Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 09-07-2006, 05:25 PM   #1  

Question So New I Can't Navigate the Site!

Hi all! I am really looking forward to the support I hope I get from this site. I am a single mom, don't make a lot of money and have a lot of bills. I want to diet, but don't have a tremendous amount of money to go towards programs for special food. Any help ya'll could give would be great! I appreciate your reading this and wish you luck on your journies.

Last edited by birdie732111; 09-07-2006 at 05:26 PM. Reason: typo
birdie732111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 08:40 PM   #2  
it's always something

Hi birdie

I hope you'll have time to browse the forums, because we have a lot of members in your shoes that should be able to help out Speaking from personal experience as a single mom on a budget, Weight Watchers included a very affordable grocery bill, and the foods were just normal foods that my son could eat as well. WW does charge a fee, though, so if you attend the meetings, you'll have to pay approx $13 per week (may not be current rate). I've been following the Fat Smash diet lately and it includes a lot of brown rice and fresh vegetables. It's probably the most affordable diet I've ever been on. I buy my fruits and veggies at the farmers market, which is always cheaper. I've noticed a huge drop in my grocery bill since starting the Fat Smash diet.

Please look around, and I hope you'll find a spot here to call home
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:04 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Cook with dried beans! They're high protein, low calorie, and VERY high in fiber. When I had very little money to spare, I made a lot of beans and rice - cook soaked pinto beans all day in a slowcooker with some water or chicken broth, plus a ton of chili powder, spices, etc. Then serve over cooked brown rice. I am making a bean soup for dinner that is costing about 60-70 cents a serving, and it has 15 g of fiber and 21 grams of protein, plus tons of vitamins, for about 223 calories per giant serving.

For 4 servings:
-2 cups dried small white beans (some beans are higher cal than others. My package says 1/4 c dry is 70 calories...I use two servings here).
-1 large onion, sliced
-3 cloves garlic, minced
-1 tablespoon olive oil
-6 cups chicken broth or stock (homemade from a roasted chicken is super inexpensive).
-4 sprigs rosemary (look around your area! Its used a LOT for landscaping. Or, you can grow your own (costs 2.00 or so for a pot, and 1.50 or so for a plant, and you have rosemary for all of your cooking needs).
-3 bay leaves

Soak beans overnight in water to cover, drain.

In a stockpot, heat olive oil. Add sliced onions and garlic, cook over medium heat until onions soften (5 minutes or so). Stir fairly constantly so the garlic doesn't burn.

Pour in chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add drained beans, rosemary, and bay leaves. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until beans are tender, about 2 hours. Remove rosemary stems and bay leaves.

Remove about half of the bean mixture and puree in a food processor or blender, or just mash well with a fork. Return to the pot with remaining beans.

Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve. I usually serve with a salad, or if I am really low on protein that day, a salad with some chicken breast on top.

Also, if you're looking for farmers markets or other cheaper produce options (such as Community Supported Agriculture programs), check out www.localharvest.org. Prices in these places always seem to be less than at the grocery store, and it tastes better.

One more hint - boneless, skinless chicken breasts are very important in lots of diet plans. If you want to eat them but not pay for them, buy a family pack of bone-in breasts, then remove the skin and bones before you put them away. Save in freezer bags with a single dinner's worth of chicken - you can get these for 99 cents a pound, rather than the 4-5 for already boned chicken breasts, and boning them is easy once you learn how.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 02:52 PM   #4  

Height: 5'1"

I agree with the others. Eating healthy doesn't have to cost more. Just make some healthy changes in the things you buy. Whole wheat brad, skim milk, low fat mayo, add more fruit (bagged apples are cheaper) and frozen vegetables are cheaper and have just as much nutrition. And beans are very nutritious. I make a white beans soup like the one above that's great. And I make a bean salad that I love. It's a combination of 3 beans, black, garbanzo, pinto (or any 3 you like) add chopped onion, celery, frozen corn, and lite italian dressing.

Don't let the lack of money hold you back from doing something that you need to do.

My advice is to start measuring everything. You don't know how much a serving looks like untill you measure it out. You'll be surprised.
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 08:30 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 228/227/130

Height: 5'3"

Question Birdie732111

Hi, I'm new here, too.I've found the site great but hard to navigate. I want a clicker at the bottom of my posts to show my progress but haven't found a way to do that. Do you know how?

Good luck!
Rich's Merri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:55 AM   #6  

Default Thanks!

Thank you all for your great advice!
I am sorry to not have said so earlier, but right after I signed up, I got sick and I am barely feeling better. But I have started my diet as of yesterday and I am just going to go slow...cutting out sweets (which I LOVE) and just kinda watching what I eat.
Rich's Merri, I am sorry but I don't know how to do one of those tracker things.
Once again thanks, and keep on trucking...lol!
birdie732111 is offline   Reply With Quote