South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 12-29-2007, 06:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

Default What was your kick-start event that prompted you to lose weight

Mine was finding out that my bad cholesterol was too high.
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 06:54 PM   #2  

Height: 5' 7"

Mine was seeing a picture of myself last Christmas- I have never been that big on top mainly carried weight on bottom half but in the picture I looked heavy up top and my arms were getting fat. It was a wake up call for me.
Pearlrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:09 PM   #3  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

I am not doing south beach diet,
BUT,
my kick start was that my biggest pants, size 14 were digging into me, leaving marks, breaking buttons and hooks, to where I couldn't reach down to put my shoes on because I couldn't breath. All the signs of going shopping for size 16 or higher.
I looked at my profile, naked, in the mirror, and looked 4 months pregnet.
I didn't want to have sex.
My bras were too tight.
I bought underwear and had to cut it up the sides so that I could wear them, that was a big kick start.
My winter coat didn't fit!
But the BIGGEST thing was trying on a size 8 blue dress that I wore in the summer of 2006, it was so tight, my breasts wouldn't fit into the cups.
I had a wedding to go to and had to buy a new dress.
Then I realized that I felt too big to go to my company christmas party, again!
That is what did it for me!

Last edited by vixjean; 12-29-2007 at 07:10 PM.
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I have wondered about this many times, why, this time, I decided to actually do something, when there were so many other times I wished I could lose weight, but never got motivated enough to try. It's a mystery still, but for some reason, that particular Saturday last May, I got on a plan and stayed on it. Now, two things that might have pushed me over are:
My size 22 jeans were getting VERY tight, and I was going to have to move up a size. I think I had convinced myself that I had reached some upper limit of fatness and wouldn't ever get any bigger. I had been the same jeans size for several years. And then I started having to lie down to zip.
Also, I had company coming last summer that hadn't seen me in years, and I was really embarrassed for them to see me so big. I lost 15 lbs. by the time they came, and even though that was a drop in the bucket and hardly noticeable, it did make me feel better, and I wanted to keep going.

As I mentioned though, I'd had reasons just as good many times before, so why these were magic,
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:19 PM   #5  
I CAN DO THIS!!

S/C/G: 360.6/335.4/140

Height: 5'7˝"

For me it was similar to what Schmoodle wrote. There have been so many times, reasons, events, etc that SHOULD have motivated/pushed me to lose the weight but didn't. I just woke up one Saturday and decided the time to do something was now... not tomorrow, not Monday, not next week, not next month but NOW. I still don't know the reason but something just clicked for me and I am SO happy that it happened.
gina1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:27 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 248/216/148

Height: 5'11"

Mine was when my four year old godson (His mom was 7 months pregnant at the time) asked me when I was having my baby. Kids say the darndest and most honest things. I started 2 weeks later.
THINBYJUNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:43 PM   #7  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I had knee surgery 6 years ago. At the time the doc told me the only other thing she could do was knee replacement. My knee started to ache every time I walked up stairs. I'm only 46 and replacement knees don't last as long as I plan to. At that moment I knew that the only thing I could do was get the weight off and keep it off. Even 30 lbs would mean significantly less pressure on my knees.

Now, as I feel better and have more energy I'm finding other reasons to stick with it.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:17 PM   #8  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

Mine was stepping on the scale last Dec 17th and it said 200.5...I felt like if I didn't start right then (and I did) that I would never get under 200 again.
dixied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:27 PM   #9  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

Mine was in May of this year the doc saying all the meds were just about out of my system and I could TRY to lose weight. I waited years to hear that.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 12-29-2007 at 09:28 PM.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:12 PM   #10  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs down Katrina Victim

I watched on TV as a large victim of Hurricane Katrina was unable to get out of a small boat without three men helping her. Didn't want to be like that.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:49 PM   #11  
MuffinTop - Begone!!!

S/C/G: 188/Ticker/155

Height: 5' 7"

I've tried the SBD before, and I might incorporate it into my current plan. But my kick start event was actually having Christmas dinner with my inlaws. I ate, and ate, and ate till I was full, and then I ate some more. The feeling of out of control that I had at the end of that meal was something that I didn't want to feel again. I felt that I needed to rein in the portion control, or I would be forced to replace all of my clothes within the next few weeks, as everything I owned was digging into my waist, back, and hips. I had lost about 20 lbs on SBD before, and I wanted to feel that feeling of control and empowerment that I felt back then. This time, it's for good!
Venvix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:08 AM   #12  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

I am feeling fat,uncomfortable, back is hurting, clothes are getting tight. I have been doing sbd for what seems like forever. But not really staying true, I lose some feel great and then my old habits sneak back in. I have done nothing but eat the entire holiday season and am feeling horrible. So I am starting back Jan 1. I just want to be a healthier me.
little chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:01 AM   #13  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

I've posted this story before but....

My Dad was in the hospital when Katrina hit. He had been sick for years with diabetes,cogestive heart failure, knee replacements, back surgeries, etc. He had just had another surgery before the storm hit and had just been moved from intensive care to critical care. Long story short, since we had no communcation (no phones, cell phones, not allowed into New Orleans) we did not know what had happened to my parents for days. I was finally able to get in my car and start driving several days later when all the debris was moved out of my street (I live about an hour north of N.O.) We drove towards Baton Rouge and finally got a cell signal. I called my sister in North Carolina and it was then I found out that she had chartered a medical jet and somehow they got to New Orleans and got my parents out. Daddy was in the hospital in NC for about a month after that. In Dec of that year, on his birthday, he was diagnosed with kidney cancer and told he had 6 months to live.

I was able to visit at Christmas and Easter of that year and we talked a lot while I was there. The last day I saw him alive was Easter, April 16th. He died on May 23rd. On one of our last talks on Easter day, he told me that he really wanted me to lose weight and did not want me to suffer like he had. He had bugged me for years about my weight and usually it just made me mad. On that day it did not, I could tell he was concerned that I would go down the same path as he did. I promised him on that day that I would lose weight.

I didn't do a thing about the weight for a year. My whole world had turned upside down since the storm and I ate away the grief. Then one day, I woke up and something said to me, "today is the day", and I started researching what "diet" would be best for me and that's when I found SB. I bought the book the next day and read all day and started the day after that. A few days later, I realized that I had started on April 16th...a year to the day since the last time I saw my Daddy. I like to think it was him reminding me of my promise. I kept the promise and met my goal a few weeks ago. I plan on eating this way the rest of my life (except on Thanksgiving and Christmas!!)

My Mama now spends winter with me and the rest of the year with my sister in NC. this year, my Mom and Sister flew in a few weeks early to also attend a family wedding. They arrived here in early November. I went to pick them up at the airport and when I saw my Mama walking towards me on the concourse, I'll never forget the look on her face and the comment she made. She had tears in her eyes, hugged me and said "Look at my SKINNY daughter. Daddy would be so proud of you!!" It was worth every not-eaten cookie to hear that. And she was right. Daddy would have been so proud.

Last edited by femmecreole; 12-30-2007 at 07:14 AM.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:17 AM   #14  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Cat, that is so touching!

Unfortunately I'm still waiting for my kick-start moment. I am not very faithful to my diet plan and it shows. Sometimes I feel very guilty about being a MOD on this Forum and doling out so much advice. "Heal thyself." I'm hoping being scheduled for knee surgery in late January will be an incentive to get with the programme.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:49 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

Cat - what a beautiful story and tribute to your dad. I know he would have been proud of you!

For me, I've been trying for a long time - ages it seems. Being diagnosed with PCOS told me the truth. My body was working against me when it came to weight loss and that I would have to work harder than if I didn't have it. About a month ago, DH decided that he wanted to lose his (miniscule) gut and find his six-pack, so he joined me by working out when I did and eating what I did. It wasn't negative at all, which is hard for him, being the world's best pessimist! I'll admit, I consider him a bit of a drill sargeant when it comes to food, but having him work out at the same time I do means the world to me. Seeing the disappointment on his face makes me put food back now because I know he's making the same sacrifices I am. I'm seeing some wonderful changes in our bodies and our relationship. It's brought us closer than we've been in a while. I think that the fact that I've lost 8.5 lbs since before Thanksgiving is a true testament to what DH and I can do together. We're in this for the long haul and we're in it together!

Last edited by Kim_Star060404; 12-30-2007 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Kim_Star060404 is offline   Reply With Quote