Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 02-17-2020, 10:20 AM   #1  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Default Mid-February Battling Depression with Friends

We welcome you if you are battling the depression monster and invite you to join in, write about whatever you want. Your ups and downs

Hello Pat! (Flower) so many days have passed since we last 'spoke'. How are you?? worried about the inflammation you wrote of and the tiny amount of calories you can only safely consume...I hope so much you are better!!

I am on head/chest cold #3 of the winter!! I used to think I was a healthy person too. It can only be due to working in a child care facility, germs everywhere.

we've seen some sun for a couple times in the past weeks and that is nice. Been keeping up with the shoveling.

well just wanted to check in!
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 07:28 PM   #2  

Hi Holly
thank you for starting the Feb. Thread.
Im sorry you have been so sick this winter. You had the sinus infection for so long. Now are sick again. Kids are often walking petri dishes. so I can understand how some people can often get sick being around them. I am wondering if you might want to look into taking an immune system supplement or herb. I would not know the right one for you. So I cannot suggest anything.
How is the job in general? Are things getting easier there? Or are some of the people who work there continuing to complain? Especially that one woman who was making it difficult for you. Please do let me know how it all is going, if you can.

Thanks for asking about me. I recovered from the last excruciating bout. Am still under treatment for what caused it. Parasites and H-pylori. I rebound ate and have consequently gained a lot of weight. Exceeding what I weighed prior to the last bout of illness. This is especially troublesome because I am going to Boston for a required trip to help clear out my mother's condo. My brother, SILs and others will be there. I warned them that I have put on a lot of weight since they saw me when my mother died. I also told them I am NOT planning to diet prior to going there. I have 2 pairs of jeans that fit. That's it. No other pants fit. And I am not going to buy more in a larger size.

Hope you, and anyone reading this thread are doing well.

Last edited by flower123; 02-26-2020 at 07:33 PM.
flower123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 05:58 PM   #3  
Biker Chick!

Hello Pat! I am so sorry that you are troubled by the weight gained, when you were finally able to eat. I wish that it was not an issue for you, about what your brother and sister-in-laws think, about your appearance. I KNOW what a shining, kind and beautiful soul you have!!! and that is all that should matter to anyone!!

thank you for asking about the job! and wow you have a good memory. Unfortunately that certain woman is still a burr under my saddle, LOL. I am doing exactly what the 2 directors want me to do. And one of those things is to introduce a second serving of a vegetable twice a week, and to try to make that vegetable a leafy green, or a bright color. And it is mainly to just introduce different veggies to the kids, they are not expected to finish it, just to try it.

and I have been taking such pride in putting together their lunch trays with different colors and textures...well yesterday she proclaims (and that's how she speaks) that I should stop serving red peppers and grape tomatoes, that I had served them 'every day this week'. And that was simply not true...I had served those veggies as the main offering one day, and the other 2 days, I used slivers of peppers or cut tomatoes as garnish. I was so angry...but at the time of confrontation, I NEVER react correctly!! I just stammer and acquiesce and flee. But then boil afterwards, almost to the point of tears.

I approached the Director..I said that I was doing exactly what they wanted, that I was doing a very good job and that I am very good at what I do!! and she hastened to agree and said yes, I am doing fine, great, all that. But about the woman; if she says anything to me again, I should just say "Yup" and go away. I'm not going to do that!! that does nothing to stand up for myself. Gah!

The Director must have known that I was still steamed the rest of the day, because last night she sent an email that said she wanted to reiterate that I am doing a great job and she appreciates that I am trying to introduce new foods, despite resistance. She called the downstairs lady a curmudgeon and said the woman doesn't mean to sound so gruff.

well thank you for the opportunity to vent!!

Last edited by VermontMom; 02-27-2020 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:49 AM   #4  

Hi Holly. Sorry it took so long to check posts here. Been in a bit of a flurry.
i must say that I wish the director had spoken with the Rude woman. It seems dismissive that ahe said "the woman doesn't mean to sound do gruff". That's protecting a bully! Sorry, but that's my feeling having read your words. The director is making excuses for bullying. If I had the nerve I would ask the director if she defends kids who bully. Or is it only adult bullies she makes excuses for. Of course I would not have the nerve to say that go the director. But I would want to. I'm sorry that woman is given the power to talk that way to wonderful you! You are such a good conscientious kind caring soul.
How much longer will you work there?

I went to Boston. It was very difficult. But I survived. I didn't care about my weight. Honestly there were too many other things to be concerned about while there. Including my health which crashed on Sunday. And then a full blown panic attack on Sunday night. But I made it home on Monday. Then crashed on Tuesday. Came alive again today. But it will take a week or so you'll heal. This is the anniversary of when my mother was hospitalized, had her birthday and then died. So it's a bit of a challenging time. Add to that the sale of her condo. Removing everything that she lived with and loved.

I hope you are enjoying this this warmer weather.

Last edited by flower123; 03-12-2020 at 01:53 AM.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:13 AM   #5  
Biker Chick!

Hello Pat I'm sorry it seems to take days for me to respond. I'm so glad you were able to accomplish the Boston visit...but very sad to hear of the health problems on the Sunday of when you were there. And then dealing with the anniversary of your mother's hospitalization, birthday, then passing And having to take care of her home, her belongings, that is excruciating, I know. It is so hard to go through belongings and made decisions to donate, sell, toss, keep...I'm so sorry you have to do that.

How is your health now, Pat? I hope so much that you are doing okay now

Yes, I agree with you, that my Director was allowing bullying to happen. That is how we see it, you and I, who are sensitive creatures I guess! but the Director does not see it that way obviously, so that is sucky to me. And there is one co-worker whom I told this too, and she says 'Oh Holly, consider the source and just let it roll off you'. And the 2 afternoons a week that I am assisting with child care, it just is NOT my niche. I have not received any specific training or instruction on how to handle or discipline kids, so I tend to be more lenient; then a co-worker (teacher) will come down hard on the kid (not physically, I mean verbally of course) and I feel like a fool because I don't know what to do.

I had an especially challenging day on Friday, and I did kinda snap when someone laughingly pointed out that I had forgotten something...that task was to gather the toddler room's dirty washcloths...I swear that I was on my way to do that very thing when I was interrupted AGAIN to do something trivial for someone else (that happens constantly during my kitchen shift and I feel like a servant -but since the teachers are involved with the kids, and I am not, I guess that's the order of things) so I did forget the washcloths...and then I was so frustrated at them and at myself, and I hate it when someone laughingly points out that I failed at something...so I stalked over to collect the washcloths and muttered out loud "just 7 more weeks" and the girl looks startled and asked 'what did you say?!' and I repeated it as I walked away...that was petty of me but I just didn't care. But that particular girl was the one who made a big deal of the forgotten washcloths when I did the same thing back in January.

And it was one week ago today, I was STILL sick, with a deep rattling sound in my lungs when I would breathe deeply, so I went to Urgent Care again (last time was about Jan. 21) 2 chest x rays again (relatively 'clear') and was given 7 days' of a different antibiotic. I started feeling better 2 days after, and now the cough is gone, it is so good not to be coughing up/out crud anymore. But I have gone to work every single scheduled day even when I felt lousy, for 2 months, yet every week at work someone calls out and it puts a burden on us all.

Pat thank you so much for allowing me to vent!!! my poor husband has to hear the brunt of it , and he is 100% sympathetic but it's always nice to know someone besides your spouse agrees with you

Last edited by VermontMom; 03-15-2020 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:47 AM   #6  

Holly I am responding as I read. the co worker who said "consider the source and just let it roll off you" does NOT understand folks who are extremely sensitive. But I do. Because I am extremely sensitive. This is a gift. But it can be very difficult and painful to navigate.

Im HORRIBLE at disciplining kids. Horrible. So I completely understand. And I have felt like a failure because I am way too soft.

Regarding to what you said to the girl about 7 more weeks, I think your tolerance level was pushed past your limit. Sounds like you are being taken advantage of there. And are being disrespected. You deserve more than that. You are a VERY conscientious woman. You strive to succeed and do a good job. And this job does not allow you to succeed to your usual standards.

you can vent to me any time you need to. You are a good person. you are an amazing worker. You deserve much better than this job.
Maybe the governor will shut down day care centers. Schools are shutting down on Wednesday at the latest. If day care centers are shut down you can still get paid through the state, I think. For your sake, I hope that happens.

As for me, I got bacterial strep. No wonder I got it with all the stress I was feeling. I always get it when overly stressed. So Im banned from my chiropractor's office for 14 days. She used to scoff at anyone who was afraid to treat me when I had this. Now. Im banned. People are in crazy fear mode. My immune system is very compromised. And I am a senior citizen. So I really should stay home. But Im so used to going to the health food store and trader joe's for food each day that I am risking a lot. Not worth risking my life. So I am going to stay home. Except tomorrow I have to go to the bank. For some odd reason I got two emails today. Two different condo owners told me they would get food etc for me if I need it. I have no clue why they thought to do that. Because neither of them knew I had a compromised immune system. I thanked them and declined their offer, for now. I cannot imagine asking a neighbor to go get me something. But the offers were balm for my grieving heart. Im eating like a famine is coming. Way too much food. But I did give up sugar, wheat and dairy last week. So I think that may have something to do with it.

Again, hoping your day care center temporarily closes down and you still get paid.

edited in on Thursday AM. I wrote the above before things got worse and places closed. I hope your day care had no children of parents who qualified for exemption to day care closing

Last edited by flower123; 03-19-2020 at 12:54 AM.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:36 AM   #7  
Biker Chick!

good morning Pat! (flower) How are you feeling, with the bacterial strep?? and do you need medication for it and do you have a means to get the medication?? I am worried about that, for you. and I hope you can take advantage of the people who offered to go to the store for you? how are you?? (sorry for all the intense question marks, just concerned!)

I really wish some of our previous friends would visit here! you get to know people over the months/YEARS and care for them. Sending virtual caring thoughts to you all!

Yes our daycare closed! I am ashamed of how happy I am and yes I got through to the State for unemployment insurance, and I think they are suspending the one week waiting period, so I get benefits starting from the day I was laid off (got the phone call Tuesday night) . I made sure to be pleasant and helpful to the person on the phone, as she was very pleasant and helpful; and I commiserated that her job must be crazy now and wished her luck and good health. My husband is also getting laid off from his night auditor position at the hotel. His employer is going to pay for our medical benefits for next month, that is $1,000 we don't have to worry about, thank goodness!!!

Yesterday was the first day that I had time, PLUS feeling good (no more cold/sinus/bronchitis!!) and I worked out!! for the first time since January!! I did my favorite Leslie Sansone Walking vid, with light weights. 45 minutes! and will do something today also.

I haven't weighed myself in months either and if I do, and see a number I don't like, it will likely put me in a tailspin, instead of making me committed. so I will probably just stay away from the scale. But yes, the fact is my pants are tighter, boo. well that does happen when one eats too much

Last edited by VermontMom; 03-19-2020 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-20-2020, 12:50 AM   #8  

Hi Holly
no worries, I know how to treat the strep. I have antibacterial supplements. Both herbs and other stuff. Just has bean hanging on a bit because of all the stress. Memories of this time last year. Mother so very sick. Her birthday on the March 20th in the hospital. Then her death 17 days later. That added to self isolating completely alone.... I think there is a lot of healing possible.

So glad you will get unemployment ins. asap. And you will have health insurance. And of course happy you are free from the egos at that job! Stay well. And it's okay you gained. I think everyone who stays home will be gaining...or having babies in 9 months, lol.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:45 PM   #9  
Biker Chick!

LOL at having babies in 9 months and I applaud anyone at this time who is not boredom snacking!

how are you Pat? and anyone else listening! today is one week of being laid off and I am loving every single minute of it.

We got at least 7 or 8" of snow the other day, it was HEAVY to shovel. and now it's melting rapidly, yay for that.

Today was the first time I went to the local general store to check our mail, and bought milk and bread and the last 5# bag of King Arthur flour Tomorrow we will go to either Hannafords or Price Chopper in Morrisville; we will go with a list, and be as quick as we can. We plan to buy for 2 weeks.

We did receive our first Unemployment Insurance payments already! that is a good feeling. I made 3 calls yesterday regarding payments of our motorcycle insurance, a medical bill, and our AAA card, and was mostly successful getting extensions, which is cool of them.

keep in touch!

Last edited by VermontMom; 03-25-2020 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:29 PM   #10  

Holly, I apologize for waiting so long to reply. No excuse. Just space out. I'm sorry. How are you doing since you last posted. Your unemployment checks came through so quickly. That's amazing. Was checking out Coronavirus in "seven days" online. They even give the amount per-capital. Seems lamoille county is doing pretty well. My county, Chittenden of course is by far the worst. 1 in every 610 people. 4 days ago it was considerably less.

My hope is that I can get the natural medicine I need for chronic strep and also one for parasites. The chronic strep one (which Aldo treats viral) has been on back order everywhere, including online. Hoping I can find the parasite one somewhere. The company production may be shut down. That's a bit scary for me.

Im trying to stay away from the news. Not going to stores because of my immune system and age. Both factors combined means I'm staying in. Just very worried about the 2 medicines. Especially the parasite one. Scary times

I hope you are doing well during all of this.

Old 04-06-2020, 08:53 AM   #11  
Biker Chick!

good morning Pat! I sure hope you can get the meds you are looking for!! :hugs: Yes it is wise for you to distance yourself, how are you getting food/house supplies?

we are good, I still have a phlegmy cough (sorry for TMI) but am hoping it goes away someday. I am such a homebody, I don't mind staying home at all!! We have been to the grocer store once in 3 weeks but will have to go sometime this week. I have to go to the general store ( only 1/4 mile away) for our mail, but I only check that 2X's a week.

Have not been outside much at all because of crummy weather but finally spent time outside the past 2 days, for yardwork. Have lots of raking to do. Said Hi to the emerging plants! Primrose, peonies, the mints. Each time I complete a small cleanup, it makes the rest of the place look even more awful, LOL! but it's this way every early Spring. We actually usually have snow on the ground still, this early in April, so I am very glad we are past that!

Summoned all my courage and weighed yesterday for the first time since early January. And I'm *only* 9 pounds more than my happy weight. I can tackle that. Especially that we've been allowing ourselves to have just about anything we want lately.

Have not heard from my summer workplace yet. Our younger son is able to work remotely, which is great. Our older son is not, and he is very unhappy about having to go to work and his co-workers are not being good about covering coughs or sneezes and his employers don't seem to care..that is enough to get a mom really indignant! but he will have to weigh his options and make his decisions (that if he decides to say he feels exposed to hazards, he can quit, but he won't be hired back)

Pat, shall I start an April thread for us?
Old 04-07-2020, 05:02 AM   #12  

Holly April thread would be great, if you would like to start one. I'm really sorry that your oldest son is still having to go in to work. And that others in his workplace are not being conscientious about not spreading germs. Wonder why the boss tolerates it.

You have had that phlegmy cough for so long. Sometimes it's not easy to break these patterns. Are you going to wear a mask when you go to the post office in general store and then the market? I need to make one. But I really am not going anywhere just need to deal with the food people bring to me. I give them my handmade greeting cards as thank you gifts. So it does work out for them. Three cards each time they go to the store. Worth 18 dollars.

Amazing you are already raking leaves in your area. I gave my rake away years ago. So I'm using my hands. So many leaves. Because of all the bending I will do only 15 minutes a day. Can't hurt my back right now. No chiropractor to go to. Re: your summer job, will the place even be open?

I hope you stay stay safe and get some enjoyable projects done. <3

Last edited by flower123; 04-07-2020 at 05:04 AM.