South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 05-15-2008, 09:38 AM   #16  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

So, sugar is the fourth ingredient, and it's the top three that are most important, still, malitol has been shown to affect blood sugar in several individuals (it certainly affects me) and it's the third ingredient. These are very tasty, but I honestly don't think of them as an SBD food. I know that friends of mine who are NOT on SBD have found these bars to be among the healthiest in the granola bar genre, but if I were to really go for something "snacky-y" I think I'd head for something more natural, like ThinkOrganic bars, REAL kind bars, Dr. Weil's organic bars, or something like that. Something where all the ingredients are things I recognize, like fruit, nuts, etc.

I used to eat these bars off and on because of the high protein, but I found they made me crave more, so now I avoid them. I've been trying out other kinds of bars to see how they do. I tried this one the other day and was pleasantly surprised to find that it didn't seem to give me any cravings!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:16 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 150/140/125

Height: 5'4''

I do often eat the SBD cereal bars with plain LF yogurt for breakfast, as I am extremely busy all the time (like all of us), and I hate eggs. I have justified it on the basis that on P2 you are allowed to have a serving of breakfast cereal that is "low sugar," and the 7 grams of sugar in these bars is "low sugar" compared to other cereals. I have not found them to negatively affect my weight loss; however, I am interested in trying these homemade ones!!

Last edited by mary83; 05-15-2008 at 10:17 AM.
mary83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:41 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

The homemade ones are quick and easy. Everyone is entitled to choose what they eat. I eat the Kashi Go Lean cereal while others won't. I posted it because many people aren't aware of the sugar content. I think we pick up the South Beach Living products and think they're perfectly healthy for us. For some, they may not be, there may be something better. Everyone finds their own balance of what they think is fine to eat.
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:43 AM   #19  

Beachgal: I think I'll try the cliff bars too.. maybe for a treat. They sound yummy and perfect for getting some extra fruit servings in there!! At times I wish we had a Trader Joe's near by, but Wegman's is a pretty good store too!!
Old 05-15-2008, 12:22 PM   #20  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

TDI - I really enjoy the Bella Bars.....made for pregnant women. I fell in love with them when I was pregnant. They were the only thing I could eat and not puke up 10 minutes later for quite some time I eat them every once in awhile now, I really try not to make a habit out of them. They are very tasty though and high in vitamins!
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:36 PM   #21  

I'll have to look for them I enjoyed the homemade ones DH loves 'em too. We'll stick to these on a regular basis and maybe for a treat throw in a bella or the cliff ones.. I've seen the Cliff ones, but not the Bella. I'll take a closer look next time at wegman's...
Old 05-15-2008, 02:03 PM   #22  
beachin'

When I was pregnant, I couldn't find the Bellas anywhere....but I found them at Target the other day.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:20 PM   #23  

I'll definitely check next time I'm at Target
Old 05-16-2008, 03:10 PM   #24  
Simply Filling Technique

Lightbulb Keep sleuthing ladies

At first I thought the only cereal you could really eat was the ones listed on the approved food list but using the other rules regarding how many grams of sugar in one serving, I have found several other types of cereals that you can eat that have 3 grams of sugar or less per serving and have a better taste than Uncle Sam's ,et al.

Shredded wheat, one of my all time favorites, now has unsugared mini squares not just the biscuits. Yippee!! With the weather getting warmer, I have added a bowl of cereal to my breakfasts or evening snacks.

I bought the SBD breakfast bars when there was a "Buy one get one free" at Publix when I first started this food plan. My DH had one and I had the rest of two boxes. What does that tell you?

I am still eating the eggs and turkey bacon 4 1/2 months later.....I have it down to making breakfast in 5 minutes. I cook up a week's worth of bacon, put it in the refrigerator, spray the pan with canola oil spray, make my eggs, have the toast in the toaster while the eggs are cooking, pour out my skim milk , dole out my supplements etc. and viola breakfast is served.

I still find that the eggs/bacon breakfast keeps me satiated longer than any bar....

P.S. the SBD mini pizzas are blah---try Amy's organic ones. Those taste like you just made them. My favorite is the spinach one.

Last edited by pamatga; 05-16-2008 at 03:12 PM.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:37 PM   #25  
beachin'

Pamatga - I agree that eggs keep me satiated longer than carbs. I still make the egg cups even though I'm on P2. I really enjoy them with only vegetables.

The Amy's organic pizzas are better than SBD pizzas....but not all the crusts are made from ww flour. I believe the spinach one is on a rice flour crust? I checked the ingredients and it simply says rice flour...which I'm almost certain is white rice flour. The only one that I've seen in stores that has a ww crust is a cheese and pesto full size pizza. To stay on plan, the SBD pizzas are better.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:45 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Darned, I wish this thread was 2 weeks ago!! Last week I bought 2 boxes of SBD bars when on sale, I've already asked a coworker if she'd like them.
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:46 AM   #27  
beachin'

Twynn, if you already have them don't waste them! I'm sure they wouldn't be horrible for a just once in awhile snack.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:37 AM   #28  

yeah, I wouldn't throw 'em out. This kinda a "for next time" thing... We are all learning how to make better choices over time.