Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-19-2018, 10:51 AM   #1  

Default What are your favorite go tos?

When doing a calorie deficit diet plan, what are your favorite go to foods?

Someone posted her favorite bread that has very low cal and I forgot the name! But that is one example. I'm going to try a Caulipower Pizza so maybe that will be a nice pizza replacement once in awhile.

Let's share everyone's finds!
e_boh312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Zoodles and cauliflower rice!
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:24 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealProteinNewbie View Post
Zoodles and cauliflower rice!
I really need to get with the zoodles program!
Old 07-20-2018, 10:38 AM   #4  
Shorty getting fit

S/C/G: 162/132/119

Homemade soup! The kinds I make usually come out to just under 250 calories per *enormous* bowl. I love soup, so it doesn't feel at all like deprivation. Just feels like I'm eating something I really enjoy. That it happens to fill me up for relatively few calories makes a deficit much easier for me. I'm a weirdo though who can happily eat soup year round.

I similarly enjoy big salads, but they're not quite as effective for me bc I have to work a bit at limiting their calories. Plus, too much raw veg started bothering my stomach a few years back, so it's not something I can eat that often anymore.
Chunkahlunkah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:41 AM   #5  
Shorty getting fit

Also fish. Most are very low calorie. Salmon's one on the higher end calorically, but even it isn't bad imo, and the healthy omega 3's it provides more than makes up for the additional calories. I've been eating a lot of salmon and cod lately (both wild). Cod is ridiculously low in calories.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:34 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkahlunkah View Post
Homemade soup! The kinds I make usually come out to just under 250 calories per *enormous* bowl. I love soup, so it doesn't feel at all like deprivation. Just feels like I'm eating something I really enjoy. That it happens to fill me up for relatively few calories makes a deficit much easier for me. I'm a weirdo though who can happily eat soup year round.

I similarly enjoy big salads, but they're not quite as effective for me bc I have to work a bit at limiting their calories. Plus, too much raw veg started bothering my stomach a few years back, so it's not something I can eat that often anymore.
Do you have any good cold soup recommendations? Although that doesn't sound good... I'm one of those that have to eat soup when it's cold outside lol! Come on fall!!
Old 07-22-2018, 08:59 AM   #7  

I was going to post about soup and then saw Chunkahlunkah had already done so. She is the one who got me excited about it.
I used to make gazpacho for a cold soup. The easy version was to use a big can of tomato juice as a base and add a lot of chopped bell pepper, cucumber, sweet red onion, garlic powder, maybe cilantro or worcestershire sauce or lemon juice. It's refreshing in hot weather, and you can fill up on it.

Two other things I like: spaghetti made with spaghetti squash instead of pasta, and garlic mashed potatoes with cauliflower instead of potatoes. I've actually come to prefer these versions because I can eat to fullness without that bloated feeling from the carbier versions.

Last edited by Sundove; 07-22-2018 at 09:00 AM.
Sundove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:03 AM   #8  
Shorty getting fit

Another go-to I have that's more fitting for the summer than my soup mention is fresh fruit. I actually hadn't been eating much fruit for years, only 1 piece a day at most, and usually none. I'd gotten into a low carb way of eating, and stuck mostly with veg. Lately though, I've been eating 2 or 3 servings a day. I've realized that I find fruit filling so long as I eat it with a meal or shortly before one. It helps me keep my calories lower over the course of the whole day when I include it, and it's so good! I've been especially enjoying peaches, watermelon, and berries this summer. I didn't have any this past week, but I'll stock up more at the store today. I just wish it weren't so expensive!

Sundove - I've never had gazpacho, should definitely give it a try, especially since I like the sound of an easy version.

Last edited by Chunkahlunkah; 07-23-2018 at 04:05 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:50 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundove View Post
I was going to post about soup and then saw Chunkahlunkah had already done so. She is the one who got me excited about it.
I used to make gazpacho for a cold soup. The easy version was to use a big can of tomato juice as a base and add a lot of chopped bell pepper, cucumber, sweet red onion, garlic powder, maybe cilantro or worcestershire sauce or lemon juice. It's refreshing in hot weather, and you can fill up on it.

Two other things I like: spaghetti made with spaghetti squash instead of pasta, and garlic mashed potatoes with cauliflower instead of potatoes. I've actually come to prefer these versions because I can eat to fullness without that bloated feeling from the carbier versions.
Wow! That sounds AMAZING! Tomato based soups are soooooo yummy! I will look up some recipes! When you said you preferred cauliflower to potatoes because of the bloated feeling you don't get, I felt that haha!
Old 07-23-2018, 02:53 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkahlunkah View Post
Another go-to I have that's more fitting for the summer than my soup mention is fresh fruit. I actually hadn't been eating much fruit for years, only 1 piece a day at most, and usually none. I'd gotten into a low carb way of eating, and stuck mostly with veg. Lately though, I've been eating 2 or 3 servings a day. I've realized that I find fruit filling so long as I eat it with a meal or shortly before one. It helps me keep my calories lower over the course of the whole day when I include it, and it's so good! I've been especially enjoying peaches, watermelon, and berries this summer. I didn't have any this past week, but I'll stock up more at the store today. I just wish it weren't so expensive!
Same here with fruit. I just never eat a lot of it. Summer time is the time of the year that I eat more fruits because of all the yummy berries that are in season. Right now peaches are in season and they are my go to.