Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-10-2017, 02:44 PM   #1  

Default Ugh, aches and pains

So on the 1st I bought a bike. My car has broken down and I need cheap transportation to work. The initial outgo for a bike wasn't cheap, but it should pay for itself in the end, right?

I felt confident enough to start commuting two days ago. Yeah, I was chicken enough to stall for a couple of days. It's a simple commute, 3 miles away, I stay on the same road. And now every part of my body hurts.

The worst is my rear, my tailbone hurts really bad. It also stiffens if I stand for too long, which makes the act of sitting or squatting really, really hard and painful.

Next worst is my shoulders, upper arms and chest. I keep my bike inside and I don't want to bounce my bike up and down the curb and porch steps, so I carry it to and from the parking lot, about 15-20 feet. And the bike plus accessories is about 45 pounds. (My newly healed, formerly torn ligament in my shoulder is really, really protesting the weight lifting and is loud in telling me that until a month ago my doctor-imposed weight limit was 10 pounds. I'm loudly telling it to shut up and reminding it that my doctor lifted the limit last month.)

My legs kinda have an achy feel to them, and the muscles are tense, which I can tell when I stretch them. I thought they would hurt the most, but not really. Yesterday though was harder to bike than the day before.

So....when do the aches and pains go away? I need to hear it's not forever.
rachel120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:52 PM   #2  
Blessed Person Here

S/C/G: Going/Still going/Gone

Height: 5' 1''

***It's not forever*** yaay!
Former static biker here, and I have an idea how a riding bike can hurt afterwards. IMO you should google stretching moves for bikers and make it a point to stretch when you reach your destination in order to minimize the pain for the meantime. Eventually your muscles will adapt and the pain will go.
I do envy you and your bike! I wish I could go to work on a bycicle. But I live in a country where people drive crazily and there's virtually no space for bicycles and no consideration for bike riders.
Good luck.
thirti4thirty is offline   Reply With Quote