sticking to South Beach and limiting the grains helps a lot. Even though my brain swears it wants carbs they don't do me a bit of good. Have I asked how far upstate you go? I'm in Central NY every few weeks visiting my parents. It's a twist I hadn't really expected but a lot of my similar aged friends are finding themselves in the same spot. Taking care of you is the first and most important thing to do
Old 08-10-2010, 06:46 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Good morning!

It's great to have you back, Matilda! I've been thinking of you, as well.

While I'm tired of this hot, steamy weather, I'm not looking forward to the long, dark, dreary winter ahead. I do enjoy Fall, but it doesn't last too long. One of my granddaughters starts back to school next week, but Audrey & Maggie don't go back until the 30th, and Carley goes back after Labor Day. It's sad to see the carefree, lazy days of summer coming to an end.

This morning I have hairdresser's appointment before heading over to the farm for the rest of the day. We'll probably spend the afternoon at the pool, trying to keep cool.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:58 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good morning from humid and hot Delta.

Yes, Matilda, Fall always seems like the start of a brand new year to me too. I hope the situation with your parents stays stable this winter. It's very hard to "parent" your parents. I did it for years. I hope the new supervisor at work eases things a bit for you.

Cyndi, I thought of you yesterday as I used my mandolin to slice zucchini and used the guard! It was nice not to have pink slices! I think I over-dried my yellow beans - they look like macaroni but will probably be OK in soup. Enjoy the office clean-out. Pitching or recycling stuff is very liberating.

Linda, we won't be hot and humid in Cape Breton! Terri was in for tea yesterday and said to "Think fall." It always seems strange to me that school starts up in August. Around here it's always the day after Labour Day which will be September 7. Of course there are classes until nearly the last day of June.

The darling dogs are off to the doggie spa this morning. I suspect they may have very short fur since there seem to be lots of matted spots. They do enjoy their jungle of a dogyard but get burs and wee bits of stuff in their coats. I really should brush them more. I will make a trip to town to clear a bunch of silly niggles while they are being beautified.

Tomorrow Ilene, another MOD in here, is coming for lunch with her DH and another couple. I'm considering Salsa Chicken with salad and will order some whole wheat baguettes from the bakery at the store. I might bake that decadent rum cake for dessert if I have time tonight.

Right now, it's time to crank up my day.

Happy Tuesday!
Old 08-10-2010, 07:06 AM   #6  

Good morning everyone! I am into my second week of Phase 1...not quite sure how much I have lost since re-starting because I did not weigh when I restarted. I think I had gained around 5lbs over the summer....but I am not sure about that. Phase 1 has gone very well so far. I feel much better and totally in control again. I will post as much as I have time for here but I always read even when I don't have time to post. You chicks keep me on track....and I appreciate you all so much!
Matilda, I understand exactly what you are saying!! I also fell off the SB wagon this summer with eating but did start exercising, which I think helped me not to gain as much! I am looking forward to fall- the schedule and the routines are good for me! I will miss the lazy days of summer but not the heat!!!
Today I have workshops all day! Our county is hosting a Luau to kick off the school year. It's very casual and they have offered a variety of classes for teachers to choose from...so I have to get my kids to my moms house early this morning and get up there for my classes! Hope everyone has a wonderful day!!!
Hey Cyndi and cottage!!!
Old 08-10-2010, 07:06 AM   #7  

Hey Ruth!!!!
Old 08-10-2010, 08:00 AM   #8  

S/C/G: maintaining

Yep, toasty here too. Still in a heat advisory. Tomorrow we take our son and two friends to the lake and it will be too hot to sit on the porch, my favorite thing to do. The boys may even find the lake water too warm!

Hi Matilda!! I wondered how you were doing. Glad to hear that while things have been tough, you are taking care of yourself

Lisa - I have not done well with eating this summer either. I always think it should be easier this time of year but it never is. I read a post the other day listing all sorts of reason why that is. Regardless, it is great you are back on track. I am working on it too.

Ruth, Linda, Cyndi.

Off to work out with my mom. Next week we go back to our regular Fridays. Shopping and niggles. (Love that word!)
Old 08-10-2010, 08:56 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I think it will be beastly here today too. Hopefully we can get to the pool, but today is doctor day - DH has to take DD1 for her post-op checkup and DD2 and DS have dental appts. DD1 has been staying with my mother but is ready to go back to her apt, so I will have to take her grocery shopping, since she can't carry stuff up the stairs yet, and DD2 wants to go shopping for school supplies, so I'm hoping I can kill 2 birds at Wally World. I hate that place.

Spoke with the recruiter yesterday, they are going to send me an offer letter. Still on the fence about this.

Had a fabulous on-plan dinner last night and made the guacamole salad - Chelsea posted about it in the cool summer dinners thread. Don't know if the recipe is posted here, but I give it 5 stars - even DH, who doesn't care much for avocados, said it was delicious. And so pretty - all those bright colors and black beans. Definitely going into the permanent collection. As a matter of fact, I think I'll have the leftovers for breakfast.

Cyndi, I have developed a new appreciation for those big zukes this summer. I realized they are perfect for the grill.
Hi Mmc, I didn't realize you were Mathilda! It's great to see you back. I'm sorry you've had some tough stuff to deal with.
cottage, sounds like you have the end-of-summer blues. Not me, by this time in the summer, I am usually ready to move on to fall. I will miss the pool, though. Hopefully this winter will not be as tough as the last one.
Ruth, I am very happy to hear that you are using your mandolin guard. Your menu sounds great and very healthy - except the rum cake! I have put your recipe in my collection to try someday.
litar, enjoy your luau!
Karen, have fun at the lake. I hope you get your porch-sitting in. You reminded me, I have to do some porch sitting today. DH just finished repainting the porch floor and it looks fabulous out there.
Mel, thanks for the recommendation on spark people. I'll tell her to check it out. And congratulations on starting school - very exciting and I'll bet you and your son will both love it. I went back to school to finish my degree when my oldest was little. Your motivation is different because you're not just doing it for yourself. Adult students usually do really well.

Last edited by Schmoodle; 08-10-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:13 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 226/SeeTicker/170

Height: 5'8"

I hear all of you on the weather! I'm getting quite sick of 100+ degree days here in Kansas. Especially when the wind blows out of the south...makes you feel like you are in the oven! But I guess I'm getting used to it, since it was 95 the other day and it felt positively cool lol!

Day 2 of Phase 1 starts today, and so far so good. I'm worried about lunch today though; I have a Rotary meeting with lunch and I know that nothing on the menu is going to be approved for Phase 1. Since the place we meet makes the meal before we arrive and just serves it when we get there, no chance in getting a special meal made.

Here's hoping I'll get through lunch without screwing things up!
Old 08-10-2010, 09:41 AM   #11  
honeysox

S/C/G: 216/207/150

Height: 5'4"

Morning all! The heat must be everywhere. This week we're looking at 100+ temps most days. Last summer though we had a record 60 days of 100+, so I've appreciated the low 90's we've had mostly this year.

I'm on Day 9 and am really pleased with the results so far. I hope to jump on the exercise bandwagon next week. Draggin' my feet there. . .

Have a great Tuesday . . .

~~Sally
Old 08-10-2010, 01:07 PM   #12  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

This toasty tuesday I was supposed to get up and mow the yard, I wonder if my brain knew that and thats why it let me sleep till almost noon! Oy. no going out in that heat now! I can't believe I did that. I think I made the mistake of having some cocoa right before bed and I was just so awake and alert~! oh well. its a new day and lesson learned!!! Wanted to go to the store too but I hate to when its so late- Trader Joes is in an area of town that is always sooo busy. mornings are best to get over there. I may have to brave it anyway. We'll see.

Hope you ladies are having a great day!
Old 08-10-2010, 01:22 PM   #13  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Everyone

Boy, is my schedule off! I did wake up early but had a cup of coffee and laid down for a bit. I was sure suprised when it ended up being 7AM. We didn't make it to aerobics, but I did put my bike on and get to the pool with a long ride afterwards. Mom is here and it is kinda her birthday so I just put a SFGF rhubarb upside down cake in the oven. Not totally op but I figure pretty close. She has a dr appt this afternoon then we'll have a little suprise BD dinner tonight. Don't know if I'll get to pop in later.

Hope you are all having a great day!
Old 08-10-2010, 05:01 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

Hey SBD family! I have computer access in Nigeria! I'm trying to do the best I can on SBD while on vacay, but it don't come easy! I wanna see pics of the cake Debster!
Old 08-10-2010, 05:39 PM   #15  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Good news, Okie! Stay op the best you can! lol I am a better cake maker than picture taker!
Closed Thread