South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 09:42 AM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default Spring 2007 Gardening

It's supposed to be spring so let's get started either doing or dreaming. What's happening in your garden? Brags, comments and questions welcome here.

Me? I have just crocus and snowdrops bloomage and plus tulips and daffies up but not budded.

A week ago I was saying things were ahead but I jumped the gun. I just checked last year's garden log and found "Wet and cold with a bit of snow until the 9th" which is exactly what the forecast states!

What a fickle old broad Mother Nature can be! I think she's in bed with Jack Frost.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:27 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 155/141/138

Height: 5'7"

The crocuses and daffodils are up and blooming - I have cut some daffodils to bring inside as they are such a cheery flower! Granted the ones outside are under a couple of inches of snow right now - I hope the rest will bloom if the snow melts.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:09 AM   #3  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I put in a veggie garden this yr. for the first time. My potatoes, peas, green beans, squash, corn, onions and bell peppers are all planted. Now it's turned cold again and I had to cover some of my plants. It is very exciting to see that my veggies have little stems showing through the ground now.

I also planted 9 hedges along the front of my house and have bought a bunch of marigolds to plant in my flower beds.

Also am going to plant strawberries, blackberries and raspberries. Will plant okra, cantaloupe and watermelon when it gets warmer.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

We've put off planting our vegetable garden until we get into the new house. It just didn't seem worth it to plant here and then have to leave it all behind and then transplant later.

Our veggie garden has doubled in size from last year to 200 sq feet and I'm also putting in a raised bed herb garden. (We don't ever get fresh herbs at the grocery store.)

There are existing rose bushes at the house we're hoping to get, but I honestly believe I'll be pulling those out next year so that I can plant some native flowering plants. I'm not sure what yet, that's still in the research phase!
Old 04-06-2007, 12:37 PM   #5  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

I have one crocuses that has bloomed but that is it so far. Friends of ours are thinking about putting in a community veggie garden, I believe we will be getting in on the one.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:47 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

My crocus are finished blooming, but I have plenty of daffodils, grape hyacinths and primrose putting on quite a show.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:05 PM   #7  
Stinger

S/C/G: 0/0/0

Height: 5'5

My daffodils and hyacinths came into a beautiful bloom than Jack Frost hit them and they fell over
Old 04-07-2007, 10:35 PM   #8  

Height: 5'7.5"

Default hi garden chicks...i've been at it abit..mostly buying them

we have tulips,and daff's out..and the tree's are budding nice..we have lots of japanese maples..the first nice day..(yesterday) i couldn't contain myself and went out and bought red gerainiums and purple lobiela for my kitchen window flower boxes..love true red,and purple..will add some white bacopa when it's needed..love a mix of upright,and trailing..Today is cold and rainy..that was it..one nice day and it's back to nw rain..but I still love the temp..not too hot,or cold (60o or so) ...our roses are all budding out too, we have about 40bushes,and several climmers over trellis's. i love the spring..RENEWAL! REBIRTH! JUST LIKE US ;O) choices~
Old 04-10-2007, 10:21 AM   #9  
Come on Spring!

I love Japanese maples but we are just at the edge of the hardiness range. I try more tender plants but am frequently disappointed. My holly,for example, is half dead and will need to be cut back drastically.

At the moment, my gardening must be indoors. I am really enjoying my orchid plant which I bought for the wedding I did back in March. It looks just gorgeous in my diningroom in front of the (dirty) window.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:45 AM   #10  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

I was just out cleaning out my blackberry bushes, they grow wild. I am thinking about adding some strawberry plants in the same area.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:04 PM   #11  
Come on Spring!

What kind of blackberries, Little Chick? I have some "Black Caps" that just want to take over my raspberry patch. I think they have a non-suckering kind which might work.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:28 PM   #12  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
What a fickle old broad Mother Nature can be! I think she's in bed with Jack Frost.
You're not kidding, Ruth! We had SNOW on EASTER...snow on the ground!!! Yikes!!! Your orchid is gorgeous, hon! I spent a fortune on one and killed it in two weeks. Guess my green thumb does not extend to orchids!!!

I found a snowdrop in the corner of my lawn yesterday. Didn't even know we had any! Our crocuses have been up and gone. The tulips are poking their heads up. We have no daffies as the darned squirrels at all 50 I planted. But others have them up in their yard. We have buds on the dafs, but not on the tulips, and nothing's opened. The trees with the yellow balls on them are blooming and the weeping willows are 'greening' (my word...not sure what to call it!). Robins everywhere...Spring is here! The Scilla are up here and there, and I'm hoping I'll be in time to see one of my favorite houses. It's a yellow farmhouse set far back from the road with an entire yard of scilla...looks like a carpet of blue against the pale yellow house...SO gorgeous!!!

I've got my morning glory and sweetpea seeds started and have several seedlings reaching toward the sun. I have our seeds for our garden ready to go, but wasn't able to find seeds for the haricots verts we planted last year (bush bean 'Opera')...the seed store was out of them. Have to figure out if it's worth the shipping to buy them somewhere else...

This year we're skipping cucumbers and radishes, adding back in the pumpkins (we missed them!) and are going to try two winter crops of broccoli and cabbage. We're doing the same herbs, tomatoes, mesclun mix, green beans, zucchini, and bell peppers as last year, and are going to add three raspberry bushes and one tiny blueberry bush (that will be in a pot). I'm excited!

Kimstar, our house came with two rows of miniature pink roses in the front. After two years of fussing with them, we tore 'em out and planted them around the back garden, here and there, and then put in a new walkway. Surprisingly, most of them made it! You might try transplanting them...or giving them to friends.

Choices, I agree about the renewal and rebirth. Have you ever heard Nichole Nordeman's song about the seasons? It's wonderful. : I can post the lyrics if no one's heard it. I love lobelia and hardly anyone uses it around here. My mom always had sweet alyssum and lobelia in her garden. Such wonderful plants.

What's doing in your garden?
Old 04-11-2007, 07:41 AM   #13  
Come on Spring!

I was just outside and the earth is frozen solid once again! I wondered why the Girls didn't come in with muddy paws! Snow predicted tomorrow and into the weekend.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:04 PM   #14  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Alright, Beach Gardeners, what's going on in your garden???
Old 05-10-2007, 03:02 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Hey, Beachgal, I was just thinking about reviving this thread earlier today, thanks!
I usually wait until after the 15th to plant annuals, but I'm eager to get started! The garden centers are overflowing with some tempting flowers that are begging me to take them home. We just expanded our bed out front, and are filling it in with perrenials. Since our house has red trim and shutters, I want to keep the same color theme in the garden. So far we put in several red azaleas and yellow Stella d'Oro lillies, and I'm not sure if I want to add a bit of blue or white to the color scheme. I'll need something that blooms throughout the summer to add color. Any ideas?
Closed Thread