Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 03-27-2016, 11:01 PM   #1  

Default Accurate Scale?

Does anyone have any suggestions on an accurate scale? My jumps all over the place (just by stepping off then back on.) and this seems to be a common complaint in reviews I have looked at. I don't have the money for trial and error and want to make the right purchase first so any recommendations, thoughts, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
tucotucyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:43 PM   #2  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

You can get a reasonably priced digital scale, at any big box store. Wal mart, Target, Sams, Costco, whatever, for under $50.

The thing is, get on it, at the same time, under the same criteria. Get off, and let it go.

The scale defines your bodies relationship, with gravity. Nothing more, nothing less.

A scale is a tool. But it is not the end all be all, in our journey.

Are you healthier? Are you making better food choices? Are you more active? Have your clothing sizes changed? Have you gotten to a point that you can ditch some meds? Can you now walk 2 miles without thinking you are going to faint, when before, a block was a struggle?

I bought my digital scale at Wal-Mart. I've had it for 6 years. It's cool, and pretty, clear glass, digital display.

I step on each morning, same criteria. Naked, went to the restroom.

It varies, depending on, what I ate, did I lift? Lifting, always gives me next day gain, due to water retention, for muscle repair. Food, makes difference. Processed crap, WOW!

I would worry less about an accurate scale, and pay more attention to tracking, and learning, how what you do affects the number. It's data! Nothing more, nothing less.

At the same time, if you get into lifting, your weight might not change, but your size and shape will!

Love me some weight lifting!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:01 AM   #3  

Thank you; I am already doing as you suggested but am a work in progress. I'm not obsessed with the scale or numbers; but use it at a reference and guide. I believe part of the issue is centering myself on the scale due to my large size and therefore gives very different readings; so one with that has more of surface area that hits the floor, or a leveler, or is just more accurate in general would be beneficial. At the end of the week not knowing if I gained 3 pounds or lost 3 pounds makes it hard to reflect and know which areas to work on. A cheap walmart scale may work but if it's inaccurate as my current one I will just be wasting money; so if you have any certain brands I can look into that would be great.
tucotucyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:22 AM   #4  

The only accurate scale is the balance beam type in doctor's offices and they have to be calibrated yearly to be really accurate. You are putting too much emphasis on the numbers. You know if your clothes are getting looser, if you ate well during the week or ate emotions or for comfort, etc. Those are the areas that you need to work on. The scale is a tool but it is not always an accurate indication of what is going on in your body. I can gain 3 pounds overnight if I have Chinese food for dinner. At least that is what the scale says. I know I didn't put 3 pounds of fat on and it will be gone in a day or two.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:39 PM   #5  

also be sure to always use only your scale that you have at home.. the scale in my local gym and at work shows a little different numbers
Annie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:13 AM   #6  
go ticker go!

S/C/G: 291/245.4/195

Height: 5'10"

I believe the OP was looking for specific brand recommendations, not advice.

I have the EatSmart Precision Digital Bathroom Scale, and you can get it for less than $30 on amazon. Its accurate right down to the 0.1. I've had it for a few years, no problems.

Last edited by begoodjen; 04-06-2016 at 10:14 AM.
begoodjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:35 PM   #7  

Whoops I didn't paste the link to the scale I described above! Just noticed that when I read Begoodjen's rec.

http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Touch-To...keywords=ozeri

Here's repeat of my description above, 'It's gone down in price-I paid ~50 a few yrs ago! It is right in synch with my doctor's office weigh ins, and consistent as long as I weigh on a hard surface (if you are weighing on carpet, that could be why your numbers change). It's digital so shouldn't be stored in a humid environment like the bathroom.

When I weigh, I step on once and let it register, then get off & let the screen go blank and step on again. The second number is lower, and it stays consistent if I get on a 3rd & 4th time.

It also gives a number for fat%, muscle % and bone. I don't think they are accurate but I've noticed they are consistent day to day.'

Last edited by Sundove; 04-07-2016 at 10:36 PM.
Sundove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:01 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 211.2/194.8/170

Height: 5'10"

Wink

My husband misunderstood me when I answered what I thought was "Can I use your scale?" instead of "Can I toss your scale?" So when I went to go weigh myself I learned he threw away my WW scale. Sigh.

So I have Amazon Prime and will look these scales up. While I weigh in at WW once a week and usually go by how my clothes fit and not focus on the # on the scale as much, I also like to check it at home.

Thanks for the info!
Bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:02 PM   #9  
Shorty getting fit

S/C/G: 162/132/119

I have this one from Amazon. It's selling now at $17.99. I've only had it since June, but the accuracy's been excellent so far.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01G4...470872940&sr=1

Sundove - Interesting, I never knew that humidity could damage a digital scale.
Chunkahlunkah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:47 PM   #10  
♡ Desire2B ♡

S/C/G: 206ish - mini goal 195

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

Mine is a digital one from Lowe's but tbh I think the measuring tape is most effective. For me anyway. Until I'm closer to goal I'll argue with my scale and keep my M.tape around for check ins..
Desire2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:49 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 180/165/145

I put the scale on exact spot every time. I have three scales and they more or less show different weights when you change the place. Try the EatSmart Precision scale.
SSnooze is offline   Reply With Quote