Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 05:38 PM   #1  

Default Daily Chat :)

Hi Ladies,

Sorry that I've been MIA lately.......got busy and then I forgot my password! Grrrrrrrr. Took me a while to find the time to sit and fix that one. Geez.

The wedding was great! Can't believe that my little brother is now married. They went to Hawaii for their honeymoon....due back tomorrow. I had a good time....paid for it the next day but was up and about the day after. Thank God. Was really worried that I would be in a lot of pain for a long period of time. I didn't take any medication because I worried about it's interaction with booze. Had to toast the happy couple!

I finished the job at the hospital today. Liked the people and the enviroment....but REALLY glad the job is done! All I need to fall asleep now is to picture computer code. Not too sure what I'm going to do now. I think I can get another job at the hospital but not sure if I could handle it. Back did give me trouble.

I started physical therepy but find that it's hit or miss. Want to really focus on that this week. Make a plan, etc. Got the flu right now so I'll have plenty of time to think while in bed.

Glad to see that you guys are still out there! Wish Joanne lived closer and we could both walk to the beach. Then again, getting a little nippy here. You sound like you're doing great Angel....really upbeat . Have to laugh at your hip hugger comment . Hi Canuck!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!!!!!!!!!

Deb
Old 10-24-2003, 07:36 PM   #2  

Default Hey There

Grasshopper- It is nice to hear from you. I am so glad you started a new thread. I was thinking about it ,but the last time I tried it I messed it up.Now we can solve that walking to the beach. All you have to do is move down here. My son told me today that he will have a vacancy in his apt. house soon. I didn't walk today. I had so much pain in my legs last night it was after midnight when the pain pill I took helped. But, I walked 5 days in a row so I guess I needed to take the day off.
I went to a book sale today. After I had all I could carry ,I said, I got to get out of here. I can get carried away.I love books.I'm not kidding,I wanted them all..Is that crazy or obsessed?
I am glad you enjoyed the wedding. Even with the pain it was probably good for you.
I am still on the south beach diet. I have been able to tolerate it well. I have only a few pounds to goal..Then I will celebrate. My hubby says"yeah, you will go out and eat different and get sick".
Hello Angel...Happy
Have a good weekend everybody...Joanne
Old 10-25-2003, 07:34 AM   #3  

WAY TO GO...JOANNE!! Almost at goal! Sorry, your legs are hurting. Maybe you'll get back to par soon...I hope so. I had always thought about doing some kind of needle work...like quilt tops, etc. Especially something to leave for grands...as my grandmothers did. Kept putting it off. Now, the RA won't allow it. Guess that's a good lesson, huh?! I DID make a soundtrack, though. Got one put back each for grands.
The jacuzzi I have is the tub in the bathroom. It's very large with a button to push...then, I'm in heaven for awhile! Wish I had the other kind...but this helps. We put it in when we remodeled the bathroom...just before the fire...mostly because of my back problems. Glad it survived!

Grasshopper...good to hear from you. Glad you had a good time at the wedding! I know you enjoyed your job...but, I'm sure your back needs some rest. I went to physical therapy for awhile. Got massages...felt sooo good! Guy that massaged wasn't bad looking either!

Happy Canuk...I've seen the water massages at the mall. I could have had a free demonstration, but was shy about it. Now, I wish I had. Looked great!

Maybe Silk will be back soon....MISS HER!
Everyone have a good weekend.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:16 AM   #4  

Default Hey There

The scale seems to be at a stand still... I walked 5 days last week ,did everything I guess right. That is all part of the stuggle ,I guess.
It is monday and I seem to be slow at getting my day started. Time change is for the birds. My brother says they don't have it in AZ.
Bye..Joanne
Old 10-28-2003, 10:03 AM   #5  

Default Hey

Where did everybody go? It is cloudy here today. I sure hope we get some rain out of it. It is a good day to just sit and read. I do have to go out later. SAM"S is calling me. I buy some things in bulk. Then go home and portion them out. It saves a little.
Keep well...Joanne
Old 10-28-2003, 05:33 PM   #6  

Hi All!

Glad to see you all are still here! Can't believe I went to sign in and forgot my password AGAIN! Geez, where did my mind go...think I need to put an APB out on it or something!

Going a little stir crazy now that I'm not working. Okay, so it's been 3 days but I miss getting out of the house. Feel stagnated.

I've been thinking about getting a TENS unit. Anyone else tried those? Physical therepy uses the larger ones to massage the back but my therepist told me I can buy a small one online. Can even hook it up to my belt and wear/use it throughout the day. He said it would run about $60.00. Will have to research it.

Hope everyone is doing well! Angel that whirlpool sounds awesome.....wish I had one! Know what you mean about books Joanne. Think I hit the library two or three times a week....

Deb
Old 10-28-2003, 07:34 PM   #7  

Default Hey There

Grasshopper- I have heard that some people have used the tens unit and got some relief from it. I never used one except what they used in therepy for me once. It didn't help me all that much,but ,then I have osteoarthritis and you know that is something we have to learn to live with. Why don't you see if you can rent one from a therepy group or a place that has hospital equipment. Sometimes with a Dr.scrip you can get something like that and your insurence will pay for it.
What kind of reading are you into.. I am trying to vary what I read . It is mostly light. I like a lot of the female authors.
Angel - I have had a few weak days . My eating plan is still pretty stable. I have only 6-7 lbs to goal and then a few to stay on the safe side. It is so hard!!I ate some tropical trail mix today . I was craving something sweet. It was fruit and nuts,but ,I'm sure I should have just ate a fruit.(fresh)Tomorrow is another day...Pray for me...
Hello to everyone...Lurkers ..Join us!!..........Joanne
Old 10-28-2003, 09:13 PM   #8  

I was almost finished with a long post.......then....the power blinked!!!!
JOANNE...You can lose those last few lbs! Seems like they really drag....I know. Don't eat much in the evenings, & drink LOTS of water....Hang in there, we're pulling for you!!

Grasshopper...I've read about the tens unit...but never did try one. I say...it's worth a try. Wish I had, instead of steroid shots. They didn't do anything but blow me up! Took me a looong time to lose that weight! I've had agonizing pain with my back all day. Took Gina to the mall to cheer her up. She's been blue, lately. Husband's in Iraq. I couldn't do much, though. Had one the worse days with my back, I've had in a long time. At lease, we spent time together.

Gotta take meds & go to bed...take care.
Old 10-29-2003, 10:56 AM   #9  

Hi Grasshopper, Joanne and Angel. Hope you ladies are having a good day.

I have now made it through two days of the South Beach Diet. It hasn't been that difficult. No REAL craving, just a feeling, kind of in the background that carbs would be good This will pass in a few days. I do know that I felt so much better when on Atkins, so I am hoping that this plan will be the same.

Grasshopper - Can you find something else to do? I did so enjoy going back to work, but unfortunatley, is wasn't to be. I lasted only one month! By then the pain had grown intolerable, and the pain meds wouldn't even tough it. Then, of course, my good friend Fibromyalgia, had a go at me with a bout of fatigue. I still play with the idea of finding something else. There MUST be something I can do, but I just haven't discovered it - YET!

Joanne - sorry your knees are hurting so bad. Hope that eases up for you a little. You will make those last few pounds. I know you are determined.

Angel - Hope the meds help the pain in the back. I have such problems with my back as well. Osteoarthritis - nothing much "fixes" it. It has settled in the Facet Joints (the joints that allow us to have motion). That is why exercise is so darn hard. The wrong move and the joints lock and that pain is excrutiating. Hate to bring it on, as I have had quite enough of it to last me a life time.

Grasshopper - I didn't have a TENS machine, but I did buy a Dr. Ho machine. It is a little different than a tens. It is a wonderful machine. I like it a lot better than a TENS. I will find the website for you. It is little, but boy, is it powerful.

http://www.drhonow.com/

Last edited by Happy Canuk; 10-29-2003 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:04 AM   #10  

Hi everybody...Hope all feel well today. My back is a little better. Just know not to bend, or stretch, or...well...guess it's not too much better! At least, not in as much pain.

Happy Canuk...that's what's wrong with my back...osterarthritis. Was in a car wreck in '83. Ended my working....been on disability since. Now, I also have RA, so I'm REALLY in misery. The chemo & Remicade treatments help with the pain & fatigue of RA...but not the osterarthritis. I have a Neurologist, a Rheumatologist, a General Dr....they all keep "conferring" with each other. I think they know each other pretty well, now.
It bothered me a lot that I couldn't work either. I finally found a christian tv station close by that I volunteer at 3 days a week. We all are good friends...they let me do what I'm able to do. Stop & rest when needed...even have bedrooms upstairs, if I need to lay down awhile. Also, it gives me a chance to minister to others, as someone to talk to if their feeling "down", etc. I have a program on Monday nights, "Vision of Heaven", where I sing. This gets me out of the house...but, doesn't put pressure on me when I'm not feeling well. I get to where I don't want to do anything, if I stay home very much.

Glad you're doing well with the South Beach diet. I've heard a lot about it.

Gotta go get breakfast for DH...hope all have a good day.

Old 10-30-2003, 04:56 PM   #11  

Hi All!

So glad to see that you're feeling better Angel. Felt really bad for you when I saw that first post about the back. Hate when that kicks in. Hope your daughter's hubby get home by Christmas. Got to be really rough.

Thanks for that web address Canuck. Think I'll check it out once I get another paycheck. Hmmm, need another job first. The guy in PT said that a unit will cost me about 60-70 dollars. We'll see. There's always Santa....lol.

Stay strong there Joanne! Wish I was that far along on my diet.

Hope everyone has a good week!

Deb
Old 10-31-2003, 09:47 AM   #12  

KEEP ALL THE KIDS SAFE TONIGHT!
Old 10-31-2003, 10:41 AM   #13  

Default Hey There

One more pound gone..Hope I can resist the candy tonight...Joanne
Old 10-31-2003, 01:13 PM   #14  

http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/...okes/12636.jpg
Old 10-31-2003, 01:15 PM   #15  

Have a great Halloween.

Good going Joanne. One more pound is gone. Keep it up at the end of the year it all adds up.
Closed Thread