Old 06-01-2006, 10:50 AM   #1  
Eat less, taste more

S/C/G: 179/166/128

Default June Exercise and Active Living!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...t=83248&page=2

I'm in a bit of a rush this morning so this post won't be as long as I'd like but I'll be back!

Just wondering if anyone might be up for a fitness challenge this month?? Maybe something with the jump rope or hula hoop since those seemed to be popular activities in our last thread? Maybe a walking challenge?? I'd love to hear some ideas about what everyone else may be interested in. I'll be thinking about it today...

My exercise plans for the month...oh it sounds really bad to say I haven't really thought about it doesn't it? There will definitely be a lot more active living since the yard needs a TON of work done! So I plan to get outside everyday...hopefully by the end of the month our yard will look like something out of a magazine!

As for actual planned exercise...I'm going to try and link some kind of exercise to everytime I eat. Whether its some push ups and sit ups or jump rope or a walk. Hopefully that will make me more conscious of the connection between eating and fitness and make me less likely to sabotage myself with "just one more".

Casey
Sapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 03:39 PM   #2  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

This morning I spent 2 hours and 1 minute on the treadmill for a total of 6.1 miles. I feel great! I wasn’t going to treat myself unless I actually made the challenge, but I couldn’t help it. I went out this afternoon and bought some nice new workout clothes and a few cute pj’s. Oh, and a few new movies to watch on the mill.

My June exercise goals:

1. MOST importantly to develop a weekly strength training plan. I’ve been hodge podging it so far. I’ll include the intensive yoga workouts in this plan.

2. To continue with yoga at home. A wake-up routine each morning (or a destresser in the evening if I miss the morning.)

3. To keep on the mill. A minimum of 15 miles per week.

4. To continue with the fun fun cardio. I’m already on the trampoline, jumping rope, & mill, maybe I’ll add in hula hoops and bike riding. Also perhaps more walks the park with my dog. He’ll like that. I think a fun challenge on the Mediterranean forum would also be a good idea to help with this.

5. Never ever for the month of June let 2 full days go by without a decent cardio workout. I might have the most difficulty with this one.. so I put it in writing.

So… what about my special treat at the end of June. Hmm..

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantastica
I find it much easier to work it in to my daily life, but I've managed to not do that lately.
Phantastica, this is exactly why I don’t really count my day to day activities as exercise (unless it has been something very strenuous like yard work… aka “functional fitness”). The workouts are my insurance against less active days.

Brb
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:21 PM   #3  
The Beauty of Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaHippo
Just wondering if anyone might be up for a fitness challenge this month??
I'm up for nearly anything um.. just not a walking challenge as I need something new. but biking, trampoline, hula, jump roping, all are good.

Casey I want a picture of that "something out of a magazine" yard!

Quote:
As for actual planned exercise...I'm going to try and link some kind of exercise to everytime I eat. Whether its some push ups and sit ups or jump rope or a walk. Hopefully that will make me more conscious of the connection between eating and fitness and make me less likely to sabotage myself with "just one more".
Exactly what do you mean? You mean exercise before a snack.. or right after eating something?

I'm in my workout clothes.. deciding whether or not to get on the mill one more time today.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:08 PM   #4  
Eat less, taste more

Quote:
Exactly what do you mean? You mean exercise before a snack.. or right after eating something?
Yup! That's exactly what I mean. Since I'm home all day its a possibility for me to do that. Whether its that I have to do some gardening before lunch or 10 mintues of jumprope before afternoon snack...

Reward ideas...my reward is going to be a haircut and maybe some highlights. I know this is a crazy reward since I should just just be getting my hair cut anyway but I tend not to. I love clothes as a reward...but you already just did that...Is there anything big you want like a trip or something? You could always start a savings jar towards that and put money in for goals met.

About the yard out a magazine...the photos are going to have to wait. I just got my flowers in the ground yesterday so some of them are in the range of 2 inches tall. I'm debating about making another bed along our walkway. I think my husband will say no way...I might just do it and not ask. Although I'm not sure how much more I want to spend on bedding out plants either. I still have a 3' x 20' area to fill as it is! I guess it will have to wait. Maybe if I give it a few more weeks all the bedding out plants will be on sale anyway!

Anyone know a good way or getting rid of dandelions and crab garss that doesn't involve chemicals? Our lawn is really atrocious but I hate to use chemicals...kids, dogs, cats, environment...for my own tastes I think dendelions are prettier than grass but we may be putting our house on the market soon and it seems not many other people share my tastes...

Okay...so challenge! Seems like a lot of us are struggling with working in the strength training...SO...the challenge is to work a small amount of strength training into your routine everyday...starting today June 4th. This is ON TOP OF any regular strength training you may have comitted to on your own. And it doesn't have to be anything big...maybe one morning you'll do some sit ups...one evening while peeling potatoes for supper you might do squats...right before bed you might squeeze in some push ups. No dogging it! Really work hard just for a few minutes at whatever you have decided to do and then post here so we are all accountable to each other. Lets see if at the end of the month we are a little stronger and used to adding in exercise just because it makes us feel good! What do you think? Anyone want to join me? The reward for completing the challenge and doing something EVERY day...well...bigger muscles of course! Not to mention a better metabolism!

Jayde you have inspired me to have some more *specific* goals for this month...so...

1)I will do my weight routine every second day.

2)I will do 20 mintues of cardio everyday. I think my elliptical trainer misses me anyway.

And now I must go because my children are downstairs and being very quite! Never a good sign...
Old 06-04-2006, 02:10 PM   #5  
Eat less, taste more

Okay...just did my extra strength exercises for the challenge! 23 push ups...girl style and thats ALL I can do! Must improve! And 20 of these kick things per leg that are actually for your butt...you start on your hands and knees and kick your leg up behind you keeping it bent...supposed to be better for your butt even than squats...Tomorrow I think I will do some abs and legs...
Old 06-05-2006, 11:42 AM   #6  
Eat less, taste more

Ohhhh...23 push ups makes my arms ache the next day!
Old 06-07-2006, 09:32 AM   #7  
The Beauty of Balance

Congrats on the push ups. I don't even attempt them! Now I prefer working on my plank and bringing myself to the floor slowly after plank. That is a killer.

Quote:
Anyone know a good way or getting rid of dandelions and crab garss that doesn't involve chemicals?
Nope I like dandilions.

At first I didn't understand the strength training challenge.. since I think strength training should be only a few times a week to give muscles a chance to rest. Then I realized that an attempt at something each day is exactly what I need. It doesn't have to be a full blown workout.. just something to keep me on my toes .. trying something new or something a bit challenging. So I am all for it.

I have house guests this week so I haven't had a lot of time to plan new things in my routines. But I am keeping up with my old routines. Just like I wouldn't skip taking a shower or eating or sleeping because of company, I am not skipping or shortening my workouts. But I am making a few accommodations.. like taking my jump rope with us when we go out and getting in more walking on our trips instead of the mill every day.

I'm alone this morning.. for the first time in many days. Finding a moment to breathe and think.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:24 PM   #8  
Eat less, taste more

I've been SOOOOO slack on our challenge lately...I had a good couple days with some crunches and squats and then I had to take my kids to my mom's and DH had surgery yesterday and I haven't done anything since! Which I know is no excuse since it would take all of five minutes to do *something*. I think its more mental exhaustion than it is truly not having the time.

Yeah with the challenge I don't mean for it to be a real strength work out everyday...just a little something to keep you thinking about your goals...and definitley switch things up day to day...abs, arms, butt, legs....get a rotation going! Post when you try something new so we can compare notes.

On an up note I got a new bellydance video in the mail today and I am very excited to give that a go!

Jayde I am very jealous that you have had a morning alone. On the one had I love having DH home right now but on the other hand its just another person who needs me and sometimes I don't want to be needed!

So thats two votes for dandelions so they get to stay! I was just thinking this morning how good they looked with the rain on them anyway. The crab grass I've just been pulling out by hand when it gets really obvious.

And now...speaking of being needed I have a husband and a son who both need me...
Old 06-10-2006, 10:30 PM   #9  
The Beauty of Balance

I've been working out each morning adding the exercise ball into my routine. I got several ideas on-line mostly from the Mayo Clinic. Today I bought a small book to give me more ideas. Something by Lisa Westlake.

I'm working out a strength training, stretching, meditation routine. Combining yoga, weights, pilates..all that good stuff. The exercise ball looks so easy when you see someone else do it. I'm still working on simple form. Push-ups with the ball are a new experience for me.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:37 PM   #10  
The Beauty of Balance

Today's extra was just sitting on the ball. It is hard. I did some leg lifts while sitting and then got brave enough to lift both legs. Balancing this way was fun. And hard. :0
Old 06-12-2006, 07:34 PM   #11  
Eat less, taste more

I can't imagine doing push ups on the ball...well actually I CAN imagine it and in my imagination it involves me ending up with a broken nose!

I know what you mean about it looking easy though...and fun...it always looks like fun til you are doing it! I love sitting on the ball too. I need to get a new pump though since my ball is deflating and I have no way to pump it back up.

If you like on the ball stuff there is a great on the ball work out in the June issue of Shape. I can't wait to try it since it looks like so much fun. There used to be this ad on TV with a girl standing on the ball...I think she was a snowboarder or something. Maybe you should give that a go...no, don't that sounds like broken bones for sure!

I have been very slack with my extras but I have been bellydancing everyday for the last three days...I just got a new video. Thats not really strength training though...

Maybe I'll have 10 mintues to squish something in after the kids are asleep.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:32 PM   #12  
The Beauty of Balance

Belly dancing is exercise! So you've been at it for 3 days! Good for you. I really should give it a try.

Casey, "Shape" is a magazine? I've never heard of it.

I use our air compressor to pump up the ball. I couldn't imagine using the pump it came with. Yikes.. I wonder what muscles in my arms would get that workout?!

Ok.. sitting on the ball is one thing.. standing on it.. you're trying to get me killed, aren't you

I've been slack with my regular cardio exercises these past three days. It is not the ball's fault.. it is my own. I'm going to get back into it tomorrow morning. If I haven't I'll come back with my head a hangin'... so I know I'll do it so I can keep my head up!

I wish I was at the point where I would continue with exercises every day just because.. but at this point guilt and shame in sharing here with you are what will get me going again. Whatever works for now I guess.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:13 PM   #13  
Eat less, taste more

Yeah you should try bellydancing! The new video I have is Gypsy Caravan and I really recommend it...they go over how to do the moves and then they do some dancing and you try to follow along and use the moves you just learned. Really fun.

Shape is a fitness magazine. I really like it. They often have success stories of people who have lost weight and lots of workout and eating ideas. I think I usually get mine at Mac's or 7-11...usually its lumped in with all the "girl" magazines.

I know what you mean about being at the point of want to exercise just because. I love that idea but I have a hard time seeing it happen right now. For now I'll have to make due with guilt...and the scale for motivation!
Old 06-13-2006, 05:57 PM   #14  
The Beauty of Balance

I'll look for the magazine, Shape. The belly dancing.. I just might go get a tape too. Gypsy Caravan.. got it written down.

So shame guilt or whatever that was got me on the mill. 3.1 miles and I feel great..

You know what I want to bottle... this feeling you get right after exercising.. I want to bottle a sample.. so you get a sample and then remember how good it feels and get off your butt to get the real thing... yah.. that's what i want to bottle.. this feeling and the "click" moment.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:23 PM   #15  
The Beauty of Balance

I've discovered the ball makes a great computer chair. Why didn't I think of this before.

Just sitting here rocking away.