Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 08-27-2006, 04:48 AM   #1  

Default Another new chick joining in

Hi,

I am so glad I found this commmunity! Everything looks spiffy and everyone sounds really friendly and supportive.

Most of my life I've been overweight but now I decided to take action and change that. Looking at the weighing scale is scary since I know I have ways to go. But am looking forward to it since now I know there are people out there with the same goals as I do that I can talk to. Any advice on how to start getting the weight off and keeping it off would be lovely.

ShockingPurple
shockingpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 08:26 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/218/168

Height: 5'8"

hey shocking, good for you on your decision to take action and make changes. it is not always easy but you will find lots of support around here. as for how to get started, i think that there are just as many ways to lose weight as their are people trying. for me, exercise, lots of water and keeping my calories in check in the key. i have done weight watchers and it works great too. the main thing is to set mini goals throughout your journey. i have found that these mini goals help me stay motivated. good luck and welcome!!!
trob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 10:12 AM   #3  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hi Shocking, and welcome!

I agree there are lots of ways to lose weight and I applaud you on any of them as long as you choose something healthful...i.e. no crash dieting, etc.

Your plan right now though is very similar to mine. I exercise my butt off and eat less calories. But I also eat very few processed foods, stick to a lot of fresh fruits and veggies with some protein, drink lots of water, etc.

One thing I think is important is to find something YOU can live with. Also you may want to start out... esp. with exercise but in other things also... with a smaller amount so you don't become overwhelmed. As you go along and it begins to be a habit to do right, you will find new ways to add to your healthful plan... especially as you begin to see the benefits and ENJOY them and see your NSVs begin to pile up. "NSV" stands for "non-scale victory" around here.

It is also very helpful IMO to read around on the forum and find other people's NSV posts and look at their progress pictures, etc. We all cheer each other on and as you are encouraging others, YOU will also benefit by the encouragement of seeing others do it and know YOU can do it too!

Hope to see you around a lot more. BTW I am a former Midwest girl also... grew up in Missouri!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:18 AM   #4  

Hey Trob and Misti,

thanks for the welcome! Looking at the progress pictures really got me motivated. Its ironic how free luncheon invites pop up exactly when I decided to start eating healthy. arrgh! BUT it is day 3, and I am still on the exercise routine!

Oh, forgot to introduce myself. I am currently a university student in Australia. I like reading whatever I can get my hands on, writing trash, collecting music, travelling and taking photos. When I was young, I wanted to taste every single icecream flavor that is out there in the world. Pity that dream wasn't really realistic. Hahaha.

Would anyone like to buddy up with me? Help keep the motivation level up, trade diet/exercise secrets and all that jazz.

Goal to reach (hopefully) before Christmas!

Last edited by shockingpurple; 08-28-2006 at 10:08 AM.
shockingpurple is offline   Reply With Quote