Old 02-13-2006, 06:05 PM   #1  

Default Wave 1 - What to eat and not to eat?

I bought the book and have read all about Wave 1 but I have a few questions......
1. Can we have a peanut butter sandwich???
2. What about salad dressing? Can we use ranch, like Lite Done Right?
3. Is mayo, made with Canola oil, legal to use on your sandwich?
4. How many pieces of bread are we allowed to have a day?

I think that's all for now - you have all been VERY helpful
khaedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:11 PM   #2  

1. peanut butter sandwich.. yes. Whole grain bread and 2T of peanut butter.. no more - but not til wave 2.

2. light salad dressing are fine. Olive oil and vinegar is also fine

3. Yes canola oil mayo would be fine.

4. not such an easy answer. You can have one slice at breakfast if are having something like toast and egg. You cannot have both toast and cereal at same breakfast since you want 75% of the plate with protein (such as scrambled eggs) and 25% with whole grains. Lunch is protein and veggies.. no bread - not til Wave 2. Dinner - Keep ratios at 30% protein, 20% grains, and 50% Tier 1 vegetables, which could mean a serving of brown rice, bulgur wheat, a slice of whole grain bread.. but only one of those choices since you only want 20% coming from grains.

keep the ratios in mind for each meal.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 270/222/170

I just started tier 1 after reading the book many times to make sure I've got it down (maybe)! I only wanted to mention that in Wave 1 you can switch the lunch and dinner portions, so essentially you have dinner at lunch and lunch at dinner. She says this is OK. So if bread was your only grain, you could have 2 slices per day - one with breakfast (if you chose the protein/grain plate not the 50/50 grain/milk bowl) and one with either lunch or dinner. Is this right? I'd hate to be doing it wrong from the start!
wildlifechic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:20 PM   #4  

According to the nutritionist on the Sonoma Diet website, you can have 1 slice of whole grain toast with 1-2 tbsp. peanut butter for breakfast in
wave 1.
lvegeais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:31 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvegeais
According to the nutritionist on the Sonoma Diet website, you can have 1 slice of whole grain toast with 1-2 tbsp. peanut butter for breakfast in
wave 1.
Yep you are right. I was thinking about a sandwich being two slices of bread.. duh me I guess you could fold it and make half a sandwich
Old 02-15-2006, 04:52 PM   #6  

Question

Hi LindaT, Thank you for welcoming me the other day (on one of the other posts.) I really like this website! Are you following the Sonoma diet also? Is there a special place to go to ask you questions? I was wondering about olives- can you tell me if they are allowed? Thanks
leelee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 05:10 PM   #7  

You can ask me right here. That's fine.

I lost my weight with the Med Diet, which is what this plan is based on so I am following the food plan but usuing my existing portion control mechanism.

Olives are fine, since olive oil is one of the mainstays of this plan. I don't have the book here at work, so I cannot tell you a specific portion that is recommended right now. I wouldn't think you can eat them like popcorn though since they do contain fat, good fats but still too much of anything isn't good for you.

Maybe someone with the book handy can check for a portion recommendation?
Old 02-15-2006, 06:36 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/185/123-125

Height: 5'1"

Yes, this board has been great - especially for people like me, who don't have the book yet, so are winging it until they can read it .

So from my understanding of breakfast (Wave 1 or 2) - one slice of whole grain bread with 1-2 tbsp PB is ok - does that meet the protein/grain requirement, or would I need to add more protein? Could I add a fruit to that?

I'm looking for a quick breakfast and I've been doing 2 slices of whole grain bread with 1 tbsp PB and an orange. Now I know this is too much bread and (possibly) not enough protein.

Tam
tammay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 06:37 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 164/ticker/130

Height: 5'5

Lightbulb

Hi. I had a piece of whole grain bread for breakfast and only spread 1 tablespoon of peanut butter and it was enough. It could have even had less. Hope this helps.
beaner0620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 06:53 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammay
Yes, this board has been great - especially for people like me, who don't have the book yet, so are winging it until they can read it .

So from my understanding of breakfast (Wave 1 or 2) - one slice of whole grain bread with 1-2 tbsp PB is ok - does that meet the protein/grain requirement, or would I need to add more protein? Could I add a fruit to that?

I'm looking for a quick breakfast and I've been doing 2 slices of whole grain bread with 1 tbsp PB and an orange. Now I know this is too much bread and (possibly) not enough protein.

Tam
Tam, keep in mind you don't have to eat breakfast food for breakfast. cold chicken is great, make yourself a roll up with cold chicken, a ww tortillas, stuff it with veggies.. experiement. Egg white omletes are great. I make my own version of a McMuffin with an egg white omlete cooked w veggies, in a ww english muffin with soy sausage.

No fruit on Wave 1.... I don't have the book here at work, but I think at least one meal a day you can have fruit on Wave 2 . It may be more..
Old 02-17-2006, 09:52 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/185/123-125

Height: 5'1"

Llinda, thanks for the advice - I'm actually a vegetarian, so cold chicken is out, but I see what you mean .

And sorry I forgot to mention - I started with Wave 2 because I already eliminated refined sugar and carbs from my diet a long time ago so I felt I didn't need the detox and I wanted the fruit. It's been working wonderfully so far.

Tam
tammay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 03:45 PM   #12  

Question

Hi Linda,
I have the book but I still can't find anything about the olives....would you consider them a fruit? I must be missing something
leelee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 04:43 PM   #13  

What about almond butter?
chocolate kiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 05:24 PM   #14  

Almond butter is fine. I am guessing this is peanut butter like stuff except made with almonds. 1T as a snack and 2T as main protein source.

Can't find anything about olives.. sorry. I know they are allowed, but I don't know how much. I'll have to see if we can find out from the Sonoma Dietitian. In the meantime, enjoy a few but no more than 5 or 6 at a time as a snack I would say.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:52 AM   #15  

Olives - are considered a fat on the Sonoma plan. 15 olives is considered to be about 1.5 teaspoons of olive oil.

Nine olives can be considered a quick meal on this plan, according to the Sonoma folks, but I personally wouldn't do that. Nine olives would NOT even begin to fill me up!!