Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 08-23-2006, 11:42 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 183/183.6/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Back on the saddle again . . .

Hello, I am new to 3FC, but I am not new to weightloss (attempts). Alittle about me. I'm married with 1 child and 2 step-children. My DD is about to be 6 yrs old, and is in 1st grade. I was pretty slim before having my daughter, and didn't gain much weight durring pregnancy. However after pregnancy was a whole other story. I think mostly from stress I began to live off the drive-thru for the first few years of her life. I was pretty depressed and didn't know it. Her father and I split up and I got alittle better - lost some weight from exercise and healthier eating. Then I met my fiance and slowly moved back towards the my old poor eating/exercise habits. Over the last 4 years I've gone up and down in weight (not down much, mostly up).

I realize now (again ) that my health is much more important than my dress size. I want to eat healthy so I can feel good and have the energy to spend time with my DD. The ultimate wake-up call came straight out of her mouth, "Mommy, why do you just sit around all the time when we're at home?". At first I was irritated, but as the days went on after that I was so happy that she said it. She was right, all I've been doing is sitting on my a**, eating and feeling sorry for myself. I hardly spend time with her, and I hardly take care of the house and don't take care of myself. I always told myself I would be a great mother - that I would be so close to my DD and be her best friend. How can I do that when I spend more time with the TV than I do her.

So my first step is to take better care of myself. No more ordering pizza or gonig through the drive-thru. I need to cook healthy meals (or atleast cook) LOL!!! and get exercise. One step at a time until I'm feeling good, strong and can devote the time to my DD that she needs.

My first step has been to just cook - although I haven't been making the healthiest foods, it's important for me to just start somewhere. My second step has been to start reading "You the Owners Manual". I want to know exactly what my body needs. I already know what it doesn't need.

My next step (in conjuction with the above) is to be more active. That includes traditional exercise, but also cleaning the house and maintaing it daily. Organizing family walks and park outings every weekend day (weather permitting).

My goals:

1. Finish "You the Owners Manual" by 8/30

2. Revamp my meals completely by 9/1

3. Begin a weekly mother/daughter walk-run starting 8/26

4. Only weigh myself monthly and do measurements monthly

5. Create easy, no-cook meal options for difficult days

That's me and my goals. It's nice to meet you all and I look forward to sharing this journey with you!!
CH4Health is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/182/165

Height: 5'6

Congratulations on starting! I know that acknowledging your problem and deciding on a plan is the hardest part. I've also just started to try and lose weight and I wish you all the best of luck!
ktandthesmurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:38 PM   #3  

Thank you ktandthesmurfs (BTW - I love your handle).
Old 08-23-2006, 05:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: a lot/ a little less/ 140

Height: 5'6"

Default I'm there too

I also have a first grader. When I gained all this weight I continually thought, I will not stay this big and i don't want to embarrass my child. I kept thinking that I had enough time to lose it before he went to school. I wanted to be healthier for him, to play more, just be a better mom. I've also noticed i just sit when I'm at home-not very fun for a child.
I started WW because i needed to be held accountable. Shame and spending money can be very motivating.!! I have not started exercising yet. I belong to a gym, but in the past I have dove in too quick and hurt myself while doing basic things. Examples-
1. Majorly dehydrated myself -don't ask!
2. Broke my foot while basically "dancercising" in between stations
at curves.
3. strained some kind of groin-ish muscle when trying to do a leg
machine at the gym.
So, i'm pretty clumsy! This time i decided to try to lose a few pounds before starting to exercise. I've decided to start the gym again in September. hopefully things will go better
Texas cankles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 05:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/182/165

Height: 5'6

If you ever need a weight-loss buddy and want to talk about exercise or anything just PM me!
ktandthesmurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:07 AM   #6  

Hi Texas cankles! I totally understand - it seems like everytime I start a workout routine I end burning out or over doing it and getting hurt. I've also decided to ease in to this. I'm walking at work when I have a chance, and doing 30 minutes of walk/jogging on my treadmill at home. I'm going to give it a week or two before I start strength training again, and when I do I will start with my body weight only. My big obstacle is usually myself - I always start off with too much and then fail.

Ditt what ktandthesmurfs said - for both of you, I would love to be a WL Budddy!