South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-18-2008, 01:53 PM   #1  
Recovering Sugar Addict

S/C/G: 160/158/145

Height: 5'6"

Red face horrifyingly bad flatulence!

Ok this is embarassing, but I wanted to share in order to help some other phase 1 starters.

A day or two after I started phase 1 I also started having HORRIBLE gas, in mas quantities.

At first I thought maybe my body was detoxing. But the gas continued for the next week and I started doing some research.

I found some information online about human bodies processing junk food versus healthy food. Apparently, we process junk food only in our upper GI tract (or primarily there) because there are less complex carbohydrates in that food. For complex carbs, the whole GI tract is used and the lower GI tract is where gas is created.

So, if you weren't used to eating vegetables in mass quantities (like me), your body goes into overtime processing all the complex carbs and can create mass quantities of foul smelling gas. In which case, BEANO is the answer.

I bought some after looking into it, it's supposed to have an enzyme to help break down the veggies without causing the gas. It seems to be working for me.

Thought I'd share... hopefully I didn't OVERshare
Sciana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:58 PM   #2  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

Keep in mind that if you are eating a sweet treat with sugar alcohol, it will also cause gas.
I have heard that if you continue to eat beans and other gas producing veggies, your body will get used to it and not be as gassy. Well, my body never has, so I just toot away! I still can't tell if DH is amused or disturbed?!?!
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 228/224/130

Height: 5 ft 2 in

That is good info to know. I just started Phase ! today.
lotstoolooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:29 PM   #4  
In love with...THE GYM!!

S/C/G: 243/213/150

Height: 5'8"

I'm not on south beach, but I found this to be interesting as I have been gassy all day for 3 weeks or so. I think my poor boyfriend is horrified by all my farting. My kids on the other hand are amused!
Thanks for sharing!
julie99s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:38 PM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Yes, your body does get used to the complex carbs. Just smile and blame it on the dog.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:29 PM   #6  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

How many years...decades do I get to still blame it on the dog? I guess I better make sure we always have a doggie or 2 around!
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:56 PM   #7  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

I've found for me, beano helps with the.... err.... smell, but I still have the gas. Long as I've taken beano and can eek one out quietly, nobody knows the difference. Otherwise, I'm so busted. No dog.
weezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:19 PM   #8  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I'm just the opposite. When I eat "bad stuff" I have bad gas. Since I've been on SB, my tummy is less bloated & I don't have gas all the time.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:43 PM   #9  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Well.....around our house, flatulence isn't such a bad thing. DH and I have apparently been married long enough not to care anymore. DH finds it funny to find ways to actually toot on me....oy.

That being said....beano is my best friend. Like previously mentioned, it really only helps with the smell...if you have really bad gas, take gas-x or something similar to relieve the bloating and tootiness.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:52 PM   #10  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

LOl. Me and BF are the same way, and it's disgusting. We think it's hilarious.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:04 AM   #11  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

I came from a family where farting was common. Dad had no problem letting one rip, and you only knew if Mom did if you heard her giggling and then.... noticed her scolding the dog.

Tommy, on the other hand, came from a family where people don't admit to having gas, women don't have "bathroom celebrations," etc.

I haven't consciously farted in almost 9 months. No wonder I'm so full of hot air.
weezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:10 AM   #12  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

My family (mom, dad, bros and sis) was quite blatant about their farting but my grandmother and grandfather are a bit prudish and prissy and my Grandma never claimed to "do such... things!" One day she bent over and I heard one rip, and when I called her out on it, she was mortified, denied it like crazy, and then said I was hearing things (I guess I'm schizo). Then my Grandpa sarcastically told her it must've been the dog. Busted!

Sciana, I have found that SKinnydogMom is absolutely right. Whenever I consume any product made with sorbitol, I get horrible stomach cramps and bloating and insane gas! I don't have a problem with the veggies and stuff, normally. I ate the filling (the filling only) out of this chocolate meringue pie, which had sorbitol, and everytime I ate that stuff for dessert, I, like Zeffryn's husband, found MANY a creative way to fart upon my boyfriend. Isn't that disgusting and immature and so Beavis-and-Buttheadish? I found it hilarious, then again, I'm a dude in a girl's body.

Last edited by Fat Melanie; 08-19-2008 at 10:11 AM.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote