South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-28-2008, 11:03 PM   #1  

Default Onion Rings Question

Prior to SB, my husband and I loved to pick up a bag of frozen onion rings and bake them in the oven. Does anyone have any suggestions for a P2 onion ring recipe? Preferably baked onion rings. I found one recipe that was online in SBD Cookbook for a Homestyle Green Bean Casserole that had onion rings placed on top of it and the recipe was P2, so I am assuming (hopefully not incorrectly) that a small amount of baked onion rings would be possible.

Hmmm. I am thinking on this one.
TechieGrrl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:47 AM   #2  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

I think I saw a Rachel Ray once where she made onion rings. Let me see...

Here's her recipe. I'm sure you could substitute whole wheat flour, but other than that I don't know how you'd do the baking vs. frying bit.

Vegetable or canola oil for frying
2 large sweet Vidalia onions
2 cans evaporated milk, 5 ounces
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon dried mustard
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon sweet paprika, 1/3 palm full
Coarse salt
Dipping sauce:
1 cup reduced fat sour cream, eyeball the amount
1/4 cup chili sauce, eyeball the amount
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

Heat 1 inch of vegetable or canola oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat.
Cut onions across into 1-inch rings and separate. Discard the outer layer of skin on your rings. Pour evaporated milk into a small, deep bowl. Mix flour with seasonings in a pie plate or shallow dish. Dip individual rings in milk, then coat in flour. And repeat for a double dip. Fry in a single layer in hot oil until golden brown. Remove to brown paper bag or paper towel lined surface to drain. Salt while hot, to your taste.

For dipping sauce, combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir.

Tip: refrigerate your onions and canned evaporated milk when you unpack from the grocery store. The colder the better for making onion rings!

Personally, I'd just sautee some ringed onions in a little olive oil.

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:07 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

You can dip onion rings in a little beaten egg, then dredge in whole wheat panko crumbs. Then spray them with a little Pam olive oil spray and bake them in the oven at 425* for about 20 minutes or until browned to your satisfaction. You can add a little garlic powder or parmesan cheese to the beaten egg if you like.

Kara, that Rachel Ray recipe wouldn't be SBD friendly unless you would substitute evaporated skim milk for the evaporated milk, and find a substitute for the chili sauce which contains too much sugar. It sounds good, though, although pretty high in calories.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:17 AM   #4  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for the recipe scrutiny, Linda!

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:29 AM   #5  

These recipes sound perfect. I wouldn't have thought to put any spices into the batter, such as the cayenne pepper, mustard, garlic powder. Hmm. The whole wheat Panko bread crumbs sound like exactly what I am looking for to make these. Thank you both for the replies. I am off in search of ww Panko breadcrumbs for a treat this weekend!

TechieGrrl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:11 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 164/156/123

Height: 5'2

Whole wheat Panko- I need to find those.

We used crushed Wheat Bran Chex last night on top of portobello mushrooms, very good, so I thought of trying to bread those LF cheesesticks and baking them. Anyone try it? I had cut one of the sticks in our filling last night. They didnt melt completely but enough to be chewy and good.
SAnativegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:34 PM   #7  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

On the Hungry Girl website, she has a recipe with Egg Beaters & crushed Fiber One cereal.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote