Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 10:31 AM   #1  

Default July 1 - July 9 Food Thread

Morning Ladies.

Here is the first food thread for July. I made it for a little over a week since the previous thread ended yesterday. I figure we can start a new one every Monday morning. So whomever arrives here first on Mondays, please start a food thread for the week!! So the next one would be July 10- July 16.

Okay so here we go!!

I am starting off my day with an iced mocha and some veggie filled oatmeal cottage cheese pancakes! Lunch will be late as I'll be getting my hair done from 11:30- 1:30 or so. Dinner - prolly a gardenburger and some leftover israeli salad ( jicama, tomatoes and cucumbers) Good stuff.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:27 PM   #2  

Thanks for starting the thread Linda! Good afternoon ,
My day has started off with almost my regular WG cereal,milk,coffee.Lunch is going to be leftover shrimp scampi w WG pasta,salad. The rest of the day is not planned yet,don't know if thats good are bad. But there isn't anything in the house which is not Sonoma friendly.

Tomorrow we go to my daughter's and I don't have to worry about the food,she eats very healthy Sonoma type food. So I'm lucky that way.Everyone enjoy the long week-end . Be safe in whatever you're planning to do.
Old 07-01-2006, 02:28 PM   #3  
just a few more...

S/C/G: 138/112.4/105

Height: 5'1"

hi! Let's see so far i had WW toast w/2 egg and then the day got away from me and lunch didn't happen til just now and I'm starving. Nothing in the house b/c I still haven't made my sonoma shop list/trip yet. Anyway I had a piece of ww bread with a slice of turkey bologna and cheese-I'm thinking the sonoma police shuld be here soon for the word bologna alone, lol...

I will do much better once my house is stocked. I did however turn down the bday pizza and cake when I picked my son up at a party, so a little yay for me...

so what's jicama taste like??
Old 07-01-2006, 02:40 PM   #4  
just a few more...

oh and get this, I get backfrom the gym and there are these 2 little sample goody bags on my porch. Each filled with packs of sugar free cookies-WHAT?!!! Surely delivered by the himself. Good thing that I don't really like sugar free things or any kind of fake sugar...
Old 07-02-2006, 05:42 AM   #5  
Angela

S/C/G: 191/163/140

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for the thread Linda T

Well, it's been a tough weekend so far! I've had some bumps - anyone ever heard of a digestive???? It's a british biscuit (aka cookie) that tastes alot like a graham cracker. The people staying with me developed quite an attachment to them and had them stashed all over the house. Thank the lord the houseguests left today and I sent all the digestives with them!!

I've been noticing posting a menu is really important for me especially during difficult times. I didn't post a few days and I found that I ended up eating some unfriendly Sonoma foods. I guess the menu posting just forces me to see ahead and keeps me from getting caught up in the impulsive moments in life. So, here's todays menu. This morning wasn't great, but guests are gone now so this afternoon looks better.

Brk - WG toast and fruit
Snk - 2 digestives
Lun - spicy shrimp salad
Snk - carrot stx
Dinner - tacos w/ ground turk and WW tortilla

I'm not sure on tomorrow yet as don't know exactly what my day looks like and need to go shopping. Will be sure to post beforehand though
Old 07-02-2006, 11:12 AM   #6  
just a few more...

digestives??? what a horrible name for a cookie, LOL I'm glad you got them out of your house, the mindless munching gets us all at times.

Last night the had parents night out at our gym, 7pm-midnight!! So dh and I and another friend went to a bar and had a few cocktails and some really NON-sonoma food. Ok last hurrah out of my way. Today I shop and tomorrow kicks off day One
Old 07-02-2006, 12:02 PM   #7  

So far today, scrambled eggs and ww toast, coffee. I too have to go to the store and get the reat of the sanoma foods, as my book finally arrived yesterday!!!!

I blew it last night...A friend was in town and a group of us were out drinking until 3 am....not wine either. and I am still on wave 1, then someone suggested going to the Weiner Circle...a late night fast food place which I have never been to before. I ate a cheeseburger and I could cry. But today is a new day.

Digestives doesn't sound very delectible for a cookie name..but knowing me...I would eat it anyway.

Do any of you have a menu planned for the fourth?
Old 07-03-2006, 06:30 AM   #8  
Angela

S/C/G: 191/163/140

Height: 5'6"

Batmom - today is the official BIG DAY 1 - good luck to you !! It shouldn't be so bad since you've already been following some Sonoma principles...

Weeble - I think we have similar indulgences ....I love wine and going out with friends too. Why is it that on late nights out we so often find ourselves at fast-food and takeaway joints?? I've been alot better about it in the last year. I just try to remind myself that the majority of late night fast-food is really quite nasty especially when compared to so many other delicious treats out there. I come home and if I'm still dying for a snack I eat something from my own fridge, which I know can't be that bad otherwise it wouldn't be in my house!! I'll admit I don't do it all the time, but much more often then not. It really helps to keep your weight down in the long run. As for the drinks, I have yet to find a good answer to that! Just moderation I guess....

As for the digestives - the first time I had one is in Denmark and the girl who gave me one told me they were very healthy because they "keep the digestive track moving", hence the name "digestive". Of course I read the package and was surprised to see they do add whole wheat flour for extra fiber. Still, the second ingredient is vegetable oil and they have plenty of sugar and fructose syrup- not exactly health food!

I'm leaving bright and early tomorrow for Barra so won't be posting til next weekend. Take care girls! Wish me luck ~ no gain!!!

Today:
Brk - 2 veg saus, PB toast
Snk - green pepper slices
Lun - shrimp sal
Snk - skinny latte
Din - not sure yet.....??
Old 07-03-2006, 02:56 PM   #9  
just a few more...

thanks wish!!

yes today is day 1 and so far so good except the timely eating thing. And can you believe that I still have not gone grocery shopping? I think I bought a minivan todya though, lol

anywho...

B-2 scrambled eggs w/ WW toast
S-9 raw almonds
L-massive amounts of broccoli and a small dish of black beans w/sprinle of mozzarella on top
D-szechwan shrimp from the book
S-pepper strips

and I'm working on my first diet coke. Then I'll switch to water...
Old 07-03-2006, 02:56 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 178/168/150

Default Hi everyone! Thanks for the new thread Lynda!

Well, yesterday was NOT good at all. Actually, I was nursing a hangover from a wedding we attended the night before... so I did bad things. Since this is the food thread, I will confess my sins.

B: two slices cold pizza and a chocolate doughnut
L: nothing but some chocolate candies
D: cheeseburger, cheetos and a side of applesaucse
D: Nachos w/the works (I had that at 9:30 at night)

I woke up this morning and said, "wow, that is actually how I used to eat ALL the time". It's no wonder I kept gaining weight instead of lossing it. Talk about UNhealthy eating. I was so far away from Sonoma, I must have been in Maine.

Today, I'm doing better already:
B: WG cereal
L: Shrimp w/broccoli and spinach
D: WG spaghetti ??? (Not sure yet)

It's amazing how proud you can feel about yourself when you eat better. Oh, and not to mention, when I stepped on the scale this morning, it was UP three pounds. I'm hoping that's just temporary, and it will go down later this week.

I see some of you had some bumps in your road too... but we are all still here, reminding us that we need to stay on track. I hope to get some exercise in too. It's been a while since I've done any.

Gaela, I'm patiently waiting (foot tapping) for that southwestern non-eggrole receipe. I love those things!

Good luck to all of us tomorrow... since I know several of us may be tempted by outdoor parties and bbq's while celebrating the fourth.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:51 PM   #11  
just a few more...

luv I'm so sorry totally spaced. They are so good but man an order has a whopping 800 calories and some ungodly # of fat grams

I'm not sure where to post it so I'll paste it here and then someone with more experience can tell me what category, probably outhgt to cut back on the cheese. Just put what you need

borrowed this recipe from Jackie on Allrecipes-altered a bit

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 skinless, boneless chicken breast half
2 tablespoons minced green onion
2 tablespoons minced red bell pepper
1/3 cup frozen corn kernels -skip this for phase 1
1/4 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
2 tablespoons diced jalapeno peppers
1/2 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/3 teaspoon salt
1 pinch ground cayenne pepper
3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Rub 1 tablespoon vegetable oil over chicken breast. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook chicken approximately 5 minutes per side, until meat is no longer pink and juices run clear. Remove from heat and set aside.
Heat remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in green onion and red pepper. Cook and stir 5 minutes, until tender.
Dice chicken and mix into the pan with onion and red pepper. Mix in corn, black beans, spinach, jalapeno peppers, parsley, cumin, chili powder, salt and cayenne pepper. Cook and stir 5 minutes, until well blended and tender. Remove from heat and stir in Monterey Jack cheese so that it melts.

then the recipe veers off into deep fry land so two choices make just the filling and serve as a side dish (that's what I did and it was plenty yummy) or try using WW tortillas and baking them...I'd say try 350 for 20 min,maybe spray with some oil

Cut the tops off a red pepper and deseeded, wrap it in foil and bake at 400 for 15 or so min.

I used a whole can of black beans, 10 oz pack of spinach, 1/2 pepper, 1/2 onion, garlic, 1/2 jalapeno, good amount of all the spices. Stirfryed it all up nice and hot then added whatever shredded cheese I had laying around.

Stuff the pepper with the filling and cook another 10 min or so. So good and super nutrish! The filling filled 2 good sized peppers with probably enough left for 2 more. I also used some of the leftovers heated up as a dip for my triscuit snack.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:58 AM   #12  

Batmomm,that recipe sounds yummy,thanks for posting it.
Lighthouse.........good for you for getting a grip. Its not easy by any means facing these bumps in the road. But as Angela said before, not matter how many times you have to try,just don't give up. We'll all get there.

Angela.........I have to keep posting everyday too! If I don't,even tho my house is Sonoma friendly I can still get into trouble somehow.Of course my daughter Linda sending home cookies for her Dad is a challenge which I seem to fail all the time.

My eating hasn't been too bad over this long week-end. Had those cookies and some wine. Biscotti dipped in wine is different.

Here is my menu for today
B...........WG waffle,PB,coffee
S...........blueberries
L............WG pasta,2 meatballs,broccoli,coffee
S............blueberries
D.............grilled portabella mushrooms w cheese LF
S............??????

Have a safe Holiday Now to the Gazelle
Old 07-04-2006, 06:55 PM   #13  
just a few more...

OMG yum!!! today was the first day since I started (yesterday ) that I've had time to sit and cook like I want to. The other days I did make sonoma friendly meals but they were basic and boring-

today I had

B-go lean crunch w/ff milk
L-giant salad with ham and balsamic/oil
S-pepper strips while at a 4th of july picnic-go me
D-from the book->the easy balsamic chicken on the grill-delish, sauteed broccoli, roasted peppers and goat cheese-tasty, and the toasted quinoa pilaf-another yum

DH could not stop raving about the dinner I made. I am totally stuffed and satisfied so much so that I actually feel guilty. I cannot wait to cook some more of the recipes.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:20 AM   #14  

I hope everyone survive yesterday's bbq or whatever you were doing.Did you all check out that site Linda was telling us about which is on Allrecipes.com
They have posted 67 Sonona recipes off the online site. I thank her for the info and it landed up on top under Sonoma on Line. You can join the site for free and she has it posted. I put a lot of the recipes into the recipe box for future menus.

I finally got the cookies out of the house via my mouth. If anything is around I will get into it. My daughter loves baking for her Dad,the problem being I can't keep away and why should he go without? What a dangerous statement Today I'm not sure what I'll be making because my dh is under the weather so I will grab something quick but Sonoma friendly.Its time to run to the store and re-supply. I did have whole wheat waffles for breakfast w coffee. I have a hard boiled egg for a snack this morning but thats as far as I can go with the menu today.

Have a wonderful day
Old 07-05-2006, 02:42 PM   #15  
just a few more...

ugh Sissy I can't have the cookies in the house either, at least now they're all gone right??

gonna try a new recipe tonight from the book and def gonna bookmark the link from Linda for next week.

B-multigrain waffle w/cup milk, coffee
L-leftover quinoa, broccoli stuff, balsamic chicken and side sald
S-almonds
D-schezuan shrimp
S-???
Closed Thread