South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 12:51 PM   #1  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Default Olives, Ricotta Cheesecakes, and Piggly Wiggly Plates.. urgh

Okay, I bought some pimento-stuffed olives last night and snacked on a few of them last night... (going by the fact that we can use olive oil...), but then remembered, wait! Olives are a fruit! Did I mess up, or are we allowed to have olives?? I just needed something salty... I have been doing very well and thought that the olives were fine... until I thought about what sort of food group they come from. But they do have a low GI, right?

I am planning on making a skim ricotta chocolate cheesecake... using skim ricotta, eggs, hershey's pure cocoa, and splenda. I've got some cream cheese, maybe about 1/4 cup left, which I'll add in for flavor, I guess. The recipes online I've found for ricotta cheesecakes call for 1/3 cup flour, but of course I won't be using that. Any idea of what I could do to replace that? Maybe just make it as is (ricotta, splenda, eggs) and see how it turns out? Never had ricotta cheesecake before, but they are really big in Italy. If the recipe works out, will post.

Third issue: Piggly Wiggly plates. They're full of bad fats, sugars, bad carbs, dark meats, etc. BF wanted to get me a turkey and gravy plate with veggies as the side. Wanted to know if I was allowed to have cornbread, I was highly disgusted with him, how many times do I have to repeat myself? Then he asked me if turkey was high on the glycemic index, lol. It's funny that he pretends to understand... I told him the plate was out of the question, Piggly Wiggly uses that dark meat turkey and I know gravy is a no no, it's made with cornstarch and etc. He told me he would pay extra to get me white meat, but I asked how much the plate was gonna be? Then I told him for a lesser price, he could just get me a chicken caesar salad from Burger King which is right next to the Pig. Problem solved. I'll forgo the dressing and put 2 tablespoons of the hidden valley ranch I've got in the fridge on the salad. I was proud because rice with gravy, macaroni and cheese, and stuffing smothered in gravy was dancing through my head as that evil, evil man attempted to tempt me with a plate. He meant well this time, I think, because for some reason he thought the sludge they serve there would pass the SBD standard... but no.

The other day he wanted to go to Sonic and there was all of this tempting stuff on the menu... fried apple bites with caramel sauce, cheesecake bites, chicken sandwiches, fruity smoothie drinks.. I've only been to Sonic like twice before in my life. I ended up getting the grilled chicken salad, which was good although I suspect that they grilled the chicken in butter... BF worked at Sonic when he was a teen and told me that yes, they greased the grill thing with butter... but just enough to keep it from sticking. Grr. Am I okay or should I add an extra phase 1 day?

Last edited by Fat Melanie; 07-20-2008 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:53 PM   #2  
Healthy mommy

I just wanted to add, I posted on my local freecycle about anyone having a copy of the SBD book, and a lady emailed me, so on Friday I'm meeting her to pick up the book. Score! I am very grateful and now maybe I won't have to post dumb threads about olives and such... lol!
Old 07-20-2008, 12:53 PM   #3  
TimeForChange

S/C/G: 240/225/150

Height: 5,4"

If you have the book olives are listed under "fats"....you are allowed 2 tble of fat a day and 15 small pimento olives equal a fat.....
Old 07-20-2008, 12:57 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Did you look in the FAQ section? The Phase 1 foods do list olives.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141376
Old 07-20-2008, 01:09 PM   #5  
Healthy mommy

Crap.. I think I've been eating too many fats. Not the olives, but olives and then using smart balance to cook my turkey bacon... uh oh.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:36 PM   #6  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Mel, cook your turkey bacon in non stick cooking spray (Pam, etc.). It doesn't count towards fats and does the same thing.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:05 PM   #7  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Non-stick cooking spray will become your best friend I keep both organic canola and olive oil spray in our kitchen.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 155/148/122

Height: 5' 2"

Last night I was so hungry, I just started SBD yesterday, I had bought the ricotta and vanillia and we use splenda anyway, I didn't even follow the receipe and mixed the stuff in a little bowl with a spoon , it was soooo good, I love it..really help me get past that sweet craving I was having, I felt guilty eating it cause it was so good..try it you'll love it..By the way I am new here and just thought I would jump in..lol
Old 07-20-2008, 08:41 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 152/120/120

Height: 5 foot 3 inch

Yes, try using the Pam cooking spray. As for the olives, it seems like you figured out what to do now. Good luck!
Old 07-20-2008, 08:42 PM   #10  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

DO NOT USE spray in NON-STICK PANS. it ruins them.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:58 PM   #11  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

You can buy an oil mister, fill it will olive oil, and use it like the PAM cooking spray. Since it's regular olive oil, it will be fine in your non-stick pans.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:22 PM   #12  
ONEderland here I come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebRover View Post
You can buy an oil mister, fill it will olive oil, and use it like the PAM cooking spray. Since it's regular olive oil, it will be fine in your non-stick pans.
yes that will work!
Old 07-20-2008, 10:06 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 215/191.6/135

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugnessa View Post
DO NOT USE spray in NON-STICK PANS. it ruins them.
Nessa: what type of damage? I've never seen an issue (Probably just me.)

I do have issues if I use them on baking pans and they aren't covered by food (i.e., greasing muffin pans and getting some on the top). It bakes on and comes off with only with several hours of work.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:10 PM   #14  
ONEderland here I come!

in order to clean it you have to use abrasive and a scrubby. you can't use either on a non-stick pan.

it leaves a residue.... put a drop of oil on the pan wipe it around with a paper towel....

personally i put my chicken meat or fish in the pan without oil.

I only use oil for veggies... my eggs are cooked after my veggies so that solves that problem.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:17 PM   #15  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

She's right about the residue on non-stick pans....it's a b____ to get off.

I have stainless steel cookware, and cooking without some sort of lubricant is a surefire way to get whatever food you are cooking to become one with the pan. Pam isn't a problem, but I do like the olive oil sprayer....it uses negligible amounts of oil.
Closed Thread