Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-09-2018, 04:34 PM   #1  

Default Permitting oneself *any* vegetable or fruit

I've had success in the past doing low-carb and high-protein, so I'm trying to stick with that. But my Mom went on a no-sugar no-flour diet not long ago and did great. So I was thinking of adding in vegetables and fruits (a big no-no with Atkins). I'm afraid if I don't allow myself some variety, I'll just binge on something even worse, like McDonald's or a big pouch bag of Turtles chocolate or something. I'm also thinking of adding in occasional amounts of rice, corn, and potatoes (I don't eat them often). I'm a big binge eater, so when I get the super-intense craving for bad carbs, I turn into a werewolf and it's a real struggle to avoid them. Better to have something not quite as bad available to eat is my logic. Has anyone else experimented with this, too?
Crunchyhippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/148/132-136

Height: 5'6" - 64 YO

Well are you going on a diet or making a lifestyle change? I have had great success no sugar no flour as has your mother and this is a new way of life for me. If I were doing Atkins, I think it would sabotage that diet which pushes you into ketosis.
grannynancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Welcome back to 3FatChicks Crunchyhippo! I think it depends on the individual. Some people find that any amount of carb is a trigger that sets them up for a carb fest. They find that once they cut the carbs out of their diet they eventually lose the craving for them. Then there are people who will binge on carbs if they try to eliminate them. The WOE will work for a while and then they crash and burn. For them, it is best to allow a portion of these foods here and there. The key phrase here is "here and there." If you know you can eat them moderately and still lose weight, go for it. The scale will answer your question.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:13 AM   #4  
mjf

Every good diet includes vegetables, so you should definitely be eating vegetables.

I'm pretty sure Atkins allows vegetables, but maybe some starchy vegetables are banned.

If you find it difficult to go low-carb, then Atkins probably isn't the right diet for you. There are plenty of good diets that allow carbs. You may want to consider the Mediterranean diet.

If you eat carbs, then make sure you only eat healthy carbs such as vegetables, fruits, beans, and whole grains. Avoid refined carbs (e.g. white bread, white rice). If it says "wheat flour" or "enriched wheat flour" in the ingredients, then it's not whole grain.
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote