Old 01-18-2016, 05:02 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #131

Good Afternoon! It's a teeny tiny bit warmer today at 5 degrees right now. It's been cloudy all day along with the wind. We are supposed to get snow tonight and tomorrow. I was finished at church before 9 this morning, picked up the gift shop money and had that deposited before lunch. Lunch was a catered soup and pie social at a P.E.O. member's lake home. It was nice to just sit and visit without having a meeting.

Maggie, I had to chuckle at your dishwasher named Maggie. I don't mind doing dishes but I miss having a window over my sink. In our other house my sink window faced the back yard and I could keep an eye on the kids playing outside.

"Gma," it takes time to bounce back after having surgery and losing some of your parts. I hope you feel back to normal soon. How was lunch with Jay?

I have towels in the dryer to fold and put away. Bob has three meetings right in a row tonight, and I have card club. I almost wish I could stay home because it's so cold. Hope you all enjoy a nice evening!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:40 AM   #2  

Good morning everyone! It is very cold here again this morning though no moisture until tomorrow. We scheduled the deck clean up for tomorrow but Jack is going to reschedule as it is supposed to start raining tonight and continue until around noon. Wet leaves are hard to clean up and I don't want the man on a two story ladder cleaning my eaves either.

We went to WM and got the few things we needed and came back home and put stuff away. I was all in by the time we were home.

I weighed myself this morning and am down a few lbs. I am not sure how many because with the surgery I hadn't weighed myself. I know I've lost about 10 lbs since my surgery two weeks ago. I am back to feeling like eating regularly so we shall see what happens.

Jean: We had a nice lunch with Jay and Kelly. Thomas was with his dad. They were telling us some hilarious stories about the boys at Thanksgiving. We only visited for about an hour but it was nice. We're going to Indiana in June for several days. I guess we should start the next thread at one again. I just happen to think about it being a new year.

Everyone have a good Tuesday.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:18 AM   #3  

Good morning, ladies! A nippy 15 degrees right now and not warming up much today. Normal low for this day is 32 degrees. I am not going out today. The cold air is very hard on my breathing.

I'm supposed to have quilting bee tonight and tomorrow as well but if it doesn't warm up, I'm staying in. By this time last year I'd had bronchitis twice and I sure don't want that again.

Today is going to be fun (at least for a fabricholic). I'm going to pull fabric for a new applique block and a whole new king-size quilt from my stash. Such fun!

I bought an Instant Pot yesterday. It is electric and has 6 functions: browning/sauting, rice cooker, slow cooker (with 3 temperatures), pressure cooker, steamer and warmer. I've looked at them for several months and decided to get one since I got a $400 gift card from Verizon. I've had stovetop pressure cookers before and loved them.

Faye, I was really sad to hear Alan Rickman died. He wasn't all that old, either. He played his part so well. Can you believe its been 20 years since HP started! I have all the movies as well as the books. I'm sure it was great to see your son. I haven't gained back but 7 pounds of the weight I lost with my surgery. The doc would like to see me with 3-5 more but it's stable now with the way I eat and I'm not going to eat junk just to gain more. Heaven only knows if I opened that door again I might never be able to get it closed and end up the fat lady in the circus. We haven't started over with 1 on the thread each year for about 3 years.

Jean, thanks for starting the new thread. I love soup all year but especially when its cold out. We might be getting more snow on Sunday.

Maggie, I do take my blood pressure at home and keep a record for the doc. When I go to see him, I take my monitor and check it with his reading. It's been spot on. I have an Omni BP meter. My BP is low normally, around 100-105/59-65, but sometimes it gets even lower and I get dizzy. It seems to be a bit higher when I don't exercise. Susan the Dishwasher is lazy at this house so we have a machine to do the job. They also use less water and we sometimes have water restriction in the summer. I've never liked washing dishes. I used to cry while I was doing it when I was a kid.

Have a wonderful day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:06 PM   #4  

Good Afternoon! It is seriously snowing and has been since mid morning. It's 10 degrees out but feels much colder with the wind. I'd love to see the sun but guess it's not to be today. I stopped by the library to drop off three books, two of which just couldn't keep my interest. Picked up an old Nora Roberts paperback that I haven't read so will give that a try. Decided to get a perm since my hair has gone so limp because of the dry weather. I debated all last week and called yesterday thinking I might not be able to get in before we leave. Since my hair is so short I was hoping it wouldn't take long, but three hours later I am home again. Have laundry going and need to do something else constructive. Also need to visit the dreadmill.

"Gma," a summer (nice weather) trip to Indiana will be fun to look forward to. Any weight loss is good but your recent loss is not a fun way to do it. Sorry, but guess I didn't realize we started with a #1 thread in the new year. I don't know how to change it now.

Susan, you are really having some winter temps! You are wise to stay inside where it's warm! Is your new pot just called an Instant Pot? A $400 gift card would be so fun! Sounds interesting. I have never used a pressure cooker, I guess mainly because my mom didn't have one. Bob's mom did however, and she gave one to me and also to a sister-in-law who had never used one. Neither of us knew how to use it so never did. You must have a lot of fabric on hand to make a kind sized quilt. Have fun!

Hope you all are having a more fun day than I! Keep warm and enjoy!

Last edited by Jean; 01-19-2016 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:32 PM   #5  
Thin Within

Talking Tuesday Afternoon

GOOD AFTERNOON IN JANUARY MAGNOLIAS

It is a beautiful day here with a slight breeze blowing which makes it pleasant. Will is snoozing which is his only side effect from those chemo pills he takes now instead of the liquid drips. Of course Beanie has to get on the bed and snuggle up close to him and take a snooze also.

We have been to the Laundromat to have our clothes and other things washed and back again and picked them up. It is actually cheaper to have that lady do our laundry than for us to use the machine and shove money in the slot then again to the dryer. She does an excellent job and folds the ones needed and the other ones on hangers.

The water didn’t freeze last night for it was actually warm so I was able to get my dishes done. I don’t like it at all to leave them undone over night but I got them done quickly this morning. There they were in the sink for I don’t have a dishwasher to hide them in.

SUSAN I wear my Fitbid on with the buckle on the outside so the “works” are on my wrist and the pulse rate it shows on it is correct. Which model of a Fitbid do you have for there are several?

JEAN Oh Girlfriend you can keep that weather please. The rain here left nice big puddles in the fields which are slowly being absorbed.

DONNA FAYE It is good that you do take it nice and easy which will help you get back to exact better instead of bashing on regardless.

Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 02:36 PM   #6  
Thin Within

Talking Wonderful Wednesday

I had a real hungry day yesterday and ate some of my extra weekly points but today isn’t like that at all. I had a toasted sandwich with a Ciabata bread bun and ham and shredded cheese with a couple of Cuties. For dinner I will have a can of beef and potato soup to which I will add half a can of green beans to and have some more cuties. I am determined to show a loss this next weigh in since I have had a “maintain” the last couple of weigh-in’s. Yes, a maintain is so much better than a gain but I do want to lose. I am looking forward to doing a happy dance when I have lost 100 pounds which is only 28 pounds away.

We just got back from a nice drive to the market to pick up some milk and veggies. I love fresh veggies to eat raw.

MAGNOLIAS It seems quiet around here today ~ where are you and what are you doing?

Old 01-20-2016, 07:10 PM   #7  

Good Evening! We made a quick trip to Sioux Falls today. It was a cloudy hazy drive and windy. Temperatures hovered around 20. Snow had melted along the shoulder, from deicer salt, on the interstate and covered part of the right lane. We saw several cars in the median and ditch, the drivers evidently didn't realize it was frozen ice and lost control. The main reason for the trip was so Bob could check out a plow and get some new undies at Penneys. Jason was in a meeting and Amanda out of town working, so didn't see them. Most everything at Penneys was on sale and Bob found two golf shirts, a pair of shorts, two plain t-shirts, a belt, plus his undies. While we were having lunch I happened to look at the receipt and noticed we were charged $20 each for the t-shirts which had a sale sign for $7.99. So back we go to Penneys! We had a different clerk from the first time and she gave us an additional 30% off from an online coupon which I didn't have. She included the shorts and belt which weren't on sale, just for the inconvenience of our coming back. I usually save the receipt to check against the credit card statement but for once I was on the ball! My coffee date for tomorrow got canceled due to sciatic nerve issues and physical therapy for my friend. She can stand or lay down but not sit for very long. I have plenty to do around here!

Maggie, I am ready for some "nice" weather! Sunshine would be most welcome! I have been known to leave a pan in the sink overnight but will wash it first thing the next morning. I really like to leave the kitchen picked up and put away after supper. I hate the hungry days! I have a bad habit of going from one cupboard to the next hoping to find something to chew. What night do you go to WW? Good luck!

I need dream up something for supper. We ate a late lunch at Applebee's so not really hungry yet. Their prices have really gone up, like $3.50 more for the salad I usually order. Hope you all enjoy a nice evening!
Old 01-21-2016, 07:35 AM   #8  

Good morning to you all. I hope you all are warm and cozy as it is cold here and ugh we are expecting, rain, snow and ice tonight into tomorrow. At least I don't have to deal with it, but I am going to encourage Jack to take the MKS tomorrow.

We got a call our dishwasher is in, but no one has called about installation. I am hoping we can get it installed on Saturday, but they have to call first. I know Lowes does do some Saturday installations.

We never got our deck cleaned as we got an early morning VM saying he had a death in the family and had to cancel. Jack called him back and told him it was ok and extended our sympathy but we haven't rescheduled yet. That meant Jack blew a vacation day for nothing. He did take me out to what we call "linner." It is a combination of lunch and dinner.

My oldest sister called last night and ask if my brother had contacted me and I said no. She got a cryptic text saying something horrible had happened, but didn't say what it was. She replied with "What?" and hadn't
heard back. He texted her while we were on the phone so I hung up and she called back a couple minutes later and said he texted he couldn't talk but he had lost his job!!! He has been with Ford for about 25 years so we shall see what he says has happened. He will get union rep and all of that so it may not be a done issue. He is in his 50's with serious health issues so even though he has masters degrees and is a licensed electrician he may have problems getting a job. He has a service dog for his diabetes because he will pass out at the drop of a hat. She has saved his life a couple times I know that.

Jean: Oh I am sorry I didn't mean you did anything wrong by continuing the thread number I just laughed because we were up to a high number. It doesn't matter a fig newton to me one way or the other. What a great deal you got. We always look for sales like that and buy off season for the cruises. The department stores are fighting to even stay open with being forced to raise minimum wage and places like Penneys have had problems for years before any of that came up.

Maggie: Being hungry and grazing is the worst. I have to say my medication does help with that a great deal. It is more me just wanting something and I have to just say no to myself that I don't need it.

Susan: Sounds like fun to pull new fabric for a new project. I have a friend who is always posting quilting things on FB all the time and some of the stuff is truly amazing. It is like painting with fabric. I forwarded this cute quilted sleeveless button vest to Kelly because it was so cute.

Everyone have a good day. It is thundering big time here this morning.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:13 AM   #9  

Good morning ladies! 25 degrees heading for low 30s. We had a dusting of snow during the night but expect a mixture of rain and snow starting tomorrow and going on through the weekend with cold.

My Instant Pot arrived yesterday and I made beef stew for dinner - 20 minutes and it was perfect and very flavorful. I think I'm going to love it.

Faye, I can always tell what our weather will be by what's happening for you because we get it a day or two later. I'm so sorry about your brother. He sounds like someone who should be on disability.

Jean, I love my Kindle and smart phone since I download books from the library any time of the day or night and I can just hit delete if I don't like it.
Macy's is closing here and everything is 40% off the lowest ticked price so I really need to get there. I hope it warms up next week so I can get out again.
It takes about 28 yards of fabric for a king-size quilt, front and back. I probably have more like 500 yards on my shelves. My stash is small compared to some of my friends. When you are an avid quilter, the fabric piles up.

Maggie, I take my king-size quilts and clankets to the laundromat up the street and let the lady there fuss with them. It's a lot easies. I don't use my Fitbit anymore. It isn't waterproof. I use my VivoFit and love it. I seldom take it off. I got it specifically because I could wear it in the pool.

Have a wonderful day.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:55 PM   #10  

Good Morning! Another cloudy cold, 18 degree day in my neighborhood. I made a WM run this morning and didn't even make it home before I realized I had forgotten a couple things. I forgot to even write them on my list so that is that. I'm working on my packing list this afternoon. I hate to pack any clothes yet because they will be so wrinkled and I hate wrinkles. We have a meeting at church tonight so that may be as exciting as my day gets.

"Gma," I hope you will have your new dishwasher asap. It will be interesting to find out the details on your brother's job. I don't think anyone's job is very secure these days, especially if the company wants you gone. We walked through Sears yesterday because Bob wanted a certain tool that he has only seen in their tool catalog. That store was pretty sad, not much inventory compared to Penneys. Penneys just finished a huge remodeling and it has a beautiful new look. Bob thought Sears was in trouble when they combined with K-Mart.

Susan, I hope your weather warms up so you can go out and about. Have fun with your new pot and quilt project!

I need to get something going for lunch. Hope the sun is now shining on all of you! Enjoy your day!

Last edited by Jean; 01-21-2016 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:05 PM   #11  
Thin Within

Talking Thuesday on a Rainey Day

The rain is coming down like buckets are being dumped. WOW the pitter patter on the roof sounds much louder than a nice pitter patter.

I was looking for a good recipe for Ciabatta Buns and have one that I had pasted in a book awhile back. I like making sandwiches the buns for they are low in points+ and hold up well much better than loaf bread does. The recipe was a loaf but I can make buns out of it. If it says it will make 24 slices than I will have 12 buns. I have had good success using Betty Crocker recipes. I have her bread machine cook book and pasted in the Ciabatta recipe I got from her web page. My little bread machine is currently out in our little storage building so when it quits raining I can retrieve it. I would get soaked during the very short walk to that little building. There are some things in here that I want to get out there to put on my shelf. Will made me a nice shelf for the appliances I don’t want in the MH but will be easy to get when I want to use them.

It is just about time for me to have some lunch of soup and sandwich and a couple of Cuties. I haven’t yet decided what to do for dinner but it will come to me when the time comes to make it. All of the meat we bought isn’t in the freezer yet.

SUSAN That is an excellent idea to take your quilts to the laundromat and let the manager do them. What kind of Fitbit do you have that you don't use anymore? I am glad the one you use is right for you and you are happy with it.

DONNA FAYE That is sad about your brother. Let us know what the final outcome with that is. I don't often get "hungry" days but when they hit ~ I am just glad I had points to use yesterday.

JEAN That was quite a mistake that checker made in charging you folks over double. Good it all got straightened out. My WW night is on Monday.

PS We just got back from town to take my WW Eating Out Guide and the Shopping Guide Spiral bound. I like them that way for they lay flat and are so much easier to read.

Last edited by Maggie; 01-21-2016 at 07:24 PM. Reason: u]
Old 01-22-2016, 07:45 AM   #12  

Good morning all. We have a layer of icy and now it is snowing pretty hard. They are expecting 4-6 inches which in this city will bring it to a stop almost. It is cold and gusty winds, which doesn't help either. Hopefully it will warm up quickly tomorrow and melt.

Jack went to work this morning and am waiting to hear he got there ok. I don't know how long they will stay. I think it will depend on how much and how fast the snow comes down. We have a lot of up in the air roads, which makes it very treacherous here as people won't slow down and drive cautiously. Our gate froze closed this morning so he had to get it opened before he could go get the Mariner to go to work.

Woohoo! I bought a new pair of jeans a size smaller and not only do they fit, but I can pull them up over my behind without unbuttoning and unzipping them. So, I have gone down two sizes now. I bought a couple sweaters that I probably could have gone down another size too. I only went down one size with those, but I don't like fitted anything.

Jean: I agree with Bob that Sears did a nosedive after buying out Kmart. The thing with Sears though is everyone considers it your parents or grandparents store. We don't shop at Sears even though there is one at the mall. I don't buy stuff online from them either. I do shop at Penneys and Macys mostly. Even then I usually only shop when they have sales.

Maggie: Glad you found your bun recipe. I like to make bread, but if we make it we eat it! Usually fairly quickly.

Susan: Hopefully this storm will bypass you as it is supposed to be pretty bad today. I have a delivery today and I am not sure what time it will get here. I feel sorry for delivery guys today. Have fun with the quilt.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:19 AM   #13  

Good morning, ladies. 29 degrees and waiting for the storm to start. VA has been put under a state of emergency for not only will we have rain and snow but also flooding. They closed the schools around here in case they can't get the kids safely home.

Today will be clean out the fridge day. Not a job I like, but it has to be done. Then it will be to do the floors downstairs. After that, it might be a good book kind of afternoon.

Faye, people around here can't even drive in rain let alone snow. I hope Jack is safe in his travels today. Congratulations on going down 2 sizes.

Jean, half the time I'm standing in the checkout line and remember something I forgot to put on the list. Then I debate what to do. Usually I opt to put it on the new list as soon as I get home.

Maggie, your shed sounds nice. I wondered how you were going to store all your appliances. My FitBit is old - a Flex. In between that and the VivoFit I had a BodyMedia which I really liked but you have to pay for their website and it also wasn't waterproof.

Have a wonderful day.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:44 PM   #14  

Good Morning! I've been for a pedicure, picked up a prescription, and made a quick stop at the grocery store. I'm starting on my "to do before we leave" list. The Sioux City newspaper installed one of those automated menu robots and I HATE those! I punch all kinds of buttons then get transferred to a real person.

Maggie, you can keep the rain! I hope it doesn't freeze and turn to snow for you. I like spiral bound books too. I have several cookbooks that are three ring/hard cover and they will lay flat. For someone who doesn't like to cook I have a lot of cookbooks.

"Gma," I hope Jack made it to work, and home again safely. On going down in sizes! We don't shop at Sears often but as you said, all of our parents were Sears customers. Guess we are kind of loyal since Bob worked for them for five years.

Susan, driving on "wet" can be just as dangerous as the ice and snow when one isn't used to it. I usually find something in the fridge that should have crawled out on its own. I splurged and bought a mystery paperback to take on the plane. I'm having a hard time waiting to start reading it.

I need to fold some laundry and scoop potty boxes. Hope you all enjoy a fantastic Friday!
Old 01-22-2016, 01:44 PM   #15  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friendly Friday

I put a roast in the crock pot and turned it on when we went to bed. Needless to say when we woke during the night we could smell it and hoping lunch came quickly. I cut slits in it and inserted slices of fresh garlic then sprinkled a packet of onion soup all over it then sprayed it with water. When lunch time came around we had some and it was very tender and yummy.

I am so glad I got my WW booklets spiral bound for they are so easy to use now. It was worth going to the “big city” to have them bound. They are sure handy for with this new program I have to check points+ to make sure I am putting down the correct amount of what I eat.

Will cut the branches off the trees lining the long driveway here and the owner went along with his pickup and loaded them in his truck bed and brought them to our yard for burning in our little fire pit. There is quite a pile of them with a few nice sized branches to burn nicely. I can look out my window and watch the birds going in and out toward the bottom. I hope they aren’t building nests in there.

We see quite a number of wild animals on our drive from here to the city. Coyotes, Skunks, Dogs, Cows that have gotten loose, Buzzards, lots of Birds, Possums, and some strange critters I can’t identify. I hear the Coyotes yodeling in the night as I go to sleep. They have a den not too far from here and wonder a certain area for food. They have tipped our trash barrel over several times.

There is the neatest feature on my Magic Chef Stove that is sure handy. It is a knob one turns when a top burner knob is turned and it lights it. We get a lot of use out of our Panasonic Microwave we installed when the other one started acting weird.

JEAN Our rain has stopped and we have wind.

SUSAN I did get rid of a lot of appliances that were seldom used when we moved. Having this little building for our "stuff" sure helps keep things organized. My Fitbid even alerts me when it needs a charge.

DONNA FAYE Graceous you have the weather. Hopefully your main squeeze makes to to and from work safely. for going down 2 sizes.

Last edited by Maggie; 01-22-2016 at 01:45 PM.