Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-29-2018, 09:08 AM   #1  

Default How do you actually feel about exercising?

I have reached to the realisation that I don't like exercising. I have done it for long, and I love the results, but no, I don't genuinely like the process.

Anyone else feeling the same?
Dietor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:36 PM   #2  

I like exercising, it is good, the process of exercising for me is easy and simple.

Last edited by Good Weight Loss; 10-29-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Good Weight Loss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:18 PM   #3  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

For me it depends on the exercise. For example, I have no love for ab exercises. I hate doing crunches and such. But I don't mind stability exercises that incorporate the abs. So I do those instead. I'm not a fan of long bouts of cardio, so I do HIIT instead- get it done, get out. I love hiking, though, and I do that a lot. It doesn't feel like exercise to me.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:00 PM   #4  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

well, it varies. It can be a resentful slog, and then again it can be a joyous endorphin-fest that lasts for hours - and that range of feelings goes for doing exactly the same thing, just on different days! And you never know which one you're going to get before you start (in fact I most often have a high on the days I really don't feel like starting).

luckily I do like pushing myself, but normally only when I've already done some work - eg I like running when I can already run, and I like the feeling of lifting weights when I already have some muscle to push against. The hard bit is the first few weeks when you don't feel to have the right muscles/cardio capacity/whatever, to really feel and push at what you're trying to do - and then everything is hard and it doesn't feel right, so i'm guessing a lot of people that don't like exercising haven't got beyond that bit?

ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:30 AM   #5  

Before I exercise I loathe it. I don't want to do it -- not at all. But, once I start and immediately after exercising I like it. Not always -- sometimes I still think to myself "this sucks".

Lately, I am struggling with starting. I've tried inspiring myself with hard workouts that promise results and the dread factor become too much. I tried switching to easy workouts but get discouraged as my mind chatter convinces me that it isn't enough to make a difference. It sounds like excuses because it is. I don't really like exercising.

For a while I believed that study that exercise doesn't do much for weight loss. So, I got out of the habit. Getting back in the habit has been a struggle. I think that study didn't give enough credit to exercise for the benefit of insulin regulation.

I was my own study of one. I read about a person on reddit who lost weigh by making sure his blood sugar was under 100 before he would have a meal. It was quite interesting and it was something I read after I found out my fasting blood sugar was 115 -- barely below the level associated with type 2 diabetes. So, I did started testing and did the same thing. I found out from testing myself that I absolutely could not get under 100 in the morning without exercising the day before. I needed to exercise 45 minutes - 1 hour. And, it needed to be low intensity. If I did a hard workout my morning blood sugar level would be unchanged (above 100). Even knowing that I need to exercise to regulate my blood sugar I will have a hard time getting started and making it a habit.
GinaXOXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:11 PM   #6  
Natural Living Hippie

Exercising is like breathing to me, I may not do it as often but it is absolutely needed. I have found exercise to be a great inner power booster, stress reliever, and sleep remedy.

If a person says they don't enjoy it, focusing on changing up your preception will improve that. I believe it's all about the perception a person has about the feelings and thoughts they are having while exercising and afterward, that determines if they "like" it.

I say with much positivity, LEARN to love it as a part of your being.
DuchessofNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:35 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaXOXO View Post
Before I exercise I loathe it. I don't want to do it -- not at all. But, once I start and immediately after exercising I like it. Not always -- sometimes I still think to myself "this sucks".

Lately, I am struggling with starting. I've tried inspiring myself with hard workouts that promise results and the dread factor become too much. I tried switching to easy workouts but get discouraged as my mind chatter convinces me that it isn't enough to make a difference. It sounds like excuses because it is. I don't really like exercising.

For a while I believed that study that exercise doesn't do much for weight loss. So, I got out of the habit. Getting back in the habit has been a struggle. I think that study didn't give enough credit to exercise for the benefit of insulin regulation.

I was my own study of one. I read about a person on reddit who lost weigh by making sure his blood sugar was under 100 before he would have a meal. It was quite interesting and it was something I read after I found out my fasting blood sugar was 115 -- barely below the level associated with type 2 diabetes. So, I did started testing and did the same thing. I found out from testing myself that I absolutely could not get under 100 in the morning without exercising the day before. I needed to exercise 45 minutes - 1 hour. And, it needed to be low intensity. If I did a hard workout my morning blood sugar level would be unchanged (above 100). Even knowing that I need to exercise to regulate my blood sugar I will have a hard time getting started and making it a habit.
Very interesting post, Gina. I too hate the thought of exercise. I tell myself I will do 15 min, and then once I get going I'm in the mode and I continue on longer. I know how great I'm going to feel afterwards, so I don't understand the struggle to get myself moving.

I am type 2 diabetic. I was full blown before I knew it, so didn't get the opportunity to make corrective steps while in Pre-diabetic territory. I agree that exercise is important for blood sugar control, and also that it should be low intensity. Even though it doesn't contribute directly to weight loss (you won't wake up tomorrow 5 lbs lighter because you exercised) it contributes indirectly. It effects changes to your hormones and bodily functions which eventually contribute to weight loss and when done regularly, it helps control appetite. It's an injustice for any weight loss plan to say "No exercise needed."

Good luck to you on your continuing journey.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:33 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 243/147/121 Size: 3X/10/4

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietor View Post
I have reached to the realisation that I don't like exercising. I have done it for long, and I love the results, but no, I don't genuinely like the process.

Anyone else feeling the same?
I'm like you - willing to do what's necessary to get results, but I'd be very happy doing nothing if I could get away with it.

That said, I like exercising now more than I used to. Having gotten in good enough shape now that I can jog on the treadmill, I enjoy the benefits - like stress relief, a mental break, and "me" time to listen to music and/or think. I also enjoy lifting more than I used to, because my muscles are getting more and more prominent and I can see that when they're under tension. In general, I enjoy earning my self-respect, which I do with every workout.

I also recently rediscovered my love for roller skating and am getting a pair of roller blades for Christmas that I can't wait to try out. That's the only activity I've ever done that didn't feel like exercise because I enjoyed it so much. I actually forgot that I'm back to a normal size now, so things that were previously out of the question, like skating, are options again.

Last edited by Noxqsleft; 11-18-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Noxqsleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:14 PM   #9  

I personally love it, I think is difficult at first but once you really get into and start adapting to the lifestyle of healthy living – it's fun. It also great for stress and for mental clarity
JamesLifeHealhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:20 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 377/350/180

Height: 6'0"

To say I like the actual exercise? Not exactly, but do I enjoy getting stronger? Yup, Do I enjoy better cardio capacity? Yes... and once I get decent at a particular exercise I get a sense of accomplishment. For example a year ago I couldn't do a lat pull-down properly to save my life, now every-time I up the weights I celebrate and am so happy, because I remember crying last January because my back was so weak (and I had no concept of how to engage my back muscles) I am thankful every day for the friends who were there to help me through the tears, the other friends who held me accountable "see you at the gym" and last but not least my personal trainer (and friend) who helped me regain focus and give direction to my training the past September. I enjoy being a "gym-person" and having that be my stress release.

On a side note I love things that feel like dancing, I loved step aerobics when they were offered in my town, when I could do the combos and felt like flying. When My cardio is decent i love the FEELING of the elliptical, I feel like I'm flying. So I enjoy exercise that makes me feel like flying haha. And when I'm in good enough shape that it doesn't hurt my hips and back I enjoy walking outdoors.
silentarctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:14 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 265/148/132-136

Height: 5'6" - 64 YO

I absolutely hate the resistance training I am doing and LOVE walking - that said, my body needs enough of this (bodyweight fitness) to be strong, limber, and healthy so I am trying to just make it automatic every morning. My husband and I are working with a trainer who we have coming to our house every 4-6 weeks to assess progress and give us direction. .... I know myself well enough that dragging out of bed and going to a gym is not in the works.....Maybe after more time I will enjoy the resistance training...........
grannynancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:18 AM   #12  

I'm always looking for new exercise routines to try!
JessieP16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:15 AM   #13  
Mistress of my destiny

S/C/G: 234.6/166.2/154

Height: 5'6"

I hate it. I only exercise to specific results. Lately I have been hiking more because I’m going on a vacation that includes hiking and don’t want to embarrass myself or slow down the group.

I have to trick myself to complete specific workouts. When I hike, I take paths that I can’t easily turn back on. They tend to run in loops so I have to continue going forward to complete the hike. Or I take classes and position myself so I can’t sneak out a side door. If I’m in the middle of a yoga studio it’s harder to leave until the class is finished.

I’m jealous of people who get an endorphin rush or who genuinely love exercise.
etherbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 01:56 AM   #14  

Results don't come without process. So you must follow the process and try to enjoy it.
henrybarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 11:20 AM   #15  
amber

S/C/G: 318/288.8/220

Height: 5'5"

It's not about wanting to or motivation, no one is motivated 100% of the time. It's about discipline. I do it, I like what I get from it, weight loss, muscle etc. Do I enjoy it- most of the time no. Which is why I do 30 minutes a day and typically walk at night, I enjoy walking but not my exercise that I force myself to do. I did enjoy Zumba, still probably would but I'm trying different things.
ButterCup85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exercising