What are you reading in 2008?

You're on Page 23 of 27
Go to
  • Quote: Is the lecture you found just under the book title in the search on iTunes? I'd love to look it up! The book sounds great, but my TBR pile is getting huge... Where do you get your audio books? It seems like a lot of the places I've found online are sooo expensive, especially when I can get books on CD for nothing from our library. Our library does do audio books online, but they don't work with iPods, for some reason. Tell me more about Alice Hoffman. What kind of books does she write? Why do you like her?
    Laurie-
    I just searched the iTunes store for Michael Pollan and then checked out the iTunes University offerings. Never even knew those were there before!

I can't recommend Alice Hoffman enough. She writes stories about real people painted with a magic realism brush. They are hard to describe adequately, I always find them very absorbing and hard to put down. There isn't one of her books I haven't liked since a friend who worked at a publishing house picked up her first two books on an overstock table. I actually think she is getting better as time goes on. She writes a lot too, always a good quality in a writer I like She also writes young adult books though I haven't read any of them yet.

Just reading the rest of your post makes me sad. I have been so impressed at how strong and certain my daughter and her friends are and hoped things really had changed.
  • Cyndi - I really enjoyed In Defense Of Food. I'm a huge Michael Pollan fan lately.

Laurie - it really creates interesting discussion. We both joined the book club (it will be a nice date night) and discussing while we're reading together makes for easier discussion at book club....which btw, is less than a week away and we haven't progressed much in the book because of the move.

Also, I'm going to have to pick up Infidel. Maybe I'll recommend it for our next book.

-

I picked up Bringing Up Boys, by James Dobson. I'm usually not a fan of religious based parenting books, but Dobson's books have really been fantastic. I'm about 1/4 of the way through this one and it really fits my DS to a 'T'. Definitely recommended if you have one of those boys that is "all boy".
  • Welcome, Mistypaw. my 11 yo dd LOVES your name and your av.
  • Hi everyone! I'm here and my reading for the past month has been laughable! I was re-reading the HP series for a while, just because it's easy reading and a definite stress-buster, but now that's even gone to the dogs. I plan on re-reading parts of The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver tonight because I've got a book lovers' craft swap going on and I need inspiration.

I need to scroll back through and see what the rest of you are reading. Fall is here and that's my favorite time to cuddle up with a great book!
  • my dh surprised me with a book - 3 fat chicks on a diet. he said he found it at a second hand store and thought i might want to read it since i'm on the site so i started it lastnight
  • I've been reading Water for Elephants the last few days after having it on my bookshelf forever. It's pretty fascinating and I am impressed at how well a woman can write from a man's point of view...I know that is something I find nearly impossible. I would agree with Laurie, though, that the animal cruelty makes it a little hard to digest. I am probably 2/3 done and will let you know what I think at the end! Which could be today. I am working 1/2 days now which leaves more time for reading and laying around on the couch!!
  • Misty! Glad you've joined us! I know next to nothing about your reading interest areas so I'm looking forward to your reviews! I've read Neil Gaiman's Sandman series (just the first two), but they weren't my thing at all...the violence was too much for me, though I loved his sense of humor. Most of the graphic novels I've read have been about war/history, like Maus and Persepolis (both of which I adored), though I read Alison Bechdel's Fun House for personal reasons and absolutely adored it. She's working on a second book, but I haven't been to her blog lately, so I'm not sure what it's about. I'm sure I'll enjoy it, though. What's your current series about? My TBR (To Be Read) pile is ginormous, too. So little time, so many books!

Oh, wow, Rebel! I'm sorry it wasn't that good...I live very close to Troy. Didn't know that book was out there. Did the author live in Troy? Interesting place to locate a book!

Cyndi, I really pray you're right about your daughter and friends. I know that my personal friends are certainly very strong women who believe we're just as worthy as men. But there definitely seems to be a backlash from the feminism of the past, and I hate to see that. Some women are just more comfortable with the idea that we aren't as strong as men and shouldn't try to be. I think that's so sad. Seeing all that women have and continue to contribute to our world, it makes me wonder how anyone could see women as weak. But that's me. Glad your daughter and her friends (and you!) are in our world. I'll definitely look up Alice Hoffman...thanks for the recommend. And I'd never heard about iTunes University...I'll definitely check that out, too! Thanks, Cyndi!

Zeff, I definitely have Bringing up Boys on my TBR pile if we ever have a male child, though I think I'll read it with a grain of salt, because sometimes Dobson is a bit over the top. But I do respect some of his advice, and when I've heard him talk about that particular book, he really seems to have a lot of great information and advice. Hope it helps you and DS!

Kim, you not reading is like a woman avoiding chocolate! What's up? Do you use Swap Bot? I've never used it, but a dear friend of mine is very active on there and loves it. Sounds like a really fun swap--loving books and crafts as I do! Poisonwood would be a great inspiration. I'd be inspired to do something with cake mix. I always think about the cake mix boxes in their clothes at the beginning of the book. That's hilarious!

Gonna, the 3FC book is phenomenal!!! I can't say enough about it. The sisters reveiewed all the diets that were popular at the time (pretty much all the ones that are popular now!) and give info on them that helps you decide if they're right for you or not. For each diet, they give tips and tricks from members and their own experiences along with recipes that they created themselves. It's awesome!!! You'll see some of the regular chickies in little sections of the book. I hope you love it!

YAY for working 1/2 days, Jessie! I'm so glad you're putting your feet up. It's going to be hard work once the little one arrives, so you need to rest up! I really did like Water for Elephants, but the animal (and sometimes human) cruelty was just a bit too much for me. Still, there are some beautiful moments in it, and I felt like I learned something from it. I'm with you, though, Jessie, on sexes writing as if they were the opposite one. I was amazed that a man wrote Memoirs of a Geisha. He really hit on how a woman thinks.

I'm still working on Infidel though I also started reading Potatoes, Not Prozac, which is really revealing! It came out in '98, before SBD, so it has some info that we read about in the SBD book, but it also talks about how seratonin and beta-endorphin levels in your brain affect your eating and emotions. I'm fascinated and can't wait to read more!
  • Laurie: I know! I don't know what's going on. I did finally decide that I would get a Kindle for Christmas this year. Maybe having that will allow me more reading time. I swap on craftster and love it! It is so easy to get addicted. It would have been great to make a journal out of a cake mix box; wish I would have brought this up sooner! As it is, I'm making her and Adah-inspired library book to keep track of who has borrowed what book from her. It's my first adventure in book-binding, so it may be interesting at my house tomorrow night.

I finally got my bookcase reorganized and feel like I can breathe when I look at it again. I'm currently on HP: Goblet of Fire. I'm enjoying rereading the series. As soon as I'm done with that, I'm planning on rereading the Little House on the Prairie series because I'm feeling quite nostalgic and those are always easy reads. After that, I've got Sinner by Ted Dekker waiting, not to mention whatever Booksfree books I've got coming in. Once I get the swap stuff out, I'll really have time to read. I can't wait for Friday night!
  • Well, I did finish Water for Elephants last night and while it does have some cringe moments (including sexual, which I am not a fan of) I thought the writing was exceptional and it was just so nice to read something of a different subject matter--how often do you see books about the circus in the 30s? I loved the ending and definitely think it deserves the high esteem it got when it came out--which you can't say for every best-seller.

The next book I picked up to read is The Vanishing Point by Mary Sharratt, which I have heard excellent things about. But I haven't started it yet, so something else could always catch my eye!
  • I am reading The Forgotten Legion by Ben Kane. I love it as it is full of action and set in Ancient Rome with plenty to keep you turning the pages. There are Gladiators, Slaves, Gauls, The Roman Army, Political intrigue and characters that you want to do well and some that you want to get their just desserts.
    Romulus and Fabiola are twins, born into slavery after their mother is raped by a drunken nobleman on his way home from a good night out. At 13 years old, they and their mother are sold: Romulus to gladiator school, Fabiola into prostitution, where she will catch the eye of one of the most powerful men in Rome, and their mother into obscurity and death in the salt mines. Tarquinius is an Etruscan, a warrior and soothsayer, born enemy of Rome, but doomed to fight for the Republic in the Forgotten Legion. Brennus is a Gaul; the Romans killed his entire family. He rises to become one of the most famous and feared gladiators of his day - and mentor to the boy slave, Romulus, who dreams night and day of escape and of revenge.The lives of these four characters are bound and interwoven in a marvellous story which begins in a Rome riven by corruption, violence and political enmities, but ends far away, where Romulus, Brennus and Tarquinius find themselves fighting against the Parthians and overwhelming odds.

It is a really great read and anyone who likes historical fiction should enjoy this book as long as they like plenty of action.
    I think I have sorted out who Romulus and Fabiola's father is. I am also pretty certain what Fabiola will do as well and how she will become more than a prostitute, as the person she is assocaiated with is none other than Brutus.
    I hope that there will be other books from this author as I would definately read them if they as good as this his first ever novel.
  • Great review, Paula! My dad loves books like that--he's very into ancient Rome.

Kim, let me know how you like your Kindle. I like the idea of it, but I think there's something about turning the pages of a real book. Still, it'd be great to highlight things and to copy and paste (can you do that?) the quotes I like. I end up having to type quotes into the computer when I finish a book and that often makes them late at the library. Wonder if the amount I pay in library fees would cover a Kindle?

Jessie, I'm glad you liked Water for Elephants. I felt pretty similar. I don't mind explicit sex in my books, but I found the sex scenes in WFE very disturbing and over-the-top, especially the scene with the clown/little person roommate of the main character (I forget names so fast!). I thought they could easily have made that scene more discrete--we all knew what was going on, for goodness' sake!

I haven't heard anything about the Vanishing Point...looking forward to hearing what you think of it!
  • Laurie - RE: Bringing Up Boys; I tend to take every parenting book with a grain of salt. Some of the most beneficial books that I've read have been a bit over the top (ie; Shepherding A Child's Heart). My SIL is the type to read a parenting book and then apply every principal verbatim to her child...and then get frustrated and confused when every single one doesn't work. In the end, it only confuses her son and frustrates her! No book is going to be a miracle cure...which is why I've read so many! I sort through the information and pick principals that I think would work for my DS and my family and try them. I usually end up adapting it somehow and it works. Children are all so very different.

Anyway, I agree with you on Dobson being a bit over the top at times. I've read most of his other parenting books and his advice really meshes well with our personal thoughts on parenting. I've enjoyed Bringing Up Boys, The Strong Willed Child and Dare to Discipline the most.

--

Book club is tonight. We're about halfway through the book...uh oh. I think we may have to cancel...I feel really bad as this is a new book club and this is our first meeting. We've just been so busy!

Before the move I was kind of dabbling in Race Rules as I've been trying to educate myself more on race in America. I completely disagree with the book's thesis, but it is an opposing viewpoint and I think it is important to educate yourself completely...not just with what you believe or agree with.

--

I don't know if I can finish Race Rules...I used to have a problem with not finishing books, but since reading How to Read A Book I don't feel so guilty. Some books are just not meant to be finished by some...

I picked up the Housekeeping Handbook by Martha Stewart and History of the American People by Paul Johnson tonight. I've been looking to get a housekeeping manual for quite some time and this one is perfect. Tons of great little tips. I'm excited to read the History book, as I think this is the one I plan to use for homeschooling. Also, with the recent political climate in America, I think it is important to brush up on my American History....because I didn't learn anything in highschool history.
  • Sounds like you're a really eclectic reader, Zeff! I have trouble not finishing a book, too. It really weighs on me. Especially since my childhood, when I didn't finish two books that I went back to years later, and found that if I'd just kept reading a couple more pages, I would have fallen in love! (one was the Phantom Tollbooth). Still, some books just aren't right for us and why waste time on them?

I finished Infidel. It really, really has me thinking about Islam and the effects of it. I work so hard to be tolerant and respectful of other cultures and ideas, but I don't want to be supportive of something that is harmful to the people within that culture or outside of it, too. I don't want to be a "lame duck." The book really has me conflicted, but I'm looking forward to our book club discussion to help me think out loud about it. Nonetheless, I'm thrilled to be done with the slew of "important to read but heavy on my heart" books!!!

I'm reading a total piece of mind candy right now: All the Wrong Places by Karin Kallmaker. It's fun and I'm enjoying it a lot. I'm still working on Potatoes Not Prozac (mean to get back to it, at least). I finished listening to Barrel Fever by David Sedaris. It was interesting and though there were one or two funny parts, it wasn't particularly recommendable. Still, it's interesting as a portrait of David finding his "voice." Now I'm listening to Holidays on Ice and it's absolutely hilarious! The part I'm on is the Santaland Diaries--David's take on the experience of being an elf in Macy's Santaland in NYC.
  • I am still working through The Vanishing Point by Sharratt but I think it will be highly recommended when I am finished. It is SO well written! And again, just something I hadn't read about before. I love Christian romantic fiction but sometimes it just seems like the same thing over and over again (same with chicklit, mysteries, etc.). Nice to read something set somewhere different. Every time I read a historical fiction piece I find myself loving it. Guess I should stick more to those!
  • Sounds wonderful, Jessie! Bet you aren't having much time to read right now, though, eh? Hope the delivery goes (went?) well and you are resting with your baby girl soon!

Look forward to hearing more about it, Jessie--I hear you on the joy of reading a romance that's different and the fun of historical fiction. I really enjoy it. We watched "Made of Honor" this weekend and I really enjoyed all the Scottish stuff after years of enjoying historical fiction set in Scotland. Nothing like a big, burly Scottsman wrapping you up in his kilt and whisking you off to his castle. *swoon*

I finished All the Wrong Places by Karin Kallmaker and found it absolutely wonderful. Definitely had explicit sex, though, for those who aren't into that. It was different than the norm, though, and I especially liked the fact that the characters were metacognitive people who really learned a lot about themselves as the book progressed.

I'm working on one of Gary Chapman's books...I'm forgetting the title right now, but it's about finding "meaningful solutions" to difficult problems in marriage. We don't have most of the ones described in the book, but I'm finding it especially helpful as DH and I have very opposite views in this election and that's tough!

Looking forward to hearing what the rest of you are reading!