South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 10:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 218/212/160

Height: 5'8"

Default I'm back, and so much has changed!!

After being off the beach for nearly 2 years, and several failed attempts in the past, I am hopping back on. Revisiting this forum has me at a loss.... What is Phase 1.5? What's all this talk about gradually adding in a new carb and/or fruit each week? I still have the original SBD book that was first printed years ago. Should I go buy an updated version? Help!

What I am really looking for is a place that will update me on how things work NOW, since they have clearly changed.

Also, the recipes here are so old, and seemingly ignored. I never trust anything that doesn't have expert SBD'ers giving input on whether it is safe or not. Is there a good site with lots of recipes?

Thanks, and wish me luck!
Old 01-26-2010, 11:09 AM   #2  

Welcome back! I'm not sure what you mean about the recipes being old and ignored. I use them all the time!
Old 01-26-2010, 11:21 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Welcome back. Stick around this time and post lots!

Check out the stickies in the FAQ for the revised Food Lists and explanations of easing into Phase II via I.5. I'd also suggest getting the new revised SBD book.

Jus because the recipes are old doesn't mean they aren't still great. Check out the number of views even if there are no comments. At one time we closed all recipes so there wouldn't be tons of "Great!" postings. The poor MODs read everything, you know.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:29 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Welcome back! As Ruth mentioned, the food lists here and other info are current. The Phase 1.5 is not official SB, but it is discussed in the new book how to ease slowly into Phase 2. I think the recipes here are great. I've gotten so many good ones I use all the time. Folks are always posting new things, so I check back often to see what's new or when I need some inspiration. I troll through the old ones too, when I've got some time. There are some real gems in there. There are lots of recipes online, Kalyn's Kitchen has some good ones, and I always keep my eyes open for SB-suitable recipes in magazines, on cooking shows, etc. But really, this forum has been the source of most of my really good recipes.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:41 AM   #5  
Be happy.

Welcome!

I was puzzled by the whole phase 1.5 thing when I first joined, too.

My husband (who's not dieting) loves this site because I've found so many great new recipes here. If you're looking for more than what we've got here Kayln's Kitchen also has some great SBD recipes.

A lot of us post our menus in the On Plan threads, and there's a What's for Dinner thread too. Those threads give me great ideas for our meals and nudges me to try new recipes.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:54 AM   #6  

Thanks for the replies! I should clarify what I mean about the recipes...

The vast majority have been there for a long time, and I think I have tried most of them. I was hoping to find more/new ones to help me get a fresh start. It doesn't look like new recipes are being shared very often. (Of course, I am merely browsing and not digging deep!)

Also, I noticed a stickied one that looked good, but the comments pretty much tore it apart. I couldn't help but wonder why it was stickied.

I have a few of my own that I have accumulated over the years that I need to share at some point. I love to cook, and starting SBD is truly a fun time for me, as I pick out recipes and start dusting off pots and pans. Now, hopefully I'll stick to it this time! LOL
Old 01-26-2010, 11:58 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi58 View Post
Welcome!

I was puzzled by the whole phase 1.5 thing when I first joined, too.

My husband (who's not dieting) loves this site because I've found so many great new recipes here. If you're looking for more than what we've got here Kayln's Kitchen also has some great SBD recipes.

A lot of us post our menus in the On Plan threads, and there's a What's for Dinner thread too. Those threads give me great ideas for our meals and nudges me to try new recipes.
Thanks! I already see a lot of good looking things there!
Old 01-26-2010, 12:14 PM   #8  
Miss Otis

S/C/G: 250/245/135

Height: 5'4"

I have peeked in on 3FATCHICKS for awhile for inspiration as I tried to lose weight on my own. The last six months have been a disaster and I now weigh more now than at any time in my life. So I've landed on the Beach and am planting my flag. 5 Pounds down and 110 to go. I look forward to coming back here over and over for information, encouragement and inspiration. I'll give you full warning I'm still trying to figure out how to include all the bells and whistles for my cite.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:47 PM   #9  

S/C/G: maintaining

Hello Barbie and Miss Otis. I think the recipe section is great. But I also do look for recent dates periodically to see what has been added. I second Heidi about Kayln's Kitchen and have made many things from her site. She does a monthly round-up that would meet your need for newness.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:06 PM   #10  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I think a lot of the recipes here are tried and true. And, if no one has commented on them, that's why we have new (or returning) members like me and you

back!
Old 01-26-2010, 03:02 PM   #11  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

back Barbie!

Miss Otis.

I'm so happy I found this site last May. Everyone here has helped keep me motivated, and I can see my goal in sight.

Barbie-post some recipes-that would be great! I use and reuse many of the recipes here, have posted some of my own and like Kalyn's Kitchen alot. I look forward to some new things to try.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:46 PM   #12  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Welcome Barbie & Miss Otis. I tend to make the same things over & over, things I don't tire from and love to eat. When I first started out on SB I copied everything that looked good and put recipes in a folder. but I'm not too adventurous and make my favorites often. I love reading the "What's for Dinner" thread. We have some really good cooks here that post often and are happy to share their culinary expertise.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:47 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Welcome back, Barbie! As you've been reading over and over on all the responses here, don't give up on the recipes thread! Just because there aren't many recent responses on them doesn't mean that they are being used over and over again. You'll discover how popular the recipes are while you read the Daily or in our What's For Dinner thread.

I'm glad you're back, and good luck this time around!
Old 01-26-2010, 06:47 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

to The Beach, Miss Otis!

Last edited by cottagebythesea; 01-26-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:59 PM   #15  
ddmbmom

I love the recipes on here! So does my family. I tend to get in a rut with cooking (as my kids can attest!) This time, I am forcing myself to try at least 2 different recipes a week, which we are all enjoying.
Closed Thread