South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 02:02 PM   #1  
Sabbykay

S/C/G: 254/ 220.8 /140

Height: 5' 5"

Default Breaking way from a cheating crowd!

So I did it again!
I've had a really good week, but lunch today when I had two small pieces of pizza and was immediately remeinded why I do not enjoy eating that way.
Some coworkers asked me to pick up pizza on my way back into the building. It wasn't a problem, but I didn't have to have those pieces of pizza.

At least I am getting better at picking restaurants with safe foods, but how do you guys break away from the crowd in a situation like that? I don't want to inform anyone of my new way of eating as it is none of their concern.

Sabbykay
Old 06-21-2007, 03:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 222/=ticker=/150

Height: 5'7"

Most places tend to have some type of salad as a choice. I've always been a dressing on the side kinda girl so I don't think anyone has noticed a change in my eating. I've also always ordered veggies instead of the starch. I think the main difference in my eating out is not finishing every single morsel on my plate.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:31 PM   #3  
Allie

S/C/G: 225/210/135

Height: 5'5''

I just tell people. I work almost exclusively with Latinos who are always bringing in tamales (my weakness!), yummy desserts, horchata, and just general food that I can't eat. At first I would just tell them that I wasn't hungry to avoid eating it (as I am very rarely in a work situation where there are SB friendly alternatives), but then a bunch of my coworkers thought I was just being rude. I explained to them my diet and they are much more supportive now and don't press carrot cake in my face. :P

If you don't want to tell people, try not to eat in the office. During my lunch break, I walk a few blocks away to a park so I can eat my salads and such in peace, then walk around the park until my lunch break is out so I kill 2 birds with one stone- avoid being asked out to the Nepalese buffet (which is too yummy for me to allow myself to go in) and get in an extra 15-20 minutes of exercise. That's sort of anti-social though so leaving may not work for you.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:10 PM   #4  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

I like Char's suggestion. Unfortunately, I work at home and my kids don't care what I eat. Just wanted to offer you support and give you what will power I have left over!

Kara
Old 06-21-2007, 11:35 PM   #5  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Pick up the pizza for them and let THEM have it! If you bring your own healthy lunch, there's no need to explain away why you aren't eating their food, as you'll have your own.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I started fibbing a little and was telling people I had to watch what I eat because my glucose levels were wonky.

Which in reality it is...I mean when I eat sugar or bad foods I get hungry really quickly afterwards because of all the insulin released right? so it is glucose problem...it's not my problem people assume I'm diabetic.

When people think it's a medical condition they aren't as likely to push food on you, but when I say I'm on a diet they get into the "just try a bite", "a little bit won't hurt" band wagon.

Offices are such a bad place to change eating habits. Others don't want to see you change-like crabs in a barrel if one starts to get out the others reach up and pull it down.

So not fair.

Sarah
Old 06-22-2007, 03:46 PM   #7  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulBliss View Post
Pick up the pizza for them and let THEM have it! If you bring your own healthy lunch, there's no need to explain away why you aren't eating their food, as you'll have your own.
I agree.

i don't owe anyone an explanation of what i am eating or why

i always bring my lunch to work.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 147/144/120

Height: 5'4

Sarahyu,

I do the same thing at work, citing concern about my "blood sugar." I was helped by changing jobs two months ago, so these people are NOT familiar with my old habits of eating well for a week and then inhaling everything in sight for two or three weeks. That really helps! I also find I'm kept accountable by people thinking that I've got dietary restrictions. I mean, they've seen me turning down cookies and white bread for weeks now. It's not like I can just eat three cupcakes in a row without people becoming confused.

Based on my past experience: So much of my unwise workplace eating was based on a desire to escape boredom or avoid "rocking the boat." I mean who wants to be the stick in the mud who turns down the celebratory subpar Sam's Club sheet cake (for what is probably the ninth office birthday that month!)? Unfortunately, given the super toxic food environment in most offices, being that stick is absolutely necessary if we want to maintain a healthy body weight--at least for me. After all, I was the person who would take a small piece of the cake and then come back to the breakroom a couple of hours later and help herself to seconds and thirds. It's easier for me to avoid it completely.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:04 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Last Friday on my way home, I stopped by the office to deliver something. There were several people in the breakroom finishing off a chocolate cake. The offered me a piece, I said "no thank you, I need to watch what I eat. The weight's creeping up" So, they started offering me other things-candy bars and a bag of popcorn! As alternatives to the cake. Please, no thanks.

I was very good for the last 2 weeks in not visiting the break room. They have too many goodies and I have too little self control.

We have an activity that happens ever week or so and a person brings in a package of nutter butters for us to get through it. And for the last 2 weeks I've not had any nutter butters. Yeah! That's a big improvement for me because I usually eat a handful or so during the day.

Sarah
Old 06-25-2007, 12:06 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 238/Tick/185

Height: 5' 8"

Great job, SARAH!!!!
Closed Thread