South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 06:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 201/See Ticker/152

Height: 5'8"

Default Caved After Phase I

Hi Ladies. I officially finished phase 1 yesterday, and was supposed to start phase 2 today. However, from Saturday on, I caved and not only ate the wrong foods, but so much of them I made myself sick.

I want to get back on track tomorrow before I gain too much weight back and call it quits. My question is, should I continue on into phase 2 like I was supposed to, or should I do more of phase 1? And if I do more of phase 1, how many days should I do? I really don't want to have to do phase 1 over again.

Please help, I feel like such a failure.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:48 PM   #2  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

First, I think you need to identify why it was that you caved. Was it because you craved the food that you ate? Was it because you were stressed out? Was it because you were bored?

When the reasons are identified, it is easier to determine what needs to be done next. Whether it is continuing Phase 1, or moving on to Phase 2 the most important thing is to find ways to combat the reasons why you would potentially fall off the wagon again.

If it is stress or boredom eating, solutions are quite easy to find. Whether it be taking a walk around the block instead of to the fridge or chewing gum while watching TV or cooking to satisfy those urges to munch something.

Finally, please don't feel like a failure. Sometimes when we feel like failures it becomes rather cyclical and even though we don't want to, we continue to sabotage our diets based on things that we've done in the past. The best thing that you can do for yourself is realize that we all make mistakes and instead of just calling it quits for a few days and eating until we're sick, we need to just pick up and dust off and continue on our journey. One small mistake isn't going to make a huge difference but letting that one small mistake turn into days and days of binging certainly will.

Good luck
Old 12-22-2008, 07:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Steen, if you feel you are in control and have no cravings, then go ahead and start a slow introduction to Phase 2. However, if you are experiencing cravings from going off-plan over the weekend, you should follow Phase 1 for at least three days until you are completely rid of cravings again.

I agree with ZEFF, that it's important to determine the reason why you caved after completing Phase 1, then work on ways to avoid it.

We all have our weak moments, but as long as we climb right back on the wagon again and don't give up, we'll never be failures.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 201/See Ticker/152

Height: 5'8"

On Saturday, I was ice fishing all day and forgot to bring snacks. So when I got home, I stuffed quick-and-easy into my mouth, which weren't the healthiest choices. But I was so hungry I didn't really care. From that point on, I've had the attitude that I've already ruined my diet, so what is another day of eating like crap. So I've been snacking uncontrollably on chips, cookies, and bread.

Also, it's close to Xmas, so of course, there are more goodies around that are hard to say no to.
ut I started this diet because I've been feeling unhealthy, and although for the past two weeks I've felt awesome, I'm starting to feel unhealthy again.

So I think it was the initial bad decision to eat quick which triggered the cravings for the foods I thought I had got past.

Now I just feel like crap.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:56 PM   #5  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Well, the first thing that you can do is realize that you made a mistake and stop feeling like crap about it. Forgive yourself. If it happens again, forgive yourself again. Remember that everyone makes mistakes once in awhile and the most important thing is to learn from those mistakes.

Take this as a lesson learned about bringing snacks and food along - it takes awhile to make a habit out of packing snacks and food.

Even though it is the holiday season, try not to tempt yourself with goodies. If you make cookies - put them in the freezer. Out of sight out of mind. If you go to a party, allow yourself only one indulgence. Eat either a meal or a snack before the party to reduce cravings and hunger. If you aren't hungry, the cravings will be minimized and the temptation won't be as strong. If you buy goodies for guests, only buy as much as you need and either throw or give the rest away.

Like I said earlier, it takes time and work to build these habits. The faster we realize that we aren't perfect and will make mistakes, the faster we will be able to forgive ourselves for making those mistakes and learn for the future.

Also, about feeling unhealthy again. Food is fuel for our bodies - think of it as putting a higher octane fuel in your car. The higher octane prevents build-up of gunk in your engine and makes your car perform better - just like healthy food does for our body.

Last edited by zeffryn; 12-22-2008 at 08:57 PM.
Closed Thread