South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 09:25 PM   #1  
Banishing the Belly

S/C/G: 180/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Question SB brand breakfast bars & Nessa's Bars

Anyone reading my posts probably knows I'm dying to get to the Phase II breakfasts when I move into that phase on Wednesday. Cooking breakfast every day has not exactly been my favorite part of Phase I and I'm sure I won't like it much on Phase II either.

I found the South Beach brand breakfast bars at the store today when I was shopping and I picked up the cinnamon raisin variety. The box says they're okay for Phase 2 and Phase 3. But I'm so afraid of awakening the sugar-monkey and having it jump back on my back, that I'm almost afraid to try them. Does anyone have any experience with these? Are they sweet? If they are, is it better to have one for dessert at night instead of breakfast?

Thanks,
L
Old 06-16-2007, 10:15 PM   #2  
Yes, I can! Yes, I am!

S/C/G: 182/152/125

Height: 5'2.5"

I've eaten them for awhile now and I don't think that they will awaken the beast...believe me, it probably won't take much for me either! I don't think, personally, that they are sweet tasting enough to make you go on to bad sugars. The texture and what not are different too. But like you, I'm not a big fan of cooking breakfast and these, after you get a little used to the tast/texture, are great for on the go mornings. I pack them in my car for lunches when I know that I'll be in a bad situation, like lunch with clients, and that way I'm not tempted to eat bad when they do. They actually taste better after they get a little warm in the car I'd def. recommend them!
Old 06-16-2007, 11:18 PM   #3  
Keeper of the Cheerios

S/C/G: 218/209/170

Height: 5'4

I've had the pizza and will never buy it again. I think an eggplant lasagna did more to curb my pizza craving than the frozen one did.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:23 PM   #4  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

wouldn't touch them if you paid me.

sorry Dr. A sold out to kraft and those are just renamed Carb-Well bars that were NOT allowed prior to the deal with kraft

if you all like I posted an oatmeal bar recipe in the food area that makes great breakfast bars...
Old 06-17-2007, 09:46 AM   #5  
Banishing the Belly

S/C/G: 180/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Thanks ladies, for the responses posted so far. Since I have the box already, I will try warming one of the bars so that I can see how it tastes.

But you know, Nessa, I was a little skeptical of the ingredients when I saw "sugar" so close to the top of the list. I naturally assumed they were okay because they carried the SBD name; I didn't know Dr. A sold it off. I've already copied your oatmeal bar recipe but I wanted to calculate calories and get the right size pan before I made them.

And as far as pizza, I made myself a crustless pizza a couple of weeks ago that was wonderful. I laid flat strips of par-boiled zucchini in the bottom of a small (maybe 7-8 inch) round glass baking skillet I have, then put sauteed vegs, no-sugar sauce, italian sausage and cheese on top. After baking it for about 20 minutes and letting it cool, I ate it with a fork and it tasted just like pizza. I will stick with that, or just eat the tops off pizza without the crust if i'm out with friends.

thanks again ladies!
Old 06-17-2007, 09:52 AM   #6  
ONEderland here I come!

i have no idea about the calories cause i don't count them and i also often add and change things in the bars they are infinately changable

as for pan size.... you can bake them as cookies... or in any size pan...

originally it was 1/3 the size and made as a 'big breakfast cookie"
Old 06-18-2007, 01:03 AM   #7  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

What's your favorite combination that you've tried, Nessa? And have you tried anything that didn't work?

I think I'm going to give these a go, so just looking for advice.

Kara
Old 06-18-2007, 05:58 AM   #8  
ONEderland here I come!

i prefer mashed ripe bananas and i love cut up dried fruit like apricots or apples...

i haven't made them in a while....
Old 06-18-2007, 07:43 AM   #9  
Visualizing the Goal

Thanks! I'll report back.

Kara
Old 06-18-2007, 08:44 AM   #10  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

I got some organic whole grain frozen waffles when I need something quick for breakfast. I spray them with a little smart balance and use no sugar syrup and they really are pretty good..a little fruit on the side and some v8 and it really stuffs me...and hasn't set off any cravings..and tastes a lot better than nasty old breakfast bars (I've never liked any kind of breakfast bar...they taste like cardboard to me)
Old 06-18-2007, 10:11 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 147/130/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liannie View Post
I've already copied your oatmeal bar recipe but I wanted to calculate calories and get the right size pan before I made them.
We make the oatmeal bars a lot! We usually use a 9x13 pan and make 18 bars, each bar is about 100 calories...that is with the basic recipe and we usually use the unsweetened applesauce. I usually put them in the microwave for 30 seconds and add a tablespoon of natural peanut butter to the top and have a glass of milk with it.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:43 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

I've been wanting to try the oatmeal bars too, but haven't gotten to it yet. I also was just watching Alton Brown and he made some protein bars with peanut butter and silken tofu and other stuff that could be totally SBD friendly. His granola bars looked good too, but I don't know how you could get them to stick together without the sugar syrup. And he made Rice Krispie Treats with puffed brown rice, but I guess you totally need the marshmallows. Sigh...
Old 06-18-2007, 07:50 PM   #13  
ONEderland here I come!

schmoodle puffed RICE is very high on the GI index... it's a no-no (even puffed brown rice)

btw I heart Alton Brown.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:59 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Thanks again Nessa for keeping me from going down the wrong path! Of course I knew in my heart that RK treats weren't going to fly. I'll just dream...
Old 06-18-2007, 09:13 PM   #15  
Visualizing the Goal

Sometimes it's worth a try.

And yes, I concur. Alton Brown rocks.

Kara
Closed Thread