Old 07-25-2006, 10:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/165/135

Height: 5'7"

Default Eating Out Help

In the safety of my own home, I do great with the Sonoma. But when I either go out to eat or go to social gathering with friends staying Sonoma is challenging. I get tired of eating salad every time. I've read what the book says about eating out but does anyone else have any advice? Thanks in advance.
MOMnMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:05 AM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMnMO
In the safety of my own home, I do great with the Sonoma. But when I either go out to eat or go to social gathering with friends staying Sonoma is challenging. I get tired of eating salad every time. I've read what the book says about eating out but does anyone else have any advice? Thanks in advance.
Well since I don't have the book, I might be repeating it, but here it goes

A good restaurant WANTS to please the customer, so if you don't see what you want ASK for it. Ask for veggie substuitions, ask how things are prepared, ask for sauces etc on the side.

Restaurant portions very often are 2-3 times what a servings actually is, so if you don't feel enough self control to leave half, immediately ask for a take home box when you get your order. put half in it before you even start eating.

Salsas are a great way to add flavors to meals without adding a lot of calories. Even if you aren't at a mexican place, most restaurants will have a jar of salsa someplace.

When eating italian, ask for whole wheat pasta. if they don't have it, Chicken Marsala is a good choice. Again, ask how things are prepared. If something comes with a cream sauce, ask for it on the side and dip your fork times into it, get a bitte of meat to help control your intake.

Mexican... the chips are the Anti Christ so keep them on the opposite side of the table or ask they be taken away if you cannot control yourself Eventually you will be fine with eating 2-3 chips and not feeling deprived, but if you aren't there yet. don't temp fate! Grilled chicken and fish are good choice, lots of salsa. Ask for cheese to be left off. Fajitas with ww tortillas are good too.

The main thing is to look at the menu, break down the item into its componants. Are most Sonoma friedly? Can you make substitutions to make it more Sonoma friendly? I never eat salad when I am out because that would be boring as HECK!!!
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:26 AM   #3  

Hey Momnmo - I usually do salads or wraps, but grilled fish or chicken, a salad - dressing on the side and most people have a vingerette and.or lf dressings these days and steamed veggies are always alternatives. More and more places are getting wg items and are getting easier to make good choices. Good luch!!!
over52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:51 AM   #4  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Just peeking in. Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaT
A good restaurant WANTS to please the customer, so if you don't see what you want ASK for it.
I think this is very important.. not just to get what you want how you want it for that meal but as a voice to let restaurants know what customers in general are asking for.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote