General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 11-03-2016, 02:02 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 243/218/160

Height: 5'3

Default Sugar Intake Control

Hello All -

About 5 years ago I list 60lbs in about 8 months through common sense dieting and exercise. I watched my sugar in1take - nothing (read: no processed foods) with more than 5 grams of sugar per serving. I am beginning to employ that same method again because after making that change, weight started literally falling off of me. Currently, I eat a lot of eggs, raw veggies, fruits, and poultry about twice per week, with limited processed foods. I do like a good Kashi granola bar or other similar granola products for between meal snacks. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on good, healthy, pro-weightloss foods with less than 5g sugar.

PS- please don't tell me to cut out fruit bc of sugar. I'm talking about processed sugars, not natural sugars.

Thanks!!
aliisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 06:28 AM   #2  
EarlyBirdToo

S/C/G: 251/193/160

Height: 5/5

Hi Good for you! I lost 52 lbs and have maintained a year so far! By cutting out all processed foods and going natural. I eat everything as long as it isn't processed. I don't eat sugar at all, unless it is ! No granola bars. I make my own chocolate almond zucchini pound cakes and Asiago Zucchini bread( both made with almond flour. No white or whole wheat flour) and slice and freeze it individually. Take it out and have a snack in a few minutes. There are so many good food to eat and they taste so much better than processed food.My only obstacle is prep. It takes time and planning for prep. Whereas its so easy to just grab a processed candy bar, or granola bar, or anything right out of the box! Fruit is awesome! I went through a thing where strict low carbers were telling me not to eat fruit...balony!! Go for the fruit.Some fruits, of course, moderation, especially bananas cause the contain a ton of carbs! KUTGW! WTG!!
You ask for suggestions, so I'm including recipes for chocolate Zucchini cupcakes! Enjoy! ( they freeze nicely.I make a double batch) also, I cant find mascarpone cheese, so I have used cream cheese. If I plan on freezing them,I skip the frosting, not sure how the frosting would freeze.) they r good frosted or not.I sometimes add walnuts as well!

Cuisine: American
Serves: 8 cupcakes
INGREDIENTS
For the cupcakes:
6 Tbsp butter, melted
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ cup almond milk
¼ cup shredded zucchini, packed
1 cup almond flour
3 Tbsp coconut flour
¼ cup granulated sugar substitute (I used Swerve)
3 Tbsp premium cocoa powder
¼ tsp xanthan gum
pinch of salt
2 tsp baking powder

For the frosting:
½ cup mascarpone cheese, softened
3 Tbsp Swerve Confectioners
¼ tsp coffee extract
¼ tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp premium cocoa powder
½ cup heavy whipping cream
INSTRUCTIONS
To make the cupcakes:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (F)
Combine the wet ingredients (butter, eggs, vanilla extract, almond milk, zucchini) in a magic bullet or blender and blend for 20-30 seconds or until smooth.
Combine the dry ingredients (almond flour, coconut flour, sweetener, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, xanthan gum) in a medium bowl and stir until mixed and there are no lumps.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until the liquid is absorbed and a thick batter is formed.
Spoon the batter evenly into 8 cupcake liners or greased tins.
Bake at 350 degrees (F) for 22 minutes. Remove and cool before frosting.
To make the frosting:
Combine the softened Mascarpone cheese, sweetener, coffee extract, vanilla extract, and cocoa powder in a small bowl and mix gently with a fork until smooth. (Don't mix too aggressively or your Mascarpone will separate!)
In a large bowl, beat the heavy whipping cream until stiff.
Mix ⅓ of the whipped cream gently into your mascarpone mixture until smooth.
Fold (GENTLY) the Mascarpone mixture into the remaining whipped cream until all streaks of white are gone and the mixture is smooth but still fluffy.
Spread or pipe onto your cooled cupcakes.
Chill to store, but these are best served at room temperature.
NOTES
To see a list of my favorite low carb products and brands that I recommend for sweeteners, flours, etc. you can check out the IBIH Pantry Ingredients Page!

Approximate nutrition information per serving:

1 cupcake no frosting: 193 calories, 21g fat, 2.7g net carbs, 5g protein

1 cupcake with frosting: 318 calories, 33g fat, 3.5g net carbs, 7g protein

Note: I used organic heavy whipping cream which has no fillers and therefore only trace amounts of carbs. If you use regular, add about .5g net carbs per frosted cupcake.

Last edited by Earlybirdtoo; 11-03-2016 at 06:39 AM.
Earlybirdtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 06:41 AM   #3  
EarlyBirdToo

S/C/G: 251/193/160

Height: 5/5

I dont know why the frosting ingredients list did not come thru. Here is the frosting recipe. Perhaps the post was to long?
For the frosting:
¼ tsp coffee extract
¼ tsp vanilla extract
Earlybirdtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:48 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 243/218/160

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlybirdtoo View Post
I dont know why the frosting ingredients list did not come thru. Here is the frosting recipe. Perhaps the post was to long?
For the frosting:
¼ tsp coffee extract
¼ tsp vanilla extract
Thank you soooooo much!
aliisa is offline   Reply With Quote