South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 04:01 AM   #1  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Default What makes us want to eat?

I asked this in another group, but I was curious what you all thought in case you don't check in other folders on the forum.

Does anyone know?

Hunger, real hunger, like pains in the stomach hunger. That I understand. Body needs fuel so I want to eat. But WHY? What happens when my belly is empty that my brain interprets as the idea to get my hands to put some food in my mouth?

And what is it about the munchies? You know, the my-gut-isn't-empty-but-I-want-to-snack-on-xxxxx? For me, it's little things, like nuts or bits of cereal or little fruits or baby carrots...things that are generally crunchy and in small pieces. What makes me want to do that? I can be satisfied, hunger-wise, but still want to munch on things.

And, especially, why do I crave certain things? What triggers cravings? I've actually done a bit of reading about South Beach and I understand how certain foods can trigger cravings of certain other foods, but what makes me say in the middle of the day, "I could really go for a xxxxx right now!"?

I figure if I can understand WHY I feel these different kinds of hunger/wanting-to-eat, it will be easier to tame the sensation, if the eating would actually not be good for me at the time (like this afternoon when I wanted to eat an entire bag of cashews just because - sure a couple is fine, but I wanted the WHOLE BAG - I didn't eat it, but I'm still sitting here thinking about it three hours later).

Anyone have any ideas?

Kara
Old 07-19-2007, 07:20 AM   #2  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

My big downfall is the munchies also. I did some research and there seem to be a zillion different reasons for it. Many of the answers I found have to do with "cravings" and the advice was to eat healthy snacks etc between meals and we already do that! I think mine fall in the "emotional" or "habit" category. My "snacky" cravings start when I stop working for the day and it's time to relax. TV gives me the munchies. Like yesterday evening I stopped after a really busy stressful day and like an idiot was watching the food network and Alton Brown was making cakes. I really didn't want cake, but I wanted SOMETHING. I ended up eating a bowl of leftover brussel sprouts followed by a SF popsicle. Evenings have always been my downfall..I guess relaxing=food. Before SB,I could sit down and eat a whole box of "cheese-its", then I wanted something sweet after that, then back to salty. Now that I'm also doing the calorie thing, I check my calorie intake for the day and figure out what I can snack on in the evenings that fall within "my number" and when I'm close to it, it's nothing but water after that. It's funny, but usually when I'm close to that number, I don't have the munchies anymore...so I'm pretty sure it is really physcological.

Is it a certain time of day you get the munchies? You mentioned the afternoon..is that when the kids start to wind down a bit and you are not quite as "stressed" or not in Mommy Mode anymore?
Old 07-19-2007, 07:53 AM   #3  
Visualizing the Goal

It's just kind of random. I can go days and days and then smack-bam-boom, one day I just want to eat and eat and eat and it takes everything to keep the munchies at bay. Today it started around 2:00 this afternoon and I'm still fighting the urge to just eat all the nuts out of the cabinet. I'm not hungry, I just want to snack on something crunchy. I'll have to try to notice the next time it happens and see if there's a particular trigger.

Kara

Edited to add:
I wonder if it *is* psychological. I feel like I subconsciously saboutage myself when I get close to my goal. I've bumped 125 twice but immediately gained. This morning I weighed at 126. It's like some little part of me doesn't want to get there. Is that weird? Why would I do that?

Last edited by tomandkara; 07-19-2007 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:06 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 191/183/140

Height: 5'5

Kara, I was on another thread in the support forum yesterday that raised the question of "what happens when you finally make your goal"? A lot of people who are currently at goal and maintaining where still unhappy with certain body parts (stomachs, legs, etc.) and feeling a little confused about what to do or strive for now that the "diet" was over. Many of them were changing overall goals by another 5 or so pounds to give them a "cushion" against "becoming fat again."

Could what you're going through with gaining/losing the same three pounds be a fear of reaching goal and addressing the "then what..." that will happen afterwards? As a fellow Type-A personality (I think you've mentioned being a perfectionist on this board a few times ) one of my favorite quotes is "Good things come to obsessive compulsives who fixate." And while I'm trying not to fixate on my weight loss so much, I have to admit it's in my mind a lot...at every meal, every snack, every time I get dressed in the morning. And my entire life has been about "losing x pounds." What will happen when I don't have those x pounds to lose anymore? I don't know at this point, and I have to admit it's a bit scary.

A big hug to you Kara! And best of luck on avoiding those nuts! (I finally had to ban peanuts from the house!)
Old 07-19-2007, 03:02 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 221/199.5/160

Height: 5'6

I agree with all of this. I battled to get under 200 pounds. I finally saw 199.5 this morning. Now I want to do is eat Oreos today. I mean all I can think about is dipping Oreos in milk. Why do I want to sabotage myself? It makes me crazy!!
Old 07-19-2007, 03:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 267.2/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

For me, it's all about the crunchy salt. I don't care if it's mixed nuts, chips, popcorn, as long as it's salty and crunchy. I can do with out the sweet things - I have a 4lb bag of M&Ms in my house right now that's been open for months - I can't remember the last time I ate one.

I think I eat because I'm bored. At work, at home... doesn't matter... If there's nothing going on, I'll want to eat something. I've been doing quite well though - I've got some of those 100 cal. packs of chips and chocolate covered pretzels in my desk and if I do want something, I'll grab that, and not hit the vending machine.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:57 PM   #7  
Visualizing the Goal

Betty, I really think there might be something to this. I just don't know why. It almost makes sense what you said - I wouldn't have a "project" any more. Maybe if I line something else up for when I get to my goal? I have no clue. I think I've said this before, but when I'm rich and famous I am going to hire a personal psychologist to figure me out!

And I love your quote! Did you make that up?

Jen, step away from the Oreos!!! You can do it!

Mare, thanks for the advice on the 100 calorie snacks. We're going to the movies tonight and I was going to get a popcorn, but I might pick up a 100 calorie snack instead.

Kara
Old 07-19-2007, 07:09 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 221/199.5/160

Height: 5'6

I didn't give in to the Oreo craving!!!! YAY!!! I tried on clothes that fit now or are close to fitting. Gave me the motivation I needed to leave them alone. Took the girls out to the pool and swam laps while they played. Feel so much better now. Thanks guys!!!
Old 07-19-2007, 07:41 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 191/183/140

Height: 5'5

Kara, I wish I could take credit, but that quote is actually from the movie "Igby Goes Down." The very first time I heard it, I was like ohmygawd that's me!

I think you've brought up a really important topic here...I think it's a problem a lot of us are facing and one that has a different answer for everyone.

Last edited by Bauhaus Betty; 07-19-2007 at 08:19 PM.
Closed Thread