South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 05:58 AM   #1  
Determined to lose!

Default Wild & Wacky Wednesday Chat!

GM all! First and formost, Kara, did Tom make it home safely last night?

How is everyone? Me, I've been drinking way too much coffee and it's showing in the headaches! I'm going to try to cut that down today. It is a problem when work provides free coffee that you make fresh by the cup, and the coffee is pretty good!

The scale is staying the same, VERY frustrating! I was so exhausted yesterday I didn't even go work out. I plan to today.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:07 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Default Wednesday Warblings

Coffee's especially good this morning! I think I'm finally getting used to the time change, I feel much perkier today.

I'm going to go help Cindy get some last minute things done around her house this morning, and then I'm driving them to the airport right after lunch. The girls are so excited, and they don't even know where they're headed yet. Just wait until they find out they're going to Disney and Sea World, they're going to be thrilled! I kind of wish I were going along, but I'm going to really enjoy my little vacation, too. I don't have any plans, but I do have to take my car in for new brakes, and I promised to take my mother shopping one day, too.

Kara, did Tom make it home okay?
Old 03-12-2008, 06:20 AM   #3  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Morning Chicks!
Loriann, risisting that coffee is not easy! (I don't...it calls to me and I can't say no!)
Cottage, Have a great day playing airport chauffer! I'll be doing that tomorrow when my DD leaves.

Me: A little too quiet around here. My Mom, sis and bil left yesterday morning. Then my DD and I went to N.O. for our girl's day out. It was a bust...we ended up going to one store, then headed back here. DD seems to have gotten a urinary tract infection and is just miserable. She ended up going to the dr and hopefully is on the mend. We are going to try to go do something fun this afternoon if she feels better. No fair!!!
Old 03-12-2008, 06:50 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Cat, awww, that's such a shame that your DD is miserable. Cranberry juice and yogurt always seems to help. I hope she's feeling better real soon so you all can enjoy her stay with you!

Loriann, does decaf coffee affect you that way as well? I love my coffee!
Old 03-12-2008, 07:05 AM   #5  
Determined to lose!

Cat, sorry for your day off...

I said cut down, not cut out the coffee!!!!!! one, two or even three cups of coffee would be enough, but truth be told, I drink like five or six, seven or eight while at work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-12-2008, 07:54 AM   #6  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Cottage, we are doing the cranberry juice/yogurt bit. We stopped at an organic store yesterday and got her the juice concentrate.

She fell in love with my new "yogurt recipe" and I have to see if I can scout out some greek yogurt for her today. I used up my last carton yesterday and it's hard to find here. I put frozen fruit in my food processor and chop it all up. Then I add agave necter to that and chop a little more, then a small carton of the 0% fage greek yogurt , It is wonderful and cold and refreshing...like ice cream. One small carton makes about 3 servings with the fruit added. Something tells me I'm going to be making it a lot this summer.

We are going to try to go shopping again today in a town about 1/2 and hour away from here when I get home from school at one o'clock. She and I both use some face cream that they sell at a shop there, so that will be our "girl's day out" treat today if she is feeling better and I think she will be. There is a grocery store in the same town that had the yogurt last time I was there and I hope they have it today.

Last edited by femmecreole; 03-12-2008 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:02 AM   #7  

I finally heard back from my lawyer yesterday so I now know that I need to go pay $897 for the social study. Robert only had to pay $150 but they base it on income and they calculate his as if he worked a minimum wage job (rather than no job). I should have done this last week but Robert wouldn't tell me what I owed and I didn't have the paper. My lawyer and I were just playing phone tag.

So I'm WFH today but it will take me at least an hour and a half to take the train downtown, pay for the study and then come back. Then I may need to go into the office to fax the receipt to my lawyer.

Tonight Robert is coming over to get more stuff with one of our friends. Hopefully it won't be too stressful.

Kara - I'm hoping Tom got in okay.

Loriann - Do they have good decaff too? I'm a tea drinker but after 2 cups with caffeine I switch to decaff.

cottage - It's been years since we took Brian to Disney but he loved it. We had a multiday, multipark pass and we switched things up to keep him interested. Disney in the morning then Epcot in the afternoon when he could relax in the stroller. We do Sea World more often since we have one in Texas too.

cat - hope your daughter feels better.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:05 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Hmmm, no sign of Kara yet, how strange....
We are not adjusted yet, we got up late again this morning. Only 15 minutes though, so I guess that's an improvement.
Ooops DH is calling, be back in a minute!

Barb, hope things go okay with Robert tonight!
Cat, poor DD, that's no way to spend a vacation. Hope she is feeling up to some fun today!
cottage, Disney with kids IS fun, but so is a break from work!
LoriAnn, my coffee consumption has gone up lately too, since I've been using the toddy. It is so good and just takes a second to make a fresh cup. I've always liked coffee, but never really got addicted to it and I hope I don't. My mother gets sick with headaches and nausea if she doesn't get her caffeine in the morning!

Last edited by Schmoodle; 03-12-2008 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:08 AM   #9  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Sheesh! Now I want fruit and yogurt for breakfast but will have to settle for a Fibre One shake!

I wonder how things are with Kara. Maybe she'll come up for air later!

Cottage, do some special for YOU things on your mini-vacance!

Cat, sorry the visit was a bit disappointing and hope that UTI clears quickly for your DD. They are not fun!

Loriann, I am slightly addicted to coffee too although I really don't like the taste much. Maybe caffeine pills would work as well and faster.

Barb, you are such a strong woman and are handling this crap so well. Brian is a lucky kid to have such a strong parent.

Schmoodle, See y'all later. Darn DH!

It is snowing gently right now and I am trying hard to not let it affect my mood. I need to get out of the house more and can hardly wait for the walking to improve. Hershey needs a good village walk with my and I sure can't manage a dog on a lead and my damned cane on snow and ice. There's an indoor walking program in a community centre in the next village but I can't persuade them to let me bring my dog. (I do see their point but don't like it!)

Donna comes to clean this morning - it's kitchen cupboard day - and I have a trip to the Delta Dump on the schedule for this afternoon. Such excitement! At least, I'll be out of the house.

I hope your Hump Day is just wacky and wild enough to be interesting.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:56 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 148/142/120

Height: 5'NOTHING

Kara - I am still in P1 where yogurt is a no-no. I have some cottage cheese in here, but I'm not really fond of it because it's got pineapple and aspartame in it. I don't have any plain as there really isn't anyone to eat it.

Loriann - I haven't had caffeine in years. If I had any now, it would just make me sick. Don't worry about the scale. Keep reading to find out about my weird scale tale.

Cat - so sorry your plans got ruined. UTIs can be helped by cranberry juice (not cocktail). See if she can drink a bunch of that with the water, too.

Barb - I dunno what WFH is?

Kara - Instead of asking if Tom is home, I'm going to ASSUME he is, and that's why you aren't here to greet your friends this AM. (See, I told y'all she'd have better things to do! )

ME?
Well, a funny thing happened. Today is St. Joseph's Day - so the kids have a buffet at school where they bring meatless dishes. My DD9 wanted to make this pumpkin/cream cheese loaf, so we did. I just COULD NOT resist. I cut off one of the ends (it's a little crunchy and I was worried it would get wasted ) and ate it. Sugar and all. Oh, was it yummy. Few hours later, I went back and ate the other end. Yep, bad girl. Then guess what happened? I stepped on the scale this morning and that darned scale finally moved and I lost the next pound! Too funny! Perhaps I wasn't eating ENOUGH?

I'm having another yucky morning, now my hormones have kicked in. Sometimes midcycle I get hot flashes and nausea. I'm also "too young" for these according to my doctor, but it's not like my body listens to her.

I have lots of running around today, so I have to go pack my food as well as all the other things I need to take for my various stops. Have a good day, everyone!
Old 03-12-2008, 08:56 AM   #11  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

Middle of the week so you know what that means - it's almost the weekend Weathers suppose to be pretty good here today. I was up at 5:15 this morning and on the treadmil and then theres dh's softball practice this evening so I plan on getting in a 4 mile walk & some bowflex before bedtime

Loriann I hope you can tackle those headaches
Cottage enjoy your time off - the girls will be back soon enough
Cat sorry to hear about your daughter. Hope all works out for yall
Barb Good luck with all your going through
Schmoodle doesn't your dh know it's 3FC time right now
Have a great day Ruth
Old 03-12-2008, 08:58 AM   #12  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

Morning Krystal we were simulposting. Congrats on getting that scale to move
Old 03-12-2008, 09:06 AM   #13  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Hi, Everyone! <----that's because I can't see it in the sky here...

Loriann, I hear you on the coffee! I love good coffee and find it very hard to stay away, and I don't even have the option of free fresh stuff like you. That's quite the temptation! Can you get decaf? Would it satisfy you? Maybe you can have two cups of the "leaded" stuff and make the rest of your cups decaf? I usually find decaf just as good, though I like the flavors sometimes added to the regular stuff... I find it hard on some days to stick to the two servings of caffeine requirement, but it really is important. Caffeine has such an effect on insulin--and it could even be the reason your weight has stalled. It also has similar effects on your blood sugar that sugar does--so it could also be the reason for your exhaustion at the end of the day. I read a great article on it a while back--I'll see if I can fine it. I'm sure the workout will help with the headache and the caffeine!

Cottage, I'm so glad you're getting a break--you deserve it! I bet the girls are going to have a blast!!!

Oh, Cat, I'm so sorry the trip to NO was a bust...and that DD is feeling so unwell. That's awful! I hope she feels much better very soon and you can try again before she leaves. Does she take cranberry supplements? I've been using them since I started SBD (no juice), and they are super convenient. I find that just a couple days of them and I feel perfect again. Glad you're getting her juice and that you think you'll be able to get out today! The yogurt you're making sounds delish! I make a similar protein smoothie--I use regular yogurt and NSA frozen fruit with SF syrup, protein powder, a little skim milk, and some psyllium husks (makes it so filling!!!). It's yummy!

Barb, I'm sorry about the high cost, but glad you figured things out so you can go forward. Is there anything someone in the legal system can do to force Robert to at least pass along information? That must be so frustrating. I understand the emotions behind it, but why do people do silly things to stall something they know is inevitable? I hope things go well today--is there any way you can be out of the house when he comes or would you be worried that he'd take things that aren't his?

Schmoo--my husband has your mom's problem. He drinks about 5 or 6 cups a day at work and when he's home on the weekends, he doesn't drink any coffee, so he has vicious headaches, though he won't admit that the coffee is why. Gotta love men...

Ruth, my friend (a fellow dog-slave) and I both agree that an indoor dog walking area should exist in climates like ours! It's awful to have nowhere to walk your dog unless you plan on taking your life into your hands (you should see the sheet of ice on our driveway...it's an insurance rep's nightmare! ). One thing which might not be in your general area, but perhaps somewhere nearby, is to go visit a pet store. It's an inside place where you can take your dog. You can't get nearly as much exercise there as you could at, say, a park, but perhaps with your knee, it's a good thing. Of course, there are other dogs to distract Hersh and lots of good smells, but it's something. I know it must be so frustrating to be homebound, but it'd be worse if it were gorgeous outside, right?

Me:
Snow falling here, too. I can't help that rush of joy I feel when I see the little flakes...but I also think, "More???" Supposedly we're due for a storm on Saturday. I hope not--I'm going to be at a scrapbook retreat I usually attend with my dear friend, Mel, but she had a baby two weeks ago, so she's not coming with. She is planning, however, to come visit us on Saturday with the little guy. If it storms, she might get stuck at home or stuck with us--either way won't be good for her. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Gym after work today and then off to our last Faith Formation class in Lent. I have so much packing to do for the retreat that I may try to fit some in after we get home...but I have a lot I usually do at that time, so who knows. Life has been way too busy lately!

We're having Lentil Barley Chili from the website Cat gave us last week (thanks, Cat...lots of great recipes!) for dinner tonight. It was a little confusing, but I think I figured it out. I made it last night because I didn't think I'd have time to get it done before we have to leave tonight. So all I have to do when I get home is reheat it on the stove (our micro is broken...) and then we can actually eat before class! That's a first this Lent!

Hope everyone has a great day and keeps their eyes peeled for signs of spring...they have to be around here somewhere!

Last edited by beachgal; 03-12-2008 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:06 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Yaaa, he's a little cranky because he pulled his back and he actually wanted me to pitch in and help get the kids out the door since they were running late!

Hi Laurie! So, how about if we have two REALLY BIG servings/day? Off to check out that website now...

Last edited by Schmoodle; 03-12-2008 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:29 AM   #15  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoodle View Post
Hi Laurie! So, how about if we have two REALLY BIG servings/day? Off to check out that website now...
Yeah, I'd like that too, Schmoo! Unfortunately, I know it won't help...but I just love my cawfeeeeee!

Krystal, you are DEFINTELY allowed yogurt in Phase 1. You just have to stick with plain yogurt--but you can flavor it with any SF syrup, with Splenda (Erythritol, Equal, any sugar substitute) and a little extract (orange, vanilla, etc.), or even with cinnamon, Splenda, and some nuts. It's an essential part of SBD for me...I've very rarely gone a day without it! Hon, I'm wondering--did you read the book? If not, you really, really should. We're not allowed pineapple in Phase 1 or 2, and it's limited in Phase 3 because of its high sugar content. So toss that cottage cheese or give it to someone else in your family. Congrats on the lost pound--it's quite possible that you needed to be eating more. Check your daily calories using a tool like www.fitday.com and make sure you're getting at least 1200. You may want to go over the book and the lists in the FAQ to make sure you aren't avoiding other foods, like yogurt, that you are allowed. If you make this WOE too limited, you're much more likely to want to cheat. Hon, save yourself the pain and avoid baking or making things you know you'll want to eat until you get to a place where you feel you can avoid the temptation (that didn't happen for months for me--but I can now have tons of stuff in the house without caring). Your children will understand--and you can always just purchase something pre-made. Watch yourself for cravings. Technically, if you eat any sugar/white flour in Phase 1, you need to start over. If you see any sight of cravings, just tack on at least 3 more days of P1 until they are fully gone. Okay? I know that's frustrating--but it definitely helps you avoid cheating to know that if you do, you have to start all over again!

Dang, Gonna, you're an exercising !!! Wow!!!
Closed Thread