Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 08-21-2006, 02:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/245/180

Height: 5'5

Red face newbie here--anyone a member of curves??

hi ladies! my name is rachael and i'm 23 years old. i just gave birth to my baby girl two months ago and am currently 15 pounds lighter than when i first got pregnant. i'm currently taking hydroxycut as i have lost a lot of weight on it before. i'm thinking of joining curves to start working out. i was wondering if anyone else here is a member and how do you like it? also, how much do you pay for your membership right now? thanks ladies, any support i can get will help so much.
kenzeesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:32 PM   #2  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

I was a member. I was paying about $35 - 40/mo. After a while (a little over a year), I told them that I could no longer afford it and they reduced it to $20/mo.

Don't be surprised if you gain some weight at first. Muscle weighs more than fat. It should not last long.

It gets boring unless your location is adding new machines. They can not add new machines until their membership reaches a certain level. My location was one of the first in our area and we had 400 members within the first 2 months. It's decreased now because locations are popping up on just about every street corner.

I had to finally quit because I damaged both knees and had to spend several months in intense therapy to correct them. That is one of the biggest complaints about their eliptical workout routine.

However, the POSITIVE thing is that it isn't a "meet" market. These ladies there are there for the same reason you are. I've used a travel pass and found that each location had the same attitudes. They applaud your success and work with you if you are hitting hurdles.

Oh, to the best of my knowledge, they do NOT provide child care. The location I used had several little ones in there and they did have a small table and some toys, but not care for them while you work out.

Good luck. Hope this helps. I'm looking for some other place that has more equipment and convenient hours.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 03:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 185/179/125

Height: 5'0"

Kenzeemom,

I started two months ago at Curves and I love it. I pay $29 per month. I think for a year Curves would be great. If after that you don't feel like it is challenging enough then contract ends and their are other gyms. I think Curves is great for women who haven't ever worked out or have just started to work out. It has been 6 years since I have worked out and it is just what I need to get motivated and back in the groove. I wish you luck on your exercise and weight endeavours.
n2luvnlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 03:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 245/245/180

Height: 5'5

thanks for all the advice and input. the only thing i would have to think through is the startup fee, which i haven't yet called our local curves to see about yet and the time i'll be getting home, as supper will need to be cooked for my boyfriend. i'm sure i can readjust and my mom will have no problem in keeping my baby for some extra time.

about how long are the workouts usually?
kenzeesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 03:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Call about the fee, sometimes they have specials going, that is what I did. The fees and monthly charges can vary depending where you live. I live in California and pay $39 per month, and you can go as often as you want, everyday if that works for you. The workouts are usually about 30 minutes.I go around the circuit three times, sometimes I work out in San Diego where my son lives at that Curves they go around twice as they have more machines.At both places they have stuff going on that keep you and other members interested....and no I do not get bored.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 05:23 PM   #6  
Day 1 back on plan...

S/C/G: 244/tickers/175

I went to curves for awhile. The start up fee was 70 dollars but they had some special going on that you didn't have to pay the first month. It did get boring for me though. I came from a regular gym the price was better at curves and it was closer to home. It's a very easy workout though. The ladies were really friendly. They didn't have childcare and I was told they didn't like kids being there while you workout. If you go to the website you could probably find a % off coupon. If you decide to go don't sign up for the year if you think you will get bored...do monthly so you don't have to pay the fee for getting out early.
Losing4another is offline   Reply With Quote