Old 01-14-2009, 10:35 PM   #1  
Shooting for the moon

S/C/G: 210/151/140

Height: 5' 5.5"

Default Kale Chips

I just made this and I LOVE them. I am thinking it would be good to have in place of popcorn too.

I got this from here: https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?bl...31518019742291

and copied it word for word. -

So the idea is you get a bunch of kale - the curlier and purplier the better, in my opinion. Destem those suckers using the pinch-between-your-thumb-and-forefinger-and pull method, just because it's so satisfying, like knocking over dominoes or running your fingers over piano keys. Break up your kale a little bit more, but they don't have to be small pieces, they'll shrink in the oven. Preheat your oven to about 375. Toss your kale pieces with enough olive oil to coat, but not drench, each piece. Add in a little salt and pepper and some finely minced garlic and spread it all out onto a cookie sheet. You want your pieces to have their own space - no overlapping - for crunchiness sake. Bake in the oven until they turn into little melt in your mouth crisps (about 10-15mins). enjoy.
Thin4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:03 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/140/125

Height: 5'7"

I LOVE KALE CHIPS. I eat them all of the time. They are soooo good. I use olive oil spray (Crisco brand) and give them a light spray and a generous grind of sea salt and black pepper before I pop them in the oven. YUM YUM YUM. I highly recommend kale chips. You can use the same technique with other veggies to make chips. I have a mandolin that I use to thinly slice beets, parsnips, carrots, turnips, etc. and use the same technique to make other veggie chips. SO GOOD.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:03 AM   #3  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

This is intriguing, Thin! Aren't they bitter?
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:02 PM   #4  
ovo-lacto vegetarian

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'8"

i'm definitely going to have to try this! i like the terra brand snacks, so i'll have to try genesis' idea of doing other veggies!

thanks for the idea!
lentilbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:31 PM   #5  
Shooting for the moon

S/C/G: 210/151/140

Height: 5' 5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgal View Post
This is intriguing, Thin! Aren't they bitter?
A little bit. - Not overly so to me. I also added basil to mine so I'm not sure if that had any effect. then again, I do like the taste of kale. From what I read on that site, there are different varieties of kale. I don't know where to find the special ones- they only had one kind at Kroger but I am going to look around. My second batch was a little too done and they weren't as good, so definitely keep an eye on them if your oven is temperamental like mine!

I would like to try other veggies too, that is a great idea!
Thin4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:34 PM   #6  
ovo-lacto vegetarian

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'8"

so i tried these and my first instinct was to hate them but then i couldn't stop. but once i stopped i went back to not liking them. i couldn't even look at them and had to throw them away. (does that even make sense?) i can't wait to try this with other veggies!
lentilbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:19 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 200.8/200.8/165

Height: 5' 2"

I just attempted my first batch of kale chips this week... except I unknowingly bought turnip greens. (Yeah, not much of an adventurous eater - had never had either before so didn't know the difference.) Tasted OK, but a lot of work for what you got, I thought.

I've since been back to the grocery store and saw TRUE kale. I can see it would be a whole different experience with kale! Will definitely try it.

Very interested in the mandolin/making other veggie chips idea, as I also picked up a bag of terra chips this weekend and loooooved them. Thanks for bringing these suggestions to the forum for those of us coming late to the party!
MrsKJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:34 PM   #8  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Just to add to the kale chip recipe arsenal...

Based on recent discussion, I tried making kale chips in my dehydrator. I hope to never go back! They were perfect. I did them at ~135°F and they were good after ~6-8 hours but I forgot about the second batch and did them overnight and were still perfect. I think if I ever do them in the oven again I will do the lowest temperature possible (200°F?). Mine were always irregularly cooked when I did them in the oven @ 375°F (some still chewy while others were burned to a crisp).

So - for the first time, I tried them with a marinade/coating. I had some of the dressing from the OhSheGlows Weekend Glow Kale Salad in the freezer. I tossed a big bowl of kale with 2 Tablespoons of the dressing (gently, not squeezing/massaging it like you do for the salad) and popped it in the dehydrator. SO GOOD! Very lemony/garlicky with the savory flavors of tahini and nutritional yeast.
Here is the recipe for OhSheGlows Lightened Up Tahini-Lemon Dressing:

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup Tahini
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
  • 1/4 cup Nutritional yeast or a bit more, to taste
  • 2-4 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil, to taste [I think I used 3]
  • 1 tsp kosher salt + freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
  • 3 tbsp water, or as needed
Directions:
1. In a food processor, add all ingredients and process until smooth. Makes just under 1 cup.
---
Next, I will try re-creating a version that is sold commercially, with a spicy cashew coating. Something like this recipe. Will report back with results.

[BTW, just so it doesn't get lost, there is also a simple recipe for kale chips in this other 3fc Phase 1 snack thread...]
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #9  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Back with an update from my kale chip adventures.

I tossed a mixing bowl full of washed & dried kale (actually it is a bag of already chopped kale) with this: Cashew Queso from Post Punk Kitchen. Seems like it is still Phase 1-appropriate [ETA except technically for a little bit of arrowroot powder]

I used ~2 Tablespoons or so; I could have gone heavier for even more flavor. Into the dehydrator at ~135°F for probably only about 4 hours (I have found that if you are going to devour the entire batch immediately you don't have to dry it for as long... if you plan to store it, it should be completely dry).

All I have to say is YUM! Spicy from the jalepeņo and sweet from the bell pepper.

BTW, i froze the cashew queso and it appears to have survived just fine.

Last edited by EmmaD; 02-01-2012 at 07:14 PM.
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote