Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:45 PM   #1  

Height: 4'9"

Default Weight Loss w/ 3 Herniated Discs & Sciatica (OUCH!)

Good evening, all of you fine people. I have visited your forums many times for this n' that; however, I felt it was time to register and possibly get some advice from a few of you.

I am a 44-year-old female standing 4' 9" tall. I have had sciatica on & off since late 1998. Back then my L4 lumbar was herniated while I was pregnant with my fourth child. The pain fluctuated for a number of years. Sometimes it was very manageable and other times it was downright excruciating.

The pain managed to disappear in 2010 after a work comp accident (go figure) and then re-appeared in June 2017, about 6 weeks after I had tummy tuck and breast lift surgery. My updated MRI results depicted L4, L5 and S1 were bulging with S1 possibly being the culprit of the sciatic pain this time around, and in the opposite leg.

Needless to say, shortly after my surgery I started to gain weight. My doctor put me on Phentermine; however, I can't handle the severe anxiety side-effects of the Phentermine, so I stopped taking it. I haven't stopped gaining weight, and I am unable to exercise.

I was seeing a chiropractor while receiving acupuncture and physical therapy up until a few weeks ago. I also stopped taking my prescription muscle relaxant and anti-inflammatory medications due to unwanted psychological effects. I also had to stop all of it temporarily due to finances being tight, and I no longer have health insurance.

Thankfully, the pain is only a quarter of what it was last summer, but exercise remains out-of-reach.

Calorie restricted diets don't seem to work for me unless I remain on one that is 700 calories or less per day for the rest of my life. Low carb also doesn't seem to make a difference anymore, which worked for a long time.

Diabetes and thyroid issues both run in my family; however, none of my blood tests have revealed anything concerning. My metabolism is DEAD. I honestly have no idea what I should do at this point.

Has anyone been through anything like this? I could really use some advice!

Last edited by ladychurch; 04-16-2018 at 09:55 PM.
ladychurch is offline   Reply With Quote