Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-25-2018, 03:26 PM   #1  

Default Which do you prefer BMI or waist to height ratio ?

Both seem tough to meet their parameters for healthy ! It seems with waist to height the basic idea is to get your waist to be half your height or less and BMI wants you to be under 25.

The BMI seems more realistic to meet for me. At 71" tall my weight needs to be 189 to achieve a 24.9 BMI, I estimate my waist would still be at least 40" at that point ( 290 lbs and 53" waist now), so I would still be at least 4.5" too big around the tummy to pass the W/H test.

Does anyone think that one is easier ? I bet only about 20% of Americans pass that one ?
FrankB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:40 PM   #2  
Tough Turtle

S/C/G: 199/183/115-120

Height: 5 ft 4 in

My waist is already less than half my height and I'm definitely over weight so I don't get how that could be accurate at all.

I think BMI fits me well because I am not very muscular.
bloominbutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:35 AM   #3  

Thank you so much for sharing
kayisse10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:50 PM   #4  

I recently looked up my BMI and it says I'm way overweight. This is a good post for me because it puts in a little better perspective on how I should look at it. Thanks
kwlbrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:18 PM   #5  

Frank B, I think that you should go first with what suits you best namely what you think it is easily attainable.After reaching the easier one, you will be motivated enough to tackle the difficult one.
gregg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Sound advice. I can't face the tape measure yet, but I am only a pound or two into the overweight category. I know from experience that my waist will still be significantly more than half my height for a while after that. I'm doing what I can, and finding a weight I can reach and sustain is the main thing. But ideally, yes, I would like to tick off both.

Last edited by Esofia; 09-15-2018 at 07:12 PM.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote