Old 02-23-2016, 12:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 318/211/140

Height: 5'2"

Default Glipizide vs. Januvia vs. Byetta

Hi all,

I am wondering if any of you can give me feedback on your experiences with Januvia or Byetta.

Currently, I am on Glipizide 5mg per day. I was on 7.5 but that seemed to be causing too many low blood sugars with my last two A1C readings being 5.6 and 5.8. 5mg doesn't seem to be quite enough and I am noticing higher readings post meal time. My physician agrees and says we need to either go back up to 7.5 mg or switch medications.

Long story short, my physician has given me the option to try Januvia or Byetta. She has not prescribed either medication too much yet, she doesn't like to jump on new medication bandwagons. She is starting to prescribe these more now as she feels they have been on the market for a good amount of time. We had a long discussion, we talked about pros and cons and even potential cost each month. I have spent a good portion of time researching online and have spoken with my husband (who is not thrilled with the possible side effects). What I am looking for now is some "real world" experiences to add to the rest of my research.

I do have insurance, but even so, because of the nongeneric formula, it will cost me about $50 per 30 days as opposed to the $14 for 90 days I pay now. While I don't want that to be the deciding factor, it is worth taking into consideration along with all the other information.

So...any feedback will be appreciated.
Mainah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I don't want to ignore your post, but I have no experience with any of the drugs you've mentioned. Maybe someone else will. Otherwise, the best thing you can do is research each one and make the decision that's best for you, while discussing the options with your doctor. You can also look into getting financial help with one of the more expensive drugs.

Good luck to you.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:21 PM   #3  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

no experience with either med, but the A1Cs are fine at 5.6 and 5.8
Anything less that 6.0 is considered normal, and non-diabetic. I applaud you and your doc wanting normal sugars, (some docs work towards "diabetic" normals, which are higher, and I think we should aim for non-diabetic numbers, unless we can't achieve that)
Did I read right that you have having trouble with low blood sugars on the glipizide? Something that minimizing those risks would be helpful and healthy, IMHO
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:37 PM   #4  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Also noticed you didn't mention if you are on Metformin, or you are someone who really couldn't handle it.
Metformin is old, safe, and other than the gas and bowel issues, which usually get better after a few weeks, has no serious side effects, unlike the other meds you are considering.
You said you have been researching them, but they have some serious risks. (have you visited the site bloodsugar101.com ? it has a great table about meds, comparing them and their risks and benefits. )
So it is a decision to make carefully and with your doctor. You must appreciate that she isn't one to jump on the bandwagon, as she is looking out for her patients' best interest.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:19 PM   #5  
Slow and sure chick

I'm on Metformin and Januvia.
I've had no side effects with Januvia.
Byetta is injected, Januvia's a pill.
Watercolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:11 PM   #6  

Height: 5'3"

I've been on Januvia for a few weeks now and so far I like it. It's helped my bs better than anything has for a long time. I am also on Metformin and Amaryl. The Amaryl made me gain weight and I'd like to get off it. I have never accepted Byetta when it was suggested because I don't want to take an injectable.

ETA: You mentioned lows...I do notice my bs will drop much more in the mornings. I had one 88 but that was the lowest I think...mostly just much lower than I'm used to and I do have symptoms.

Last edited by maryea; 05-24-2016 at 04:16 PM.
maryea is offline   Reply With Quote