South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 11:20 PM   #1  

Default Milk question

i am starting SB in the morning- I have been reading my book etc- I am concerned about the dairy requirement because i don't like yogurt or plain milk- any suggestions? thanks!
Old 09-05-2007, 03:05 AM   #2  
On the Path again

S/C/G: 242/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

LF Cottage cheese
Shredded cheese in eggs, meals, etc.
Cheese for snacking

One of the ways I "hide" my dairy is in eggs -- I'll pour it in when I'm mixing up the eggs and it makes them very light and fluffy (and also doubles the size!).

You can slip it into coffee/tea if you normally use cream.

I'm sure others will have more/better ideas; this was off the top of my head.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:52 AM   #3  
Allie

S/C/G: 225/210/135

Height: 5'5''

I would hide it too. :P

But you can definitely work with this diet without dairy- I do. However, if you don't have a medical reason not to, it probably makes things easier and helps with phase 1 flu. Plus if you're a soy milk type of gal, you have to really watch it because most have copious amounts of sugar in it.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:19 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 375/ticker/275

Height: 5'7.5"

I reeeeally don't like plain yogurt. I like the kind with fruit in them, but those are a no-no. The way I got around that was to add some Splenda to my yogurt and sweeten it up. Much easier on my tastebuds.

Since you don't like milk or yogurt, try to find recipes the have milk or yogurt as an ingredient. That way you don't have to choke it down just to fulfill a requirement. Use a little milk in your scrambled eggs to give them extra fluff; sprinkle cheese your foods (salads, dinner bakes, etc.).
Old 09-05-2007, 05:59 AM   #5  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

I'm not a plain yogurt lover myself...BUT, if you get plain no fat no sugar added yogurt and add agave necter to it and a handfull of toasted nuts such as almonds..it is a real treat!! (if you can find Fage no fat greek yogurt, it is wonderful)

Another thing I just love is iced coffee. I have a toddy coffee maker..I pour a glass of milk and then add the coffee concentrate to taste then add splenda or stevia vanilla or chocolate drops to it. It is decadant...I call it big girl chocolate milk. I have one every day when I get home from job number one before I start job number two and it's a real pick me up. Beats star bucks hands down.

Last edited by femmecreole; 09-05-2007 at 06:00 AM.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:54 AM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Just for the record, cheese is not considered dairy in this plan.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:30 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 267.2/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

I know you aren't supposed to have any fruit in P1, but I cheated and did. I love the Dannon Light 'N' Fit yogurt. I got the snack size (4 oz) and even though they have some fruit, it's non-fat, sugar free, and between 40 and 45 cals. per cup.

I still lost on P1, and it made it much easier to get in my dairy. I'm not trying to promote cheating, but I'm lactose intolerant, so I can't have any milk but soy, which isn't that low in fat, and cheese bothers me too.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:47 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

The Greek Yogurt Cat mentioned is really good. It is thicker and creamier than regular yogurt, so if you don't like the texture of regular you might prefer it. I also make a latte almost every day with a cup of skim milk, coffee concentrate or instant coffee, and sf syrup or just extract (vanilla or other) and splenda. You can make sf hot chocolate with milk instead of water. And Chai the same way. Also, the cottage cheese pancake from The SBD Book is really yummy, but it is for Ph2 because of the oatmeal. You wouldn't know there was cottage cheese in it.

Ruth, I'm still a little fuzzy on the line between cheese/dairy in this diet. Ricotta and cottage cheese count as dairy, not cheese, right? What about cream cheese?

If cream cheese counts, the breakfast cheesecake is really good (Ph1 recipes).
Old 09-05-2007, 10:05 AM   #9  
Come on Spring!

From the revised Phase I Food List in the FAQ
Quote:
MILK/DAIRY
(2 cups allowed daily, including yogurt)
Low-fat milk (fat-free and 1%)
Fat-free 1/2 & 1/2 (less than 2 tablespoons)
Low-fat plain, vanilla, or sucralose-containing soy milk (4 grams of fat or less per 8 ounce serving). Be sure the product does not contain high fructose corn syrup
1% or fat-free buttermilk
Fat-free plain yogurt
Ricotta and cottage cheese are considered cheese. Cream cheese is too although I've yet to find dairy-free cream cheese up here in the frozen north.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:53 AM   #10  

I love getting the plain nonfat yogurt and adding Splenda and cinnamon to it. I do that even in phase 2 if I can't get my favorite yogurt.

For milk, I like to add some sugarfree Davinci or Torani syrup to it. The chocolate and vanilla ones are really good in milk.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:28 PM   #11  
Come on Spring!

You can turn yogurt into "cheese" which is similar to cream cheese. Just dump it into a cheesecloth lined strainer over a bowl and leave it in the fridge overnight. I sometimes do this and then add splenda and cinnamon.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:32 PM   #12  

great ideas for me- i wondered if sugar free nesquik was allowed to help me with my milk drinking? i compared the nutrional values to some diet cocoa i had on hand and they were very comparable- just don't want to mess up the first few days!
Old 09-06-2007, 07:43 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/159

Height: 5'7"

Instead of using the flavored yogurts, which are not recommended in Phase 1, we added either SF jello powder or SF preserves to Plain NF yogurt... both are Phase 1 friendly. The calories for the jello powder or preserves count towards your sweet treat allowance.

savannah, I don't know about the SF nesquik, but if you'd post the nutritional information and the ingredients I'm sure one of us would be happy to look at it for you.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:17 PM   #14  

here goes for the SF Nesquick
calories- 35
carb-3
sugar-3
protein-1

it is very similar to diet/sf cocoa- hopefully i can put that in my milk to get my dairy in-
Old 09-07-2007, 05:10 AM   #15  
Come on Spring!

Looks OK to me. Here are the ingredients COCOA PROCESSED WITH ALKALI, REDUCED MINERALS WHEY(FROM MILK), MALTODEXTRIN, SOY LECITHIN, TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SALT, SUCRALOSE, ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM (NON-NUTRITIVE SWEETENER), SPICE.
Closed Thread