Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-06-2005, 09:54 PM   #1  
No more tears!

Question ok

see how i suppose to eat 1500-1600 calories and i cant exercise or walk becuz im handicap. i eat under 1300 a day and i think im doing good. can anybody give me some advice on exercise i can do?
BBWonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 07:09 AM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I'm not sure what the extent of your handicap is, but maybe you could buy some small weights and work your upper body? Building muscle helps to increase your metabolism all day long, whereas cardio only burns while (and immediately after) you do it, so strength training has actually proven more helpful in weight loss for a lot of people. You can buy smal handweights just about anywhere (Target, Walmart, Kmart...). Just a suggestion...good luck!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 08:35 AM   #3  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Yeah I had forgotten about the "wheels" part in your handle. But that's ok, you can still get exercise. It's the same thing I told my dad on my last visit. He's had 6 knee surgeries and has to stay off his feet for the most part. But while he's sitting in that recliner, I said he could possibly just "lift" his legs. Don't know if that one works for you though. He could also do hand weights or just twist and move his upper body. The key is movement. If it's moving, it's exercising.

Can you bend down? Do some deep bends to help with the waist and upper body. Stretching one arm over and across your head to pull on your waistline. Twist the upper body from side to side. You may just have to experiment to see what you can/can't safely do.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 10:35 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

BBWonwheels-
We have discussed this numerous times on other threads-but if you are diabetic, and are on a 1500-1600 calories plan gvien to you by your doctor-then you should be eating 1500-1600 calories a day, eating all of your exchanges, and following doctors orders. Has your doctor given you the okay to eat 1300 or under??? If not, then you need to talk with him about this, and soon.
1500-1600 calories a day is low enough for you to lose weight on-and you need to be following this plan. Eating too many calories than you are supposed to can cause problems making your blood sugar too high, but eating too LOW can cause your blood sugar to become too low as well-and also cause health problems.
I am not a physician, but I am a gestational diabetic, and at high risk to develop the disease fully if I do not keep my diet and weight in check. It also runs in my family-and I had family members who are now deceased because of this disease, and because of the problems that ensued from not following their doctors orders. I cannot stress the importance of following your doctors diet plan ENOUGH.
It is not fair to your own health that you ask advice here without giving your full medical history-you could get advice from people here who are unaware of your situation, and it could be advice that could be harmful to you.
I will stress this once more, but if you are eating under 1300 calories a day, and are supposed to be eating 1500-1600 in a plan given to your by your doctor, then you need to be following those orders. You will lose weight on the doctor's plan-being in a hurry to lose and not following your diet properly is only going to hurt you in the long run.

On the exercise advice-I recommend that you visit the Collage Video website www.collagevideo.com and look under their "specialty" section of videos. They have some videos there that are all done in a sitting position (one video I believe is called Chair Dancing) and they also have some videos there as well for certain health problems, for those with limitations. Check it out and see if there is a video there that may work for you.

To get to the specialty workouts, when you click the link there will be a place in the upper left hand corner with a woman's face-something about the easy way to select a workout or something like that-click on her and the specialty section will be on the next page.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 06:51 PM   #5  
No more tears!

ok aphil i understand wat u r saying. i talked to my doctor and he said the same thing. im nervous becuz i think 1500 cal is alot but i will get used to it. ty for those words and ill get me some weights. oh, i have cerebral palsy. i can move my legs and arms i just can't walk. Today i ate a ground beef patty on whole wheat bread without any salt, greese and spice. I had a piece of cheese, teaspoon of mustard and a slice of tomato on it. i think that was to much.....lol breakfast and lunch add up to 1041 cal today. havent had dinner yet but ill have baked chicken without the skin, spinch and mashed potatos without butter and salt and that add up 1290 calories. So i can add a light snack later.

Ty
Old 07-08-2005, 06:15 AM   #6  

Height: 5'5"

Just to let you know, I eat about 1800 calories and still lose. Sometimes I eat a bit more if I'm exercising and need the energy. So 1500 calories isn't too much, and if you stick with it you WILL lose.

Trust your doctor. They know what they're talking about and also know your history/general health, so they are are probably in the best position to help you
JoyfulVegGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 06:30 AM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

DEFINITELY listen to your doctor! After all, that's what we're payin' them for, right? They're the experts, and you should do as they suggest. Your health depends on it. Also, keep in mind that eating not enough calories can actually make it harder for you to lose weight! It doesn't make sense logically, but your body needs a certain amount of fuel and nutrients in order to become the fat-burning machine you want it to be, so you have to fill 'er up and treat 'er right
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 07:56 PM   #8  
No more tears!

thank yall for helping me and i understand now
Old 07-09-2005, 07:07 PM   #9  

BB... My Grandaughter has CP.. I was wondering.. I'm not sure how it works once you are an adult but are you eligable still for Physical Therapy? I know they may be able to help you find fitness activities that would work for you. I know my GD is in PT, OT, Aqua Therapy, Speech and Anat Banion.. CP helps to cover all but the Anat Banion and Aqua Therapy. I think my daughter is paying $100 a month for the Aqua therapy and the weightlessness of your body in water has helped her alot learning muscle control. Don't know if you have access to that type of program where you live but it may be worth looking into.
Thus far it looks like my GD will wind up in a chair too. They are fitting here next week as she has outgrown her stroller. She is still able to use a gait trainer for now but her ankles are turning in and we don't know if they are going to be able to straighten them also she can't move her legs independently.. what one does.. the other does.

I would contact the CP Foundation and see too if they have ideas for excersize or even excersize equiptment that would work for you. By the way.. my GD is not quite 3.. seeing you here gives me hope for her future.. you seem to be a very bright young lady!
dona is offline   Reply With Quote