* Exported from MasterCook *

Sweet Potato-Mango Soup - 2 Points

Recipe By :Gabe Mirkin and Barry Fox
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Soups

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 medium sweet potatoes -- scrubbed or peeled and cut into chunks
1 large mangoes -- or 2 small (peeled and cut into chunks)
1 onion -- chopped
1 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root
6 cups bouillon
2 teaspoons mild curry powder
pinch of cayenne -- or to taste
chopped cilantro -- for garnish (optional)

1. Combine all ingredients except cilantro in a large pot. Bring to boil,
reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 30 to 40 minutes or until sweet
potatoes are very tender. Using a hand blender or a blender, purée until
smooth. Adjust seasonings and enjoy. Can be frozen. Serves 4 to 6.

Beverle's Note: You can substitute pumpkin for the sweet potatoes or 1/2
and 1/2. It is all good and good for you.

Serving size (1/4 recipe)
According to the cookbook:
Per serving: 149 Calories, 1g Fat, 4g Fiber
Weight Watcher Points: 2

Source:
"20/30 Fat & Fiber Diet Plan"
Yield:
"4 servings"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Submitted by Beverle ([email protected]) on 7/31/99 to the
Healthy Exchanges Website. MC formatted by Pamela S. on 8/2/99.
Shared by Pamela S. on /8/3199 to the W. W. Forum.
Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Kelly_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-1999, 07:57 AM   #2  

This is from Betty Crocker casserole mag.

1 pound beef boneless round steak
1pound red potatoes cut into 1/4 inch. slices
2 medium stalks celery, chopped (1 cup)
2 medium carrots, chopped (1 cup)
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper ( This made it a bit spicy)
4 cans (14.5 ounces each) ready to serve beef broth
1 jar (6 ounces) sliced mushrooms-undrained 1/2 cup water
1/2 flour

1. Trim fat off beef, cut beef into 1x1/4 inch pieces. Mix beef with remaining ingredients except water and flour in 5 qt crock-pot slow cooker.

2. Cover and cook on low setting for 8-9 hours or until beef and vegetables are tender.

3. Mix water and flour. Gradually stir in flour mixture into soup until blended. Cover and cook 30 minutes longer on high setting until lightly thickened.

9 servings

150 calories
2g fat
2g fiber
DIVABEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2000, 10:48 PM   #3  

Curried sweet potato and lime soup:

Large red onion
Two large sweet potatoes
Red bell pepper and green bell pepper
4-5 C. Vegetable broth or water
1/4 C. dry white wine
1 T. hot curry powder (more or less, according to taste), salt and fresh milled pepper
Nonfat sour cream
Juice of two limes

Saute a large red onion in dry white wine until tender. Add two large diced sweet potatoes, one diced red bell pepper and one diced green bell pepper and about four or five cups of water or vegetable broth. Add the curry powder, salt and some pepper. Cover and cook over medium flame for about half an hour until all the vegetables are soft. Remove from the heat and transfer bit by bit to a blender -- puree until smooth, adding extra water if necessary to reach soup consistency -- and return the smooth mixture to the soup pot over medium flame. Add juice of two limes, several spoonsful of nonfat sour cream (I used about a fourth of a pint), and more black pepper. Heat through, mixing the sour cream well, then serve with another dollop of sour cream and pepper. Cilantro would also be good, I'll bet.

I got about 8 cups from this last night, but I guess it depends on the size of the sweet potatoes. I am counting this at 2 points per cup. There is no fat at all.

Kari_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2000, 12:42 AM   #4  

Potato Soup
(serves 6)

Ingredients:
4 cups potatoes- thinly sliced
1 med. onion- diced
3 Tbsp. butter
1 1/2 cups potato water
1 1/2 cups evap. skim milk
1 tsp. salt
4 tsp. minced parsley(optional)
chopped chives (optional

Peel, wash and slice potatoes and add onions and just enough water to cover. Cook covered for 15 minutes. Drain but reserve 1 1/2 cups of the potato water. Mash potatoes (without adding anything to them). Then add butter, milk, water and salt. Return to heat. If desired,you can top with chives or parsley.

When I made this, I did not use the butter and I used fat free evap. milk but I didn't take the time to rerun the points.
edhodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2000, 10:52 AM   #5  
Net browser

Hi Everybody: I got this recipe from my friend Trudy and made it today for dinner and it's very good. What I do is when I buy a lb of bacon I micro 6 slices at a time in the microwave, drain on paper towels, cool, and place 4 slices at a time into freezer bags, and freeze. When I need bacon, I simply take a baggie out of the freezer and heat the strips up in the microwave. Ok~~~~here's the recipe:
Corn Potatoe Soup
4 slices of bacon chopped
1/2 cup each chopped onions and celery
3 med. potatoes, peeled and diced
1 can of chicken broth plus 1 can of water
1 1/2 cups of corn kernels
1 1/2 cups of cream style corn (I left this out because I didn't have any in the house)
Salt & pepper
1/2 cup milk (I used 1% but you could use evaporated)

In a large heavy saucepan over med heat cook bacon or (put in your already cooked choppped bacon)cook for a min then add onions and celery, cook approx. 5 min. Add potatoes and chicken broth & water, cover and simmer stirring occasionally till potatoes are softened, about 5 min. Stir in the corn, and simmer another 10 min or so. Stir in milk to give desired thickness, add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with chopped green onion if you wish. Recipe says serves 6. I think it makes 4 large servings. I worked the points out to approx 18 for the whole pot. So if you had 4 servings it would be 4.5 points per serving.

[This message has been edited by slavika (edited 11-07-2000).]
slavika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2000, 10:33 PM   #6  

This soup is delishous also if you take 1 whole head of garlic wrap well in foil and bake at 350 until soft about 1-1/2 hrs. then squeeze out softend garlic into soup,now you have roasted garlic and potato soup,it is delishous and not garlicky at all but flavors the soup so well,we make it this way as I work in a restaurant and it's a big seller.Happy Holidays to all.

------------------
DON'T DIG YOUR GRAVE WITH YOUR OWN FORK
SALLY40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 01:34 AM   #7  

Potato Soup

1 onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 pinch dried parsley
1 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup potato flakes

Spray the cooking spray into a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and sauté for 10 minutes, or until onion is tender. Add the broth and potatoes and stir well. Now stir in the parsley, garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the milk and continue to simmer for 10 minutes. Finally, stir in the potato flakes and allow to heat through.

5 Servings - 2.5 points per serving

NOTE: I like to use fresh garlic and parsley instead of the dried stuff. I also like to garnish each bowl with a little bit of finely grated cheese, a tiny bit of bacon bits and fresh chopped green onion. It adds a little bit to the point value, but I find it is well worth it. Yum!

Enjoy!

Jo
Jo_Pointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 03:21 PM   #8  

Default Baked Potato Soup - 4 points

I love this recipe that I got from a WW forum years ago.....and it is sooo EASY!! Non-weight watchers love it too!

Baked Potato Soup - 4 points

2 large baking potatoes - about 1 1/2 lbs
1/3 cup all purpose flour
4 cups skim milk
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 ounces light processed cheese, cubed - like Velveeta Light
1/2 cup fat -free sour cream

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Bake potatoes at 400 degrees for 1 hour or until done; let cool slightly. Cut each potato in half lengthwise, scoop out pulp. Discard shells.

3. Place flour in a large saucepan. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Add potato pulp, pepper and salt; cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly, stirring frequently. Add cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream.

Makes 6 servings (serving size: 1-1/2 cups) 4 points/serving

Make-Ahead Tip. Bake potatoes a day or two in advance and remove pulp. Store pulp in an airtight container in refrigerator. With the baked potato pulp ready to go, this soup only takes a few minutes to prepare.

Note: If you prefer your potato "loaded", top this soup with sliced green onions and cooked, crumbled turkey bacon or bacon bits.

ENJOY!!!
Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 09:30 PM   #9  

Thumbs up Spicy Potato Soup Core/Flex

Spicy Potato Soup Collected From The Recipe Exchange at www.weight-watchers.com 6-8 Servings Ingredients: I Pound Ground Sirloin 4 C. Red Potatoes w/skin, cut into ½ in. cubes 1 Can Black Beans, drained & rinsed 1 Red Onion, chopped fine 2 (14-15 oz. each) Cans Tomato Sauce 4 C. Water 2 t. Salt 1 ½ t. Black Pepper 2 T. Chili Powder Directions: 1. Brown sirloin, drain and pat with paper towel to remove grease. 2. In a large stock pot add sirloin, potatoes, onion, and tomato sauce. 3. Stir in water, salt, pepper, and chili powder; bring to boil. 4. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour or until potatoes are tender and the soup has thickened. Serving Size: 1 ½ C. 4 Points per serving Nutritional Information: Calories: 198; Sodium: 295 mg; Cholesterol: 0; Carbohydrate: 38 gm; Protein: 11 gm; Fiber: 1 gm; Fat: 1 gm.
NailsRred is offline   Reply With Quote