Old 07-19-2009, 02:24 PM   #1  

Thumbs down Tips for Eating Out

My husband and I have found great success on the Sonoma Diet. The problem is we both have to travel from time to time in our jobs. I found it very challenging eating in restaurants. Many restaurants post nutritional information on the web, but most do not.

I was stunned to find out the grilled salmon and streamed broccoli at my favorite place was well over 700 calories. The problem is the broccoli was dipped in fat to make it look more appetizing. The salmon was a portion for 2 people and dipped in fat to make it look better too.

Please post dining ideas for national chains.
macleandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:27 PM   #2  

Ruby Tuesdays - 7 oz. Petit Top Sirlion with Streamed Broccoli (hold the butter sauce) and Mashed Cauliflower.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:29 PM   #3  

Height: 4'11"

1. Have a healthy snack and/or a glass of water before you leave the house so you aren't arriving at the restaurant starving.

2. Split an entree with someone.

3. Have an appetizer, or appetizer + salad as a meal instead of something heavy.

4. Drink lots of water at the restaurant and EAT SLOWLY!

5. Ask the waiter about what's on the menu, and get any sauces/dressings/etc. on the side.

6. Ask for a take-home box when your meal arrives, and promptly put half of your food inside for tomorrow's leftovers, instead of cleaning your plate.
littlelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:54 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/---/123

Height: 5'2"

Macleandl: I have the Sonoma Diet book, but haven't read it yet. I want to try it but there is very little support for the diet other than paying on the Sonoma site which I might have to do if traffic does not pick up here.

Regarding the broccoli or any veggie, you can ask that it be steamed without any oil or butter added.

Regarding meats, ask how it is prepared before you order and ask to have the oil or whatever else you want left off---off.
sewwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:31 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelion View Post
6. Ask for a take-home box when your meal arrives, and promptly put half of your food inside for tomorrow's leftovers, instead of cleaning your plate.
This is what I recommend, too. It works particularly well with pasta.

You could also ask for no bread with the meals.

Sewwrite, I also keep hoping this forum picks up. 3FC also has a Whole Foods forum, that might offer similar support.
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:25 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 186/---/123

Height: 5'2"

Thanks Hyacinth!

I didn't know about that forum. I will check it out.
sewwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:54 PM   #7  

If you purchased the Sonoma Diet book go to the website and give them your e-mail address. You will be put on their FREE newsletter. I have been getting it for years and never joined the online site.

The newsletter gives good tips and helps keep you motivated. They repeat over time. My guess is the loop is one year.

I would be more specific, but it was so long also I signed up. But it is worth a try.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:11 AM   #8  
Yay!

S/C/G: 252/seeticker/195

Height: 1,83/ 6

I tried your tips last night cause i had to go eat at red lobster for my gramma's birthday. I ordered wood-grilled shrimp and scallops with brocoli. I asked them about the fat to make it look good etc and they didnt do that.

Just to make sure I still used my napkin to remove any fat if there was any.
Your tips really helped me guys! I order 3 glass of water with lemon in it and drank them all. i didnt feel hungryat all for the rest of the evening!
Zofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:21 AM   #9  

Good job, Zofia!
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:45 AM   #10  
Yay!

S/C/G: 252/seeticker/195

Height: 1,83/ 6

Thankx!! you guys helped me a lot!!
Zofia is offline   Reply With Quote