South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 10-09-2009, 05:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/260/150

Default Fear of Failure

Ok Beach friends, this is the 3rd time I am going to attempt SBD. I have read the book and have been reading through the threads over and over again. I have been debating between SBD AND and Nutri System and weight watchers and have finally decided that the SBD is the best option for me because when I was pregnant with both of my daughters I developed Gestational Diabeted and I was able to actually lose a good bit of weight while pregnant.
What made me really realize that I need to lose weight was when I went to pick up my daughter from school and a little boy said "what a fat mommy". I really don't want mu daughters to be teased or think that this is how they should look. That was a really big and an eye opener. I have an amazing DH that is very supportive so I have the support but because of all my other failures I am afraid to start.
Even though mentally I know i can do it I am afraid....But I really want 2010 to be my year to win.
Has anyone been there before,afraid to start that is?
I do know that once I start the wonderful people in the forum are there to help and I want to think you for bieng there for everyone who is going down the hard road.

Thanks in advance!
Nicole
TexisDolly73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Welcome back, Nicole! Good for you for wanting to do this again, that's a big step and I'm glad you haven't given up. The beauty of this plan is if you have a bad day one day, you can just hop right back on plan and start over again. Never give up! And you have a big plus on your side with your DH being so supportive of you. With his help, and checking in here with us every day, you are setting yourself up for success. It's a long and hard road, but we're all doing this together, and we can do it!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:16 PM   #3  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Nicole

Nice to meet you. You can do this!!

I did nutrisystem a few years back and lost weight, but I never lost the craving. Once I went off NS I started regaining the weight.

The beauty of SB for me is learning the WOL needed to maintain my weight while I am losing. Soon after finishing a clean P1 my craving and hunger was lifted. I eat plenty, lose weight and am getting healthy.

I hope you jump right in and regain your confidence.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:36 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 301/284/220

Height: 5'5"

Good luck. I understand your fear of failure. I have been overweight since my teens. It is hard to change bad habits, isn't it? Grrrrr!

Last weekend I cheated for my bday celebration. It was fun, but now I am having a hard time getting back in plan. I can understand your worry.

But you took a big step in coming here. It is always better when you have others that can support you. (and in my case, one's that I am not mad at because they forgot to take out the recycling AGAIN!)

Good luck Nicole!
obnurseonsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:10 PM   #5  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Nicole, I've done both WW & Nutrisystem and this plan is far superior. I actually lost weight at about the same pace, eating foods I love on SB. Another plus is you're eating real food that you can serve your family, unlike Nutrisystem. No processed food, less sodium and I've never eaten more vegetables in my life. Like cottage said, you can get right back on plan easier than those other programs.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 265/260/150

Thanks for all your support i feel better already!
TexisDolly73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:04 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 215/201/175

Height: 5"6"

Hi Nicole

This is my first time at the 3FC boards but my 2nd "real" time of starting the SBD plan. This time around I have found that I am eating very clean and it works!!!!! I have also done WW and it just didnt work for me. The best advise I can give is plan as much as possible so that you are prepared when your hungry. Make sure that you have lots of choices....there are so many good recipes on here that you shouldnt get bored. Most of all come here every day.....the people here are a great inspiration!!!!
KDHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:57 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/160

Height: 5 ft 3ish

I've been on and off the "diet" wagon for years! I feel your pain. I think a fear of failure is healthy though. To a point of course. But I think in those early days when it's hard to be motivated when that brownie is calling your name...sometimes it's only the fear of failing that can pull us through those dark moments.
HeaterAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:29 AM   #9  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

"Failure is only the opportunity to more intelligently begin again."
Henry Ford

If I can do it, so can you. Couch potato extreme here. I was a slug.

Fast forward about 3 years and I'm one healthy girl. I look and feel better at 54 than I did at 40.I have more energy than people I work with in their 30's. This woe becomes so normal that the "old way" seems absolutely suicidal.

There is no failure...only a very healthy you in your future. But only you can set your new life in motion.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:31 PM   #10  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Nicole!

Sounds like a real eye-opener, but a really difficult one, as well. I'm sure your kids know what a great mom you are and that's what matters to them.

Glad to have you back with us--sounds like you are really setting yourself up for success by thinking seriously about what works for you and getting prepared! You'll find more tips for getting ready in the Prepare Yourself to Start South Beach thread.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:37 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

I found it helped me to think about past "failures" as experiences where I learned what didn't work for me and concentrated on what was working for me this time. I also find it helpful to remember lots of times to think about the woman who was overwhelmed to the point of tears when her doctor told her she needed to lose a substantial amount of weight (boy, could I relate to that). Seeing her distress, the doctor said, "Let's lose one pound." It helps me to remember that the only pound I can lose is the next one and not get caught up in how many and how fast it goes.
lillyw is offline   Reply With Quote