Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-14-2006, 05:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 198 (HW) 183 (SW) / 180 / 150

Default Is This Right? Or am I wishfull thinking?

http://inch-aweigh.com/calc_body_fat.htm

I wanted to calculate body fat percentage based on more than just my age and weight. This site used body measurements (which I used what I have posted in my signature plus the additional wrist and forearm they wanted) and it came out that I am at 27.3% which just sounds too good to be true, and you know what they say!

So I was wondering, do you think it is accurate????
Sassy8877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 06:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Could be.

I've given up on all of those body fast tests. I've gotten everything from 25%-45%. I think the only real accurate weigh is a dunk tank which I'm not brave enough to do.

Sorry I couldn't help much!
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 06:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

By the way, I just took the test and it said 27.3% for me as well! No joking!

Maybe it just always says that!
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 06:42 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

It said 28.3 !! My current weight is 145 go figure!

I do like them, not this one though , because they do give you some kind of idea of progress over time... the one I used last time said 18.8%BF, I that one ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 07:08 PM   #5  

Quite a while ago, I did the rounds of the body fat calculators and got a wide range of percentages. I chose the middle one, which is the US Navy formula. I keep track on a spreadsheet. I don't think any of them are accurate, but if you stick with one, then you can see the progress over the months. As long as it goes down, I'll stick with it.
northernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 07:16 PM   #6  
Working My Way Back Down

I've more or less done that too - mostly to be sure it's going down, not that I believe it's accurate. I did a dunk test once years ago (was offered at a gym where I lived). It was awful! Made me very panicky! Not going there again!!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 07:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

25.8% not really too far off what I thought. Hmmm
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 07:48 PM   #8  
Mel

It puts me 6% higher than a recent 9 point caliper test. I don't see how these types of tests can possibly have any degree of accuracy. For example, they want your "forearm circumference". WHERE on my forearm is that? close to my elbow, or halfway to my wrist? Any algorithm that uses a waist to hip ratio is inaccurate FOR ME, because I'm so short waisted, I have no waist. There isn't much fat there, but there's not a huge difference in the measurement, so the built-in assumption is that I have a big ole roll of fat around my waist.

These calculators are based on statistical averages. They compare your measurements against a large data base of people with similar ages, measurement and weights who have been tested either hydrostatically or with calipers (probably hydrostatically), then extrapolate your bf% based on the averages in the data base. If your body doesn't conform to average- for example, my extreme shortwaistedness and the fact that I'm a bodybuilder, it's going to be really skewed. This one in particular seems suspect since it didn't ask for height.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:36 PM   #9  
Going to ONEderland

I would say it wasn't very accurate. It measured me way too low too. The forearm measurement they really should tell you where to measure on that.

I used the same measurements that I use with my fat calipers. My fat calipers (one pinch test) put me at 38 percent and this calculation put me at 28.6 percent. My scale with the body fat system put me at 50 percent with the same measurements. I think the 38 is the more accurate number. I really don't trust the scale thing, (but on the other hand I'm big busted, so it may be measuring more body fat there), and most of the sites I've found with either calipers or other ways are closer to the 36 to 38 range.

Part of the problem with this calculator is that it doesn't ask how tall you are. That would be a BIG factor.

Try this one: http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/bfb I think you'll get a more accurate reading.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:51 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Drat! I kinda liked my number.
Did anybody follow the directions to the grams of protein you need? 58? I passed that sometime this morning.

Oh so I tried the other one (SherryA's) and got 25.06%.

Last edited by srmb60; 03-14-2006 at 08:59 PM.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote