South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-07-2010, 11:28 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5' 5"

Default Motivating Others & Loving SBD

First of all, I LOVE this diet. I love the freedom from counting every morsel that goes in my mouth. I love all the wonderful recipes I've found that are absolutely amazing. But I'm especially loving my results.

Since I love SBD SO much, everyone gets to hear about it from me. I now have three friends who have already started it, two co-workers who have gone out and purchased the book and another co-worker who I'm going to be sending my food journal to. Isn't that awesome! I've NEVER had this many people so interested in what I'm doing to become successful at my weight loss journey on any other diet I've followed.

Oh...I forgot...there's another friend who I already sent my food journal to who wants to try some of the recipes...she's always hesitant about trying the SBD for some reason. But, she can't really deny that it works when I keep giving her my results...lol

I just love it!!
jyoyo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:36 AM   #2  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I feel the same way, very lucky to have discovered the SB secret and share it with others. The only thing is, people I tell about it never seem to stick with it and have trouble staying away from the white flour and sugar stuff. They think it's too hard. SB is a lifelong way to eat and I am happy with the results and how great I feel. It's totally worth it to me not to eat crap every day and feel crappy! You just have to make up your mind what is more important to you.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:08 PM   #3  

Height: 5ft 7in

I love this diet.. my cravings have totally banished. Bread is my favorite food. My mom was so surprised when I mentioned to her that I did not crave bread and I opted for veggies instead.
I am just so happy that my sister was always so encouraging to starting this. I guess the longer I thought about cutting out the foods the less I wanted to start this off. But by far this is the best decision I have made for myself.
biankita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 185/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

I love it too. Even though my weight loss this time around seems painfully slow, I feel good and am enjoying eating healthy foods. I am really not even tempted most of the time by my husband's and kids' junk food. I try to keep it out of the house but it keeps creeping back in!
Kslosingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:32 PM   #5  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

And when I explain it to people, I emphasize what you *do* eat - the 4.5 cups of veggies, the beans, the dairy, etc. - rather than what you *don't*. I find that when I focus on what I need to eat rather than what I can't, I don't even have the room or the desire to eat the no-nos. It just becomes a non-issue if I am planning my food well.

Encourage your friends to look over the "What's for Dinner?" and similar threads here. That's what brought me back to SBD, seeing the delicious things people are making and eating.

Without SBD, I honestly don't think I would have been motivated to try spaghetti squash or make kale chips or tuna muffins... But I LOVE it all! It's just such a reasonable healthy plan and keeps me making good choices, which I sometimes didn't as a calorie-counter.
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:35 PM   #6  
Midwesterner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaD View Post
Without SBD, I honestly don't think I would have been motivated to try spaghetti squash or make kale chips or tuna muffins... But I LOVE it all! It's just such a reasonable healthy plan and keeps me making good choices, which I sometimes didn't as a calorie-counter.
Without this forum, I doubt I would have stuck with SB. I didn't like the recipes in the book and had lots more questions that the book didn't answer. Thank goodness for 3FC SB forum!
Old 02-07-2010, 04:37 PM   #7  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

I share my success with SBD when asked. I'm so happy to be eating healthy, feeling great and also losing weight. It takes some thought when starting out, but after sticking with it for 3/4 of a year it's just second nature.

I just got back from a cake auction where my non approved goodies raised $100 for missions overseas. I'm just amazed when I can bake without temptation. We were supposed to take appetizers, so I brought veggies and hummus and didn't eat anything off plan-and felt fine with it. Returning home, I've thrown stuff in the pot for soup tonight and I have the afternoon to myself. It's so easy now!

I don't meddle much with off plan foods since I still have lots to lose. I'm confident that one day I'll be at a comfy weight for ME again!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:13 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/ticker/145 HW: 232

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphmitch View Post
Without this forum, I doubt I would have stuck with SB. I didn't like the recipes in the book and had lots more questions that the book didn't answer. Thank goodness for 3FC SB forum!
Yeah, thats the thing....the book's phase I plan is not very appealing to me. Rolls of turkey stuffed with cream cheese? Eating just ricotta with splenda for dessert. Sounds kind of gross....
I do want to lose weight...and I want to lose it fast. I don't think I would ever eat like this for long but there is no harm in trying to eat less refined sugars and flours. Staying on a diet for the rest of my life seems like living in prison to me. I guess I was just wondering if you y'all felt like that.
Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:29 PM   #9  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
Yeah, thats the thing....the book's phase I plan is not very appealing to me.
I don't think there are many that would follow the plan in the book. I think the idea in the book is just to show there is lots of variety. I took the approved foods list and made my own menu, and continue that habit today.

Quote:
Staying on a diet for the rest of my life seems like living in prison to me. I guess I was just wondering if you y'all felt like that.
I don't feel like I'm on a "diet" nor do I wish to be. I'm never hungry or deprived, and getting healthy for me is in now way like living in prison. I feel more like I've been given freedom from the cravings and not so healthy foods that used to rule my life.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:32 PM   #10  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Quote:
I do want to lose weight...and I want to lose it fast. I don't think I would ever eat like this for long but there is no harm in trying to eat less refined sugars and flours. Staying on a diet for the rest of my life seems like living in prison to me. I guess I was just wondering if you y'all felt like that.
No plan is going to work long term if you don't make changes long term. When I found this plan I knew I had to find something I could live with the rest of my life because I was sick of yo yo'ing. If you go back to eating the way you used to eventually you will return to the weight you started at, or higher. If there was a way to drop a lot of weight then go back to eating whatever we wanted don't you think everyone would be following it? You don't need to stay on a diet the rest of your life, you need to change your eating habits and find healthier habits you can live with.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:25 PM   #11  

Lexxiss-agreed. I guess its all about a structure of eating and a different way of looking at food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyndiM View Post
No plan is going to work long term if you don't make changes long term. When I found this plan I knew I had to find something I could live with the rest of my life because I was sick of yo yo'ing. If you go back to eating the way you used to eventually you will return to the weight you started at, or higher. If there was a way to drop a lot of weight then go back to eating whatever we wanted don't you think everyone would be following it? You don't need to stay on a diet the rest of your life, you need to change your eating habits and find healthier habits you can live with.
CyndiM-Thanks for the lecture. I have weighed 232 in my life and have been in the 160s since I lost it about six years ago. I was not on a diet that entire time by any means. I don't think diets necessarily mean an entire lifestyle overhaul....more just portion control. I am looking for something to help lose weight in the short run (wedding in May). South Beach is know for just that....
Old 02-07-2010, 06:34 PM   #12  

S/C/G: maintaining

I'll add my two cents.... as someone who has both succeeded and failed with this and many other diets.

This plan is great and allows tons of flexibility in food choices, even in PH1, if you are willing to put some effort into meal planning. The recipes on here are amazing.

There is probably no way to lose weight quickly and keep it off, without sticking to a plan long-term. If there was, we would all have heard about it by now!

I am a yo-yo dieter because I go "on a diet" until I reach my goal weight. Then I go "off." That is a sure-fire way for me to revert to old eating habits and gain back weight. I have no realized what all these amazing chicks are saying - you have to embrace a lifestyle. The weight will only stay off if you stay "on" some healthy plan. I think SB can be doable for most people long-term.

When I reach my goal this time, I will be all over this site to find and follow the advice of maintainers. I see them succeed and know I can follow in their footsteps.

BTW - You may surprise yourself, Dingo, and find the plan easier than you thought and not a prison at all. You may be so pleased with how you feel, physically and emotionally, that you will stick with it. My gut reaction to your comments is that you are not ready to commit to this yet. Prove me wrong!

P.S. Anne - how long have you been maintaining?
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:43 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaistingTime View Post
, Dingo, and find the plan easier than you thought and not a prison at all. You may be so pleased with how you feel, physically and emotionally, that you will stick with it. My gut reaction to your comments is that you are not ready to commit to this yet. Prove me wrong!
All I can say is that I tried Atkins and it made me want to die. Ketosis is not a healthy state in my opinion ( a moderately educated and empiric one). I know this 'diet' does not put one into said metabolic derangement and is therefore more appealing. As I said...I need to lose weight fast for my wedding. If some of it comes back on right after that...then that is fine. I realize that we have two different goals here (mine is short term, yours is long term).
Old 02-07-2010, 06:56 PM   #14  
Be happy.

I started on Oct 3 and as of today I'm down 40 lbs.
That averages out to just about 10 lbs/month.

I love it because I feel much better and have much more energy since I started eating well. But I'm also very, very happy with how my body is responding. My weight loss has been very steady.

I didn't care much for the menus in the book either.
There are some awesome recipes here though - quick, easy and tasty.

As for feeling like I'm in a prison - it's only been 4 months for me but I've found SBD to be kind of freeing. No calorie counting, no points to worry about, you just figure out what's on plan and what's not and stick to it.

I'd like to say that I never cheat - but that would be a lie. lol I plan to go off plan for one meal or (one snack) when there's a special occasion or holiday. I don't go crazy, but I don't stress out either. I eat a (modest) amount of the off plan food and then get right back on plan. So far that's worked fine for me.

Last edited by Heidi58; 02-07-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:32 PM   #15  
Midwesterner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaistingTime View Post
P.S. Anne - how long have you been maintaining?
Two years in April.

Dingo, why would you not care if you gained weight after your wedding? Dr. Agatston developed this eating plan for his heart patients and it's known for its heart-health benefits and blood sugar control. As an older gal who can look back over lots of diets, clothes in my closet in a myriad of sizes and lots of photos of myself at many different weights, I can attest to SB with being the one WOE I have found that my body is finally at peace with. It may not be in sync with the rest of our culture, but I'm ecstatic that I don't have to worry about "dieting" anymore and my weight is stabilized.