South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 09:38 AM   #1  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Default How do you stay motivated?

Being in it for the long haul, I mean. I have discovered that I'm not a patient person. I always thought I was, but I am realizing that I thrive on little rewards. My goal seems far away to me. Maybe I need to set a smaller goal so I can see myself reaching it faster? I'm not getting bored with my meal plans...still trying new things so it should be interesting...good tastes...I like what I'm eating. I think I'm still in the "diet" mind set, just waiting for it to "be over" so I can "eat normally" again. Maybe I need to look at some of my old recipes and adjust them to make them Beach friendly so I feel like I'm eating "regular" again instead of all this new stuff? Maybe too much creativity? I don't know. I feel like I'm slipping because I'm just not seeing much of a change.

Share your motivators!

Kara
Old 06-21-2007, 10:04 AM   #2  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

My motivation is wanting to be me again...and I want it bad enough that nothing will get in my way to get it!
I also want some really nice new cool clothes. I'm getting older..all of a sudden I woke up and I was 51 and it scared the **** out of me that my kids are grown and I'm an old fat lady. yuk. I want my kids to be proud of me and I want to look good again along with not wanting to get fat related diseases family members died from...that really keeps me motivated...that along my husband loving me turning into me again!
Old 06-23-2007, 08:55 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Kara,
I think you definitely have to put yourself in the mindset of this not being a diet. For me, it's a re-education. Mainly what's keeping my motivation going is that I'm stubborn. I'm used to taking on long and difficult tasks - it's what I do at work. I break it down into smaller tasks and set milestones and a strategy to reach them. I even calculated out how long it will take me to reach my goal at 2 lbs a week, and how many calories a day I need to eat and burn to get there - it's the engineer in me - all of life is a mathematical equation! HOWEVER, I've only been on SBD for 4 weeks. So far I haven't had any motivation problems, which has really surprised me. Especially since I'm not losing as quickly as I expected. So far that hasn't bothered me too much, it just means I haven't taken all the variables into account in my equation. I'll figure it out eventually. As for looks, new clothes, etc. I haven't found that to be much of a motivation so far, it's just too far off to seem real to me yet - maybe once I really start seeing some progress...
I think what you said about getting back to "normal" is important too. I've started pulling out all my usual recipes, to see if they can be made SB friendly, or if I'm just going to have to file them away permanently.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:14 PM   #4  
Banishing the Belly

S/C/G: 180/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Ooh, Kara, you have put words to my struggle: the "diet mindset"! I keep finding myself wanting this to be over so I can spend less attention on food. And I am also losing much more slowly than I had planned. Even though I had set out to only lose 5 lbs a month so that I could embrace this as a lifestyle change instead of a diet, I am impatient too. When I get on the scale and see no changes, I get frustrated. You're making me realize that I want instant evolution as well, oxymoron though it may be, and it is so necessary to focus on staying motivated.

Schmoodle, I'm glad I'm not the only one to have done the calculations and expected this wonderful linear result every time I've dieted. And I never get it! Why I do it time and again, I don't know, but I always do. Even though I know there are so many unseen physiological variables...

I think what is keeping me motivated right now is this blessed freedom from cravings. I still have small ones every now and then but it isn't this carb-fueled frenzy that I used to suffer on a daily basis. Yesterday, I overindulged with nuts because I was exhausted, frustrated, and facing another long workday. I ate an extra 400 calories' worth. But you know what? I don't hate myself today because it wasn't pizza, candy, ice cream AND nuts like it would have been in the past.

So I guess the small victories are the way to go, Kara, for both of us. Have you thought about setting 5 lb. goals and buying yourself a gift each time?

L
Old 06-25-2007, 03:44 AM   #5  

Thanks Kara for your post I know we all need to hear that and we all can relate to just feeling like you are hitting a wall. I agree with you all. I know for me since Phase 1 was so hard for me I think never going back to doing Phase 1 keeps me motivated Also its the little things my body feels better and I have more energy. My minds still a little cloudy that is why I finally added grains back but this too shall pass. I don't see the scale moving much either but I do feel a difference in my clothes. Also I try to reward myself with non food related things such as a goal of fitting into that special dress a nice message or pedicure something like that. Hope this helps...
Old 06-25-2007, 05:47 AM   #6  

I'm motivated by the fact that I'm having my second child, and I don;t want my weight to lead to a second section. The section I had with my daughter was possibly the most terrifying thing I've ever had to do, and I don;t want it to happen again. My weight may have been a factor last time, so it has to go. Plus I want to run around with my daughter, and part of the SBD for me (having lost 28 lbs last time round) is feeling a lot healthier.

And on a purely shallow level, we're planning on moving to FL next year, and I'm not getting my kit off on the beach next to thin women. Not happening!

My treats, odd as it sounds, are when OH turns round and says 'Your ar*e isn;t as big as it was last week'. He means well, but hasn't got the hang of diplomacy. But it still makes me feel good.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:17 AM   #7  
Visualizing the Goal

Tom told me this weekend that he has nothing left to pinch on my waist, which is a lie, but still made me feel good.

Kara
Closed Thread