3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   I had my first trip ever to Trader Joe's.... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/141027-i-had-my-first-trip-ever-trader-joes.html)

JerseyGirrl 04-28-2008 03:20 PM

I had my first trip ever to Trader Joe's....

and I'm IN LOVE!!!!:love: At first, I was a little disappointed when my bf and I pulled up because it looked pretty tiny compared to what I had imagined, but once we were inside I was like a little kid in a candystore..only a much healthier and affordable one!! I found quite a few things that I can't find in my regular supermarket and some things that I can't afford in my regular supermarket that were so much cheaper there. I stocked up on frozen fruit that is normally 3.50-5.00 per bag at my local grocers. At TJ's it was only 1.99 per bag and the bags seemed to be more full. I bought quite a few things and still stayed under $50. If I bought everything that I bought there in my local store I would have easily spent $80-$100 big ones! I'm so jumping on the TJ bandwagon! I'm sure I'll be out there at least once a week.

Ruthxxx 04-28-2008 03:26 PM

:( No TJ's up here. One of these days.......

modkittn 04-28-2008 03:28 PM

I love TJ's! There is one about an hour away from me. I stop at it on the way home from visiting family. But I just found out that there is going to be one opening in my town in October. I can't wait!

tomandkara 04-28-2008 03:31 PM

Yay! Glad you had so much fun!

Kara

Natalie'sMom 04-28-2008 03:34 PM

I am jealous!! I love it too but we don't have it here!

SunshineRunner 04-28-2008 03:37 PM

I'm sooooooooooo jealous. :(

ladybugnessa 04-28-2008 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthxxx (Post 2173573)
:( No TJ's up here. One of these days.......

Ruth come visit me and I'll take you to mine!

JerseyGirrl 04-28-2008 03:51 PM

They are adding quite a few new locations..you can check the website http://www.traderjoes.com/locations.asp to see if the will be opening one near you. I hope they spread like wildfire! If not, you ladies can send me a list and I'll fed-ex your order to ya since I fell in love with the place!

xGurlyGrlx 04-28-2008 04:04 PM

I LOVE TJ's! I get most of my food there. It's much cheaper for a lot of things! Esp. LC cheese.

NESSA (I hope you read this thread ;)) I went to TJ's yesterday looking for the whole wheat pizza dough you posted about. I didn't see it. I only saw a white flour dough and wheat dough. It had whole wheat flour but the first ingredient is wheat flour. Is that the one you were talking about or did I miss the real whole wheat one? :dizzy:

movielover 04-28-2008 04:12 PM

LOVE LOVE LOVE TJ's it is the best!!!!

ladybugnessa 04-28-2008 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xGurlyGrlx (Post 2173668)
I LOVE TJ's! I get most of my food there. It's much cheaper for a lot of things! Esp. LC cheese.

NESSA (I hope you read this thread ;)) I went to TJ's yesterday looking for the whole wheat pizza dough you posted about. I didn't see it. I only saw a white flour dough and wheat dough. It had whole wheat flour but the first ingredient is wheat flour. Is that the one you were talking about or did I miss the real whole wheat one? :dizzy:

very very weird. you are the second person in CA to tell me they can't find 100% whole wheat pizza dough.... I'd ask about it the next time you are there.

movielover 04-28-2008 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladybugnessa (Post 2173708)
very very weird. you are the second person in CA to tell me they can't find 100% whole wheat pizza dough.... I'd ask about it the next time you are there.

I have never been able to find it here (CA). I thought it was weird that Nessa would have their wheat dough!

zeffryn 04-28-2008 07:01 PM

It's aggravating that the closest one is in Atlanta. That is entirely too far to drive for a grocery store....although I do have a friend moving to Atlanta in a few weeks. A great opportunity to visit the grocery ....err....her.

frustratedieter 04-28-2008 11:13 PM

I live near Madison Wisc. and we got one about a year ago there. It is really cool to shop there BUT they also have some items that aren't SB friendly that would be tempting. Reading this post though, think I should take a ride and check them out again.

JulieJ08 04-29-2008 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladybugnessa (Post 2173708)

I'm in Southern California too, and I've asked and been told by TJ that they don't have it anymore, couldn't say if it would come back. That was at least a couple months ago, and they still don't have it

I may owe my success to living a couple miles from a TJ ;)

ladybugnessa 04-29-2008 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frustratedieter (Post 2174413)
I live near Madison Wisc. and we got one about a year ago there. It is really cool to shop there BUT they also have some items that aren't SB friendly that would be tempting. Reading this post though, think I should take a ride and check them out again.

everything in life has stuff that is not SBD friendly that is tempting. be strong. they have a lot of great stuff that is SBD legal.

try ths guac and salsa mix (the one with enstein on the front)

Marathon Mom 04-29-2008 09:21 AM

Trader Joe..... I love him...

I've never been dissapointed with that guy.

Best store!! and every store I've been to, the Staff is SUPER friendly...

JerseyGirrl 04-29-2008 10:51 AM

nessa i just bought guac and salsa mix but havent tried it yet lol by the way i love ur new pic u look great!

SkinnyDogMom 04-29-2008 11:14 AM

My newest favorite thing from Trader Joe's is the Cilantro salad dressing. It is in the produce section, kept cold.

Gumah 04-29-2008 07:05 PM

TJ's is awesome! So easy to be on So Beach and shop there, so many "legal" goodies and super high quality as well. I love it!

spcdcider 04-29-2008 08:55 PM

Does anyone know if there is a list posted on Trader Joe's friendly foods? I remember last night, doing some reading here, seeing a link posted on a thread someone started to welcome the year 2008. Now have I confused everyone with that last sentence? Kathy

martinlady711 04-30-2008 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeffryn (Post 2173998)
It's aggravating that the closest one is in Atlanta. That is entirely too far to drive for a grocery store....although I do have a friend moving to Atlanta in a few weeks. A great opportunity to visit the grocery ....err....her.

That is the one that is closest to me as well. Its closer to me than it is to you but still too far to go just for some food. Maybe next time I go to ATL I will check it out and I will change my mind about it being too far away!

movielover 04-30-2008 11:44 AM

Someone I know looked into buying one as a business, but she was not able to! She wanted it for Colorado!

ladybugnessa 04-30-2008 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by movielover (Post 2177346)
Someone I know looked into buying one as a business, but she was not able to! She wanted it for Colorado!

It's not franchised. My dad tried to buy one and open it in South Florida so his girl friend could have one. (must be nice ya know)....

wholy owned by the family. and yes they are RELATED to ALIDI folks.

movielover 04-30-2008 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladybugnessa (Post 2177355)

wholy owned by the family. and yes they are RELATED to ALIDI folks.

I know that is crazy, huh?!?!? I think I want to go tonight now :)

zeffryn 04-30-2008 12:13 PM

The fact that Trader Joes and ALDI are related is supposed to be kept hush hush. The TJ's demographic isn't quite the ALDI demographic.

Screw that! I <3 both stores!

ladybugnessa 04-30-2008 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeffryn (Post 2177422)
The fact that Trader Joes and ALDI are related is supposed to be kept hush hush. The TJ's demographic isn't quite the ALDI demographic.

Screw that! I <3 both stores!

ME TOO!

zeffryn 04-30-2008 12:52 PM

I would kill to have an Aldi OR a TJ's by our house. I used to save so much money buying food at Aldi.

movielover 04-30-2008 01:04 PM

Never even heard of ALDI!!!!

ladybugnessa 04-30-2008 01:08 PM

1 trader joe about 2 miles from my house
2 about 15 miles in opposite directions
and 2 aldis each about 5 miles away.

kittycat40 04-30-2008 01:16 PM

I went to tj this past sunday. they had no product!! I had made a list of good picks found on 3fc-- almost nothing there-- honest!
So, I asked a helper where some items were, and said -- we're cleaned out. I asked when they get shipments, he said, nightly. So I asked what is the best day to shop and actually find the products?? He said, tues, wed, or thurs... so I'll try again.
For you beachers, I did buy rasberry dried fruit bars. Yum. and I am at this second eating the clilantro dsg for the first time. Awesome!!

ShannanA 04-30-2008 01:20 PM

I do all my grocery shopping at walmart, I spend about $250 a month for a family of 4 to eat. I have been to a trader joe's once and was not impressed with the selection or the prices. This was several years ago though.

Aldi's is good for dairy, canned goods and fruit but I don't like making multiple stops and usually I go grocery shopping when I get off work at midnight so shopping there isn't an option.

ladybugnessa 04-30-2008 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittycat40 (Post 2177540)
I went to tj this past sunday. they had no product!! I had made a list of good picks found on 3fc-- almost nothing there-- honest!
So, I asked a helper where some items were, and said -- we're cleaned out. I asked when they get shipments, he said, nightly. So I asked what is the best day to shop and actually find the products?? He said, tues, wed, or thurs... so I'll try again.
For you beachers, I did buy rasberry dried fruit bars. Yum. and I am at this second eating the clilantro dsg for the first time. Awesome!!

I NEVER EVER GO ON THE WEEKENDS... they are out of everything.. and crowded. folks who can't go during the week go on weekends.

tonite on my way home i may have to stop.... i need eggs, guacsalsa, girl child wants spinach dip.....

kittycat40 04-30-2008 01:34 PM

[QUOTE=ShannanA;2177560]I do all my grocery shopping at walmart, I spend about $250 a month for a family of 4 to eat. I have been to a trader joe's once and was not impressed with the selection or the prices. This was several years ago though.
QUOTE]

That's great! I shop primarily at costco and spend three-four times that. My family is four little boys... and one big man... and me!! We can really eat. And food has risen in price remarkably!! I fear my bill when my guys get a little older!

zeffryn 04-30-2008 02:07 PM

We used to shop at Wal-Mart, until I became more concerned about their business practices. We try to avoid Wal-Mart at all costs, now. I shop at local produce stands, and small grocers to get the best deals. I really have to scour the ads and usually cook with what is in season or on sale, but I've been able to keep our monthly grocery bill between $200 and $300.

In my experience, TJ's had the best produce on Tuesday and Wednesday. Weekends are horrible to be there, as they are so busy and don't have anything. I try to avoid all supermarkets during the weekend, as the produce is getting old and picked over.

movielover 04-30-2008 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShannanA (Post 2177560)
I do all my grocery shopping at walmart, I spend about $250 a month for a family of 4 to eat. I have been to a trader joe's once and was not impressed with the selection or the prices. This was several years ago though.

TJ's is way cheaper on a huge majority of things then Walmart! But they don't have everything like WM does!

movielover 04-30-2008 02:20 PM

What kind of crackers do you recommend getting there? Anything else super great that I can not pass up? Salsa-Guac???

SkinnyDogMom 04-30-2008 02:30 PM

My TJ staples are Ezekial sprouted bread--usually I get the sesame seed type, cilantro salad dressing, sometimes bagged salads and fresh fruits (but we get these less expensive at the commisary), nuts, better n' peanut butter, agave nectar, frozen fish, frozen veggies, TJ's brand of greek 0% fat plain yogurt, dried, no sugar added fruits-raisins, cherries, pears etc, rarely I pick up cereal, eggs or milk, TJ's aioli garlic mustard sauce--THE BEST!, TJ's brand albacore tuna in water-canned, EVOO, balsamic vinegar, whole wheat pita bread, whole wheat pizza dough, chicken/turkey sausages in various flavors, goat cheese crumbles and wine.

ladybugnessa 04-30-2008 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by movielover (Post 2177698)
What kind of crackers do you recommend getting there? Anything else super great that I can not pass up? Salsa-Guac???

Ak-mak crackers (yellow and blue box) are great
salsa-guac
trader joes greek yogurt
chiplote pepper hummus
whole wheat pizza dough

ladybugnessa 04-30-2008 02:53 PM

oy guess where i'm gonna stop now on my way home???